Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCBS 45-300 and wild hogs....

RCBS 45-300 and wild hogs....

Howdy folks!

after having persisted for three or four years with 400 grainers to shoot hogs, I just switched to 300 grains bullits.
    I tried RCBS 45-405, MP 46-400 solid & Hollow pointed, Accurate 46-400BG, in various alloys, hard and soft, and I had goods results, excellent accuracy, but the boar never dropped in his tracks... (except a very special case). He would always run for his last 30 yards, even when perfectly shot. I've never retrieved a slug in the hogs (except one special case), the bullet goes through, I assume without losing much power.
    Same thing last sunday, while a buddy shot one stone dead with his 9,3x74R. His bullet expansed perfectly, reaching the size of my 45, and we found it under the skin of the opposite side.
    So I came up with the idea to try 300 grainers, to gain speed, and avoid the "freight train" effect.
    Yesterday I was lucky to shoot a hog, not too big (100Lbs), but pretty tough. I shot it from 15 meters, with a RCBS 45-300, weighing 325 grains with my 1/16 lead tin alloy. The boar fell stone dead, and I found the bullet under the skin on the opposite side. It mushroomed perfectly, without any mass loss.
    I'm pretty satisfied, I assume the 420 grainers would better suit the huge ones, but I never know their size in advance, nor from what distance I'm to shoot. I think the truth lies in the 350 grains for boars, at least for my way of hunting.
    I'm thinking about ordering a new mold from Accurate, but still the RCBS gets the job done...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20220819_181315[1].jpg  

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Nice...are you using pure soft lead with the 16/1 mix? I use the same alloy with pure lead from flooring in .430 HP devastators. The BH is 7.5. It makes a nice flat shape when shooting in water. Figured it will look like your expanded boolit in deer pushed at 1600 fps out of my rifle.

Looks very good, good shot placement and good bullet performance. Here in FL I use the 300s with good results on wild hogs. Shot behind the shoulder, low of center top to bottom, is my favorite spot. Seems like the hydraulic effect is enough to drop them pretty much on the spot from the 45 or 45-70.
    This the Mauser in 45-70 I use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D89C53DA-D6E5-4432-BC1A-9321452293FA.jpg  
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    I use a 300 or 350 gr bullet in my 45-70's for hogs here in Texas. The 400's and larger punch straight through but the 300's will expand and anchor them in place. The exception is when you hit a hog with a 400 in the head or tail end, or a quartering shot. I shot a good sized hog in the chest with a 500 gr lead bullet and it went all the way through and out his hind side. He laid down and died on the spot.

Your bullet performed perfectly - doesn't get any better than that...

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Nice...are you using pure soft lead with the 16/1 mix? I use the same alloy with pure lead from flooring in .430 HP devastators. The BH is 7.5. It makes a nice flat shape when shooting in water. Figured it will look like your expanded boolit in deer pushed at 1600 fps out of my rifle.
    Yep, soft lead with tin, which gives about 7/8 BHN. But I gave up on HP's, at least for hogs.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I would stick with solids too for hogs since they have tough hides and huge bones. I’m sure that soft expanding alloy dumps all its energy explaining why it dropped on the spot. Great job!

Boolit Buddy
    i understand the “need” for one more mould, and a 350-grain bullet is a good compromise. I used a bullet of about that weight in one of my .45-70s to good effect. But in the field, will an additional 25 grains really make any difference? I suspect not….

The need would be rather a bullet with a slightly bigger diameter.
    I had good results with the RCBS, and I had excellent results with my MP 46-420 and Accurate 46-400BG.
    But you're right, one can do with it lifelong!

Boolit Master
    Monsieur,

What velocities do you suppose you are getting with the 325 grain projectiles? The way you describe taking the last hog, the bullet stopped exactly where it was supposed to, and so did the hog. Determine the velocity at which the 325 gr. bullet was launched, and you have an effective, repeatable combination for feral pork.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

I assume it's around 1600fps.
    A friend of mine ows a chronograph, I'll try one of these days.

I wouldn’t call a bullet a failure if the pig ran 30 yards. I’ve shot my share of Florida hogs with 255 grain cast in 45 Colt, 300 grain jacketed Colt rounds and 423 grains of paper-patched 45-70 at 1,850 f/s. With each bullet, some dropped and some ran.

Here the bush is very thick, so thick that's sometimes you can't walk through. And there are many roads...
    I'm still worried when a hog is wounded, and dogs are after him. It can be a disaster.

Wow, great expansion. A dime is about .710", and you've got a least .900".
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

I'm still worried when a hog is wounded, and dogs are after him.
    Carry a 10mm? I carry 165gr TC 40sw and it works. Friend had a jam in his 9mm, racked the slide real fast! Fortunately he used fmj. Hog head & front is tough. Did a texas heart shot on 150# and it ran 50 yds with broken leg and jaw.
    Whatever!

I've already given the matter some thought!
    Last edited by Bouteselle; 08-30-2022 at 01:10 PM.

Boolit Master
    That boolit mushroomed very well. I've butchered quite a few domestic hogs, and a few feral ones. Their hides are tougher than about anything out there and I can see why it stopped that chunk of lead on the offside.
    I've shot a number of deer with the 45/70 and the NOE 405 WFN GC that cycles in the Marlin 1895 CB perfectly. I expect a death run, but am quite pleased when they topple over on the spot, as well. My alloy is range scrap. Not as soft as what you are using, but soft nonetheless, as I prefer some expansion, as well. Tracking is easier with two holes, in my experience.
    Hope you continue to achieve the results you are looking for.

Boolit Master
    I like pure lead paper patched for hogs. Among other things.
    https://imgur.com/RENinxM
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Grand Master

[QUOTE
    I assume the 420 grainers would better suit the huge ones, but I never know their size in advance, nor from what distance I'm to shoot. [/QUOTE]

The RCBS 405's shoot into 1" at 100 yards for me using Elmers load (53 grains IMR 3031) and has NEVER failed to anchor a hog for me.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Another boar, another boolit, same story.

Quote Originally Posted by Bouteselle View Post
    Another boar, another boolit, same story.

Well seems to me it is working pretty good. I loaded 300 and 340 grain bullets in a Marlin 45-70 I had pushing them to 1500 fps. Difference being I water quenched the bullets made of WW. I rarely had anything drop unless I hit CNS but I always got exits. My bullets were a bit hard. Maybe if you want exits you could slightly harden your alloy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast