Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gifted a MEC loader, wads, primers and shot

Gifted a MEC loader, wads, primers and shot

I was gifted a MEC progressive loader in perfect condition (it almost looks new) set up for 12 ga and apparently the 20 ga tools are there too. Extra bottles, a thousand wads each guage, a thousand 209 primers and 50+ lbs of #8 shot.
    There is a ziploc bag with powder that will probably be put into the garden for fertilizer. I have no idea what it is and i don't want to guess.
    What is the typical lead makeup of shot?
    I don't load shotgun (yet) but I might.
    I might also use the shot as an alloying material but I have no idea what it is made up of.
    Can anyone enlighten me?
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Buddy
    With the current prices of shot, I myself, would NOT melt the shot and re-cast it. I would use the components for reloading shotshells. If you decide that you will never reload any shotshells, then sell the entire package. I realize I probably did not answer your question, but that's what I would do. I may be slightly biased, since I reload shotshells as well.

Boolit Master

You owe it to yourself to set it up and give it a try. I have MEC 600 Jr. for 410 and with the prices of 12ga these days I just may invest in that one also. You cast and reload well be an all round guy. Since you have all the components you could make a lot of ammo for sweat equity.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Buddy
    Ditto ^. Lead shot is almost unobtanium locally for me, so it's worth more if you pass it to the next user or trade it for lead scrap to somebody who will use it. What model MEC (as they made several porgressives).
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    Magnum shot is sometimes listed as having 4-5% antimony. Many different makers so hard to give a good answer.

Boolit Master
    I would consider finding a good pump scatter gun .....

Boolit Master
    When I plug lube holes on my Star lube die, straight lead #8 shot fills the hole with 1 tap of my brass hammer. Magnum shot not so much. It wants to hold it's shape. Straight lead looks like a pancake and hard lead looks like a marshmallow.

Boolit Master

For goodness sake, use that #8 shot for your shotshells. Whether it's "chilled" or "magnum" really makes no difference at Skeet or 16yd Trap. I like to frequent estate sales and if I come across a bag of shot, I'll try and get it. I don't care brand, antimony content, nuthin'.... if it's round and passes my visual inspection, it goes in the shells and gets shot on the skeet/trap field. I'll be a bit more picky for hunting shot but for clay games, go for it!!!
    Semper Fi!

To address the question;
    I’ve been told that the composition of shot will vary quite a bit. Perhaps you could melt and mix a handful then have it analyzed.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
    Ditto ^. Lead shot is almost unobtanium locally for me, so it's worth more if you pass it to the next user or trade it for lead scrap to somebody who will use it. What model MEC (as they made several porgressives).
    Good question. I will take a closer look and see if I can tell. I'll post here and maybe you guys can give me some advice.
    I have no idea of the availability of lead shot - as a caster and reloader I have plenty of wheel weights and all components, but never had a reason to know about shotgun components.
    OK...you guys convinced me. I'll keep the shot as is.
    A new part of reloading - shotshell. The only thing I need is powder and that is beginning to be available again.
    Just bought a CZ 28 ga. double. Actually traded a mint Colt Official Police straight across for it.
    OH BOY! A new project....just what I need.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

With a buckshot mold Clip on Wheel Weights will make very nice buckshot. I would recomend #1 shot as 00 can be painful to work with.

Also consider a lee 7/8ths oz slug mold. Both Buck and slugs are hard to find at times and expensive.
    They will make the most of your ability to cast and load shotshells.

12 ga 2 3/4 in buck is selling for right at 50 cents a round according to ammoseek.

You could cut that price a fair amount, like 30-35 cents ea.

I like a little filler in my buck but I just use a scoop of Cornmeal.Biodegradable, easy to work with. And I use an overshot card punched out of white milk jug plastic. The trick is balancing everything to get the stack height to come out right to get nice clean solid crimps.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Moderator Emeritus

I would keep them and get yourself a shotgun to try trap, skeet, and sporting Clay's. Bet you get hooked on sporting Clay's. I have the MEC in 12 and 410. Keep em and have some fun. You can adjust your loads vs factory to suit your shooting style.

Well, it looks like a 600 or a 650 progressive. There are not any model numbers on it but that piece of equipment is virtually NEW!
    What a gift! As I get into understanding shotshell reloading better, I will post the goodies that came with it.
    There is a plastic fishing tackle box ful of odds and ends....I THINK the 20 ga. pieces.
    Everything but powder which I will take care of shortly.
    This should prove to be interesting.
    I have 3 shotguns - a 1920's Baker Black Beauty Special 30" M/F, a CZ 28ga s/s with a number of chokes, and a Serbu Super Shorty 20 ga. 6" 3 shot pump Mossberg 20ga AOW.
    Now I need to learn shotshell reloading!
    This is virtually a new reloader. I will put it to good use!
    Last edited by FISH4BUGS; 08-22-2022 at 06:48 AM.

Boolit Master

Pick up a copy of Lymans Shotshell reloading handbook.
    It should be a great help.

Before you melt that shot, I’ll send you 1 pound wheel weight ingots lb for lb, we each pay medium flat rate shipping ( about $15). Let me know.

Boolit Buddy
    I wouldn't melt it. Shot has been running around $65-$70 per 25lbs lately. Nice score, just load it and shoot it.

Boolit Master

I cringe when I see someone mention melting perfectly good shot. It's SO expensive now.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Well, OK...I won't melt the shot. There is about 50 lbs all told.
    I took a closer look last night and it appears to be a 650.
    The automatic primer feed is not there. I guess that is an option?
    I think I can still order it from MEC.
    Also looks like the resizing can be done on the press or with an accessory resizer.
    Very interesting process.....not all that different from the Dillon 550.
    I think i might wait for winter to undertake the learning curve.
    Winters are long and hard here in NH. I need SOMETHING to do.....

Boolit Master

As others said, keep the shot.. It's unavailable in many places..and expensive where available. Check the powder for red or green flecks in it....

You do need matching shells and wads, with the right crimp. The MEC comes with powder and shot bushings, at times you can find the adjustable bars, the bushings are like using a Little Dipper.
    Many times in the back of old reloading manuals they have shot shell reloading pages.
    The 12 and 20 are easy to reload, but hulls for 20 are scarce right now. The 28 is a good squirrel gun or quail or woodcock gun. For clays the 28 and 20 are sub guage guns. 12 and 16s shoot together and the 410 is always by itself in class.
    Get yourself a manual and check the press you were given against it. I was given a 20 like that, by the time I replaced the missing parts, it was an over $100, gift. Precision Reloading sells MECs, shot, hulls, plastic wads cups, etc.
    I use off size magnum or chilled lead, same thing, for making my very hard alloy. O, use old empty shot bags and old primers to make bench rest bags..
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast