Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: To buy jwords

To buy jwords

I couldn't find any suitable subforum to ask.
    So I apologize that the place is not suitable.
    I live in Argentina, it is quite difficult to keep shooting. More than anything, we didn't get jwords to fire long range. It is one of the reasons why I entered this forum and started casting.
    A close friend is about to travel to Orlando to take his children to Disney, and we would like to buy some jwords, here in Argentina we must do a process in our government entity, so that they authorize us to enter the country.
    But we don't know anything about what we need to buy them in Florida, and get them on a plane legally.
    Does anyone know where to find out?
    Thank you

You can go into any sporting goods store that sell reloading supplies and buy them. To do so requires nothing but the mkney. They are not a controlled item so you need no ID, just like buying cornflakes. Bass Pro Shops, Scheels or Academy or a local gun shop should have boolits.

Now getting them back to Argentina may be a different problem.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Grand Master
    Can you not order bullets from a supplier in the US and import them? When I lived in Canada I would order from the US and have times shipped. Sometimes Canada Customs would hold items and I would need to pay import duty and other times they came to my door.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Let’s let this fellow know that bullets aren’t in abundant supply here in this country. I wouldn’t lead him to believe he’ll simply get all he needs (or even any he needs) by going into a sporting goods store. I’ve been finding it “hit or miss” even buying on the internet the last couple of years. Some calibers are available most of the time if you’re not particular about brand or weight….like .223 or .308. I’d suggest he call ahead and see about buying before he gets here.

Boolit Master
    Depending on what caliber and type of bullets the OP is looking for, they MAY BE restricted by ITAR. Honestly, if I was in his position, I would be talking to distributors in the US who export things like this. More expensive, possibly, but legal.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Here, you can go into any store that sells them, and buy them like you would a candy bar or a pair of socks.

Call the airlines company they're flying on, and ask if they have any restrictions on them.
    They'll tell if you can carry them on their plane.
    It shouldn't be a problem, since it isn't loaded ammunition, but I'd check anyway.

Then I'd call your customs people and ask if they can be imported when your friend gets back home.

Another possible option would be to buy them in Florida, and send them back on Fed-Ex or UPS.
    I had a buddy who did that-
    for some reason, he had problems carrying car (repair) parts back home to Mexico.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Buy a mold and cast your own ???

Boolit Buddy
    Have you considered powder coating and gas checks for higher velocity and using at longer ranges? I really think j-words would be itar regulated and you don't want those kind of legal issues.

I'm not sure if gas checks fall under itar but it would be worth checking on.
    Last edited by Cargo; 08-20-2022 at 02:45 PM.
    Cargo

Thank you all for the answers, I'm already making my own boolits, but beyond 600 meters, it's the domain of jwords, or I still haven't found a way to make them as precise as a matchking saw box.
    Here we already know that we can enter with a permit that can be requested. It only remains to ask at the airline, to avoid problems. A few years ago, a friend of mine who worked a few days in the USA told me that he would go to Walmart and bring the bullets that he would shoot on the weekend at the range, that those times are long gone.

Boolit Master

As others said, check with the airline and explain that they are projectiles and not loaded ammunition. Be sure the contact understands. My own experience is that I had to put unloaded brass in my checked luggage. It couldn’t be in the carry-on luggage. I was traveling within the USA so no exporting issues. Best of luck!
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

BEWARE_about here, I remember the problems encountered in having a used wooden stock sent to me a few years ago. I would say that U.S. ITAR laws will forbid it. period.
    the main problem in your case will not be the airlines, not your country or my country laws, but the U.S. Custom. they will be quite efficient to confiscate in the States the whole material, as once happened with my never-arrived-here bare piece of wood. the would-be sender would also risk other legal and/or administrative consequences, unless they have adequate certification about the end user, which is expensive and/or bureaucratically almost impossible to obtain, except being an approved-certified (Argentine) distributor or dealer.
    in reality, only an Argentine dealer could help or answer with full knowledge about the actual import-export laws and shipping relations between the two nations.
    anyway googling AHEAD the ITAR laws you would notice the problems.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...ms_Regulations
    to be clear, U.S. ITAR does not limit and regulate in a very careful and meticulous way only the import-export of sophisticated technologies, but in our case the export of every gun related item except books and handloading manuals.
    afaik at today.

said that, you can bet that I would be happy to be wrong and to be corrected by others, learning some happier news.
    I'm sorry
    Last edited by wilecoyote; 08-21-2022 at 08:57 AM. Reason: of
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

You may want to research Swaging as an alternative. It is EXPENSIVE to get into, but you would be able to make the bullets you need.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

A few years ago, in 2013, I was in Austin, and I bought a leupold mark4 there, at the airport in Guarda they opened my suitcase and left the padlock stuck on a piece of cardboard that said that it had been the US government that I had checked my bag.
    I don't want to go against any law, there haven't been a couple of Sierra boxes here for a couple of years, from time to time Hornady comes in, but more than anything he hunts bullets.
    Swaging would be a great solution, but I don't know if it could reach the quality that can be obtained in commercial bullets.
    So I'll keep looking for info, so as not to break any laws.

my 2c. of afterthought:
    regardless of your specific question above, I was wondering if it would not be easier for you to import what you need into Argentina through a European distributor, assuming that the costs are sustainable and the laws allow it.
    Germany, for example, has a significant reloading import-export and distribution network. I don't know much about it, but maybe it might help you to inquire.
    hope can help
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Buddy
    My PH on my trip to South Africa last year asked me about buying some rifle bullets back in the US and sending them to him. I checked on the customs regulations. I understand it's illegal to export rifle components, at least bullets and brass. Shotshells were less restrictive.
    I told him sorry. I didn't want to get jammed up trying to export something that could be seized by customs.
    I agree that the best bet is to work with a distributor who may do export orders.