Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Help with scope ID Please

Help with scope ID Please

Hi, All.
    Can anyone identify the scope on this SSG-69? I'm considering making an offer on it but a picture is all I have to go from. Not able to inspect in person. From what I have read it is supposed to be an accurate rifle but hard to find what they are going for. It looks like an older scope but it is not the Kahles scope that originally came on them. Any idea of what a good price would be - I know hard with only pic to go from. Auction has about a dozen guns all of older vintage except a Savage and Remington (neither of much interest).
    Thanks,
    ETG
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SSG-69.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Blowing up the pic shows what appears to be a 'bump', for lack of a better word, on the eyepiece which you see on scopes with illuminated reticles. The pic gets to fuzzy to make out the logo on the scope turret.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Yes, some of the other pics are not as good of the scope but it does look light an illumination knob. Kind of makes me think the scope is a 70s-80s el-cheapo but the rings are definitely Steyr.
    Thanks,
    ETG

Boolit Master
    The scope is a current production as you say el cheapo no doubt from china. The last ssg I saw went for around 1200.00 if I remember right and that was with no scope.

Thanks. At least the rings are Styer. I have never handled one of these but from what I have read they had to be at least .5 MOA to leave the factory. That was with production match ammo so I'll be thrilled if that is true and I win it. A lot of "if"s in there.
    Thanks again.
    ETG

If a scope doesn't have the maker's name on it, it leads you to believe it's some cheapie knock off of a good one.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Isn't that rifle chambered in 5.45x39 mm?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Isn't that rifle chambered in 5.45x39 mm?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    No, It is chambered in 7.62x51 NATO. It was the primary Austrian military and LE sniper rifle. It was also adopted by many other countries as their primary sniper rifle.
    Last edited by ETG; 08-21-2022 at 09:43 AM.

Hi, All.
    I won the SSG for $685. With auctions fees and taxes it ended up costing $850. The gun is in excellent condition. A few little rubbed spots on the stock but not a scratch on the metal. Sweet trigger by itself but when using the set trigger it is every bit as good as my Jewel set at 2 oz. That big old el-cheapo scope that was on it is a 3.5-15 Nightforce I am one happy camper!

Boolit Master
    Nicely done.

Thanks, can't wait to try it out. Just have to load up some 308 match rounds.

Boolit Buddy
    Nice score !!

The original scopes were 26.mm,,so he updated the rings too..
    The 69 is a wonderful rifle,, though an odd-duck with an unthreaded thermally pressed in barrel, which kind of puts the kabash on rebarreling.. Though I've never seen one that really required one..

Thanks yovirnny.The original was also a 4 or 6x Khars. I have pressed ln many AK barrels but never a 26” barrel for around 3”. You didn’t have to use heat either. Thankfully the barrel looks like new - no noticeable muzzle or throat erosion.

Boolit Master

some scopes are not calibrated with 1/4" at 100 yds clicks, but are set up based on metric division of 10's. What is this scope calibrated for?
    best
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Atr, the clicks are 1/8th MOA. It is a ranging reticle. From what I have found it is a NP-1RR. I know the NP-R2. I use those on my 50s. I haven’t been able to find the information on the reticle. Almost looks like three vertical crosshairs. I assume the bars and circles across the bottom correspond to a known size - they get smaller going from 300 to 800.Not sure if it is yards or meters though. The dope cards give both yards and meter settings. The previous owner was definitely a long range shooter.

If it's NC-Star you will have to verify any and all of the information from specs/manuals on practice.
    I've been looking into cheap made-in-China scopes for quite some time, and when you find a review written by an actual rifleman most of them speak about deviation from the specs, which they find out once at the range. Most of them a hit and miss. You may get a gem or a lemon, out of one batch of scopes.
    Remarks by President Biden on the Hostage Situation at Congregation Beth Israel in Colleyville, Texas, January 16, 2022:
    "But you can’t stop something like this if someone is on the street buying something from somebody else on the street."

Tokarev, it was actually a Nightforce Varminter. Now they call it a benchrest model. The reticle is no longer offered by Nightforce.