MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gifted a MEC loader, wads, primers and shot

That's an amazing gift. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it!

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    You do need matching shells and wads, with the right crimp. The MEC comes with powder and shot bushings, at times you can find the adjustable bars, the bushings are like using a Little Dipper.
    Many times in the back of old reloading manuals they have shot shell reloading pages.
    The 12 and 20 are easy to reload, but hulls for 20 are scarce right now. The 28 is a good squirrel gun or quail or woodcock gun. For clays the 28 and 20 are sub guage guns. 12 and 16s shoot together and the 410 is always by itself in class.
    Get yourself a manual and check the press you were given against it. I was given a 20 like that, by the time I replaced the missing parts, it was an over $100, gift. Precision Reloading sells MECs, shot, hulls, plastic wads cups, etc.
    I use off size magnum or chilled lead, same thing, for making my very hard alloy. O, use old empty shot bags and old primers to make bench rest bags..
    I got 1000 20 ga. wads and 250 12 ga wads with this.
    There is also a zip loc bag with powder but I have no idea what it is. It doesn't smell so I am sure it is good. I just don't have any idea what it is. Certainly not going to use it.
    Thanks for the Precision Reloading site. I will make an icon on my desktop to take me there. I'm sure I will be using them.
    I have been casting and reloading for some 40 years, and this shotshell stuff is all new to me.
    I will get the press set up on the bench, then do an inventory to make sure all the parts are there. If some are missing, then I will order what I need.
    I may well post here with questions as we move forward. Shotshell reloading is new to me.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Banned

I have loaded over 20,000 rounds on a MEC 650. It doesn't size the brass so check the hulls in your shotgun to ensure that they chamber well before you load up a bunch!

OK...so now I am REALLY confused!
    I took everything out of the boxes and took a good look at the press and start to see how the thing works.
    I discovered that just because the shell plates are round, and the tool heads are round, does NOT make it a progressive press.
    DUH!
    It is a single stage press. To me, a bullet reloader, that meant a press like an RCBS RockChucker. But nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
    So now it looks like a 600 or some variation.
    I will continue the saga but not as quickly as it would be with a progressive.
    I am still looking forward to learning the process of shotshell reloading.......even if it is a single stage.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    OK...so now I am REALLY confused!
    I took everything out of the boxes and took a good look at the press and start to see how the thing works.
    I discovered that just because the shell plates are round, and the tool heads are round, does NOT make it a progressive press.
    DUH!
    It is a single stage press. To me, a bullet reloader, that meant a press like an RCBS RockChucker. But nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
    So now it looks like a 600 or some variation.
    I will continue the saga but not as quickly as it would be with a progressive.
    I am still looking forward to learning the process of shotshell reloading.......even if it is a single stage.
    Actually, you should get good with a 600 and then you will easily understand the 650. It works.

Boolit Master
    Single stage makes loading buckshot EASY.

Boolit Buddy
    Had a 650 for over 40 yrs they are a fantastic press,I switched to a seperate case sizer conditioner and removed the decap- sizer die, less disturbance of powder when in use,more accurate powder drop.One other good add on is the adjustable shot and powder bar,available as an after market item.Have loaded thousands of rounds on the 650. A great bit of kit. Cheers Mal in au.

You made out, my last bag of #9 was 60.00 plus a tank of gas and a ticket to the gunshow, I got 2 bags of #8.5 for 50.00 a bag in a ftf deal and got to hang out with my son as the ftf was 20 minutes from his place. Powder is coming back and shotshells can be loaded with a huge variety of powders. Time to learn a new skill.

Boolit Buddy
    When you said you had spare dies for .20 I was somewhat perplexed insofar as I know MEC never advertised the 650 as convertible.........but the 600 explains it. I picked up an old 650 years back and had to refit several parts and it has served me well......MEC's great to deal with. That took care of the .12 need, but then I was given a 77 sizemaster in .20....which ga. I do not shoot....Did need .16 and MEC obliged with an easily installed kit.............Truly, those single stage rigs are not all that much slower than the progressive. Primer feed is a good idea and an adjustable charge & shot bar will round it out.........google Ballistic Products and get their catalog........has about anything you'd ever want for shotgunning. Enjoy!

Boolit Buddy
    One thing you don’t just change gauges on Mec shot shell loaders.Once you convert one to another gauge you usually leave it that gauge.It’s different in that way from metallic loading.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12