Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: 10mm Auto video

Moderator Emeritus

10mm Auto video

The ubiquitous 10mm Auto -- my most favourite pistol calibre -- has made the pendulum swing from "most desired" to "no good" - and has been swinging back as folks take another look, and appreciate this cartridge.
    Wolfe Publishing / Handloader put out another marvelous video. I enjoyed it, and -- as always -- learned a bit... Hey -- I did not know that the original was created from a .30-30 Remington case cut down to 0.999"! And....
    Here's the YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjL-5KEbTug
    geo

Boolit Bub
    I like my old Delta, got it a long time ago with about 60 through it, I put another ten or so.. collecting dust. The original owner said he would like it back... I said I spent more on reloading components than the 450.00 I purchased the gun for... Kinda feel bad, hesitated to tell him the average going price for it now... He'd really hate me then... I'll have to take it for a drive some day!

Boolit Buddy
    I still lean towards revolvers as a wilderness pistol, but I've been playing some with the 10mm in the Glock 20 and a Kimber 1911. I like both the model 20 and 1911 but haven't committed to either yet. In semi auto the 10mm is about the most interesting option revolvers get more choices caliber wise. Interesting video and the 10mm does seem to be going thru a second or third upswing in interest.

Boolit Master
    My daughter’s boyfriend picked up a 10mm auto. Being a good doobie I dug thru my ammo and unearthed a box I put together in September ‘93 - 180 gr 40143/ 8.5 gr Blue Dot/ 1150fps. This is for my Ruger Blackhawk Buckeye Special .38-40/10mm revolver. Turned out to be too long for the magazine, so had to look up max OAL 1.250, find the dies, and reseat to 1.245. Hardest part was reading the caliper, with extra strong reading glasses. Don’t know how they shoot yet in the auto. Hope we can find the brass.
    Last edited by 26Charlie; 08-29-2022 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Sp
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

Boolit Master
    The opinions of the world can come and go. 10mm is God's cartridge in my mind. Have one on my hip (Glock 20) that is my EDC, and another on my desk (RIA Rock Ultra HC) that is getting a magazine repair. I think it is only five more in the safe: Glock 29, Witness, Witness Match, Para P16/10mm and a Ruger SR1911. Always on the lookout for another good deal though!

The author of the video is spot on about the 10mm Auto history with the FBI being surrounded by facts and lore. Unfortunately he fell victim to one of the more commonly repeated parts of the lore. The FBI only ever tested or issued "FBI Light" loads. Full power ammo was never official. In the ammo tests of the late '80's the Delta Elite included was the personal property of one of the lab techs, and he was concerned about frame cracking reported with full power ammo. As a result, he handloaded the test rounds used in the ammo testing well below full spec 10mm. The ammo performed so well the reduced load as adopted with the cartridge. The issue FBI agents had was dealing with the size and weight of the gun compared to the smaller 9mm auto's and 357/38 revolvers they were used to. Many assumed shooting was shooting and didn't invest the time becoming familiar with the new platform. Scores reflected the lack of training on the new gun. Agents also didn't care for the weight of the S&W 1076, and FBI required changes to the S&W third gen DA/SA trigger resulted in locked up guns. The confluence of these events resulted in the FBI moving away from the cartridge and platform quickly.

But, in fairness to the video, that long and wordy reality doesn't play as well as "Agents couldn't manage shooting the awesome 10mm Auto". So the flashy story is the lore retold.
    My isotope lead page: http://fellingfamily.net/isolead/

Boolit Master

10mm Auto video

Quote Originally Posted by david s View Post
    I still lean towards revolvers as a wilderness pistol, but I've been playing some with the 10mm in the Glock 20 and a Kimber 1911. I like both the model 20 and 1911 but haven't committed to either yet. In semi auto the 10mm is about the most interesting option revolvers get more choices caliber wise. Interesting video and the 10mm does seem to be going thru a second or third upswing in interest.
    Same here, but one of my faves is a GP100 MC 10mm.

I’d love it a lot more if someone would make rimmed brass.

I did look at a Tisa the other day. Tempting.

Banner Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    The ubiquitous 10mm Auto -- I did not know that the original was created from a .30-30 Remington case cut down to 0.999"! And....
    Here's the YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjL-5KEbTug
    geo
    The video says it's was made from a cut down 30 Remington case.

Boolit Master
    I've got one of the Lipsey stainless Ruger Blackhawks, 6.5" with 10mm and .40 S&W cylinders. I have a chance to pick up a 4" S&W 610 for a reasonable price but will have to really think about it as I have 2 .44 Mag Mountain Guns as well as 2 4" 625s. It is a neat caliber, but the others can do a lot, too. With the price and availability situation with 10mm brass I'd sure hate to have a semi auto flinging the brass around. GF