MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LEAD FREE SHOT, for pigs??

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    When shooting a wild animal there’s always an unknown factor. I’ve seen bears run off after being shot several times with .30 caliber rifles. A friend had a black bear in a tree next to his cabin. He shot it in the backside with birdshot. Three minutes later it fell down dead. You can never know what it will take to kill an animal. That’s why, in my opinion, it’s best to have more power then you would think. Too bad about all the restrictions now and coming.

Boolit Master
    Perspective based on years of shooting rifles, pistols and shotguns. Have never used “non-toxic” shot of any style, but have put down a lot of critters over the years. On point of shooting hogs I pass this along for what it’s worth.

1993-1995 in Georgia: 77 dead hogs shots of 20 ga #3 buckshot. 9 of those were taken with 3 shots. Range varied from 10-40 yards. Weight ranged from ~40-250+ pounds.

From 2007-2015 I killed over 150 hogs with a TC Contender Carbine using CB shorts. One required a second shot. On one occasion 5 were killed without taking a step. Two mature at ~250# and 3 at 60 pounds. CB’s are quiet. Hogs aren’t the brightest creatures.

Placement is important, but with a shotgun it’s a general theory.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    Those steel or even bismuth loads with #BB's or T shot are NOT going to be effective on a hog! I've plucked out #4 and even #0 lead buckshot out of the shield of hogs that were hit at 15 yards and didn't penetrate the vitals. I would plan on taking slugs or plan on wounding some hogs.
    OP has said biggest is 120lb.......you fellas tell me 20lb is a piglet.....120lb boar over here had a thin shield..sows none at all and smaller than 80lb nothing does,so stand by my comments.

Boolit Master
    heck back in the bad old days ,my father would pinch my older brithers glass marbles,tip the birdshot out of a shell and poke in a marble and refold crimp..he shot bailed pigs with them...Ive personally shot pigs with #4 lead birdshot..bailed by dogs under 5 yards,the shotcup/wad was found inside skin of boars neck...would have been more than 120lbs or dogs would have held it to be stuck. get in as close as you can then 5 yards closer.

Boolit Master

OK I know of a Non Toxic shot you can use
    Hevi-Shot makes and loads "T" and OO Buck shot made out of Hevi Shot
    Not cheap , as my 1 3/8 oz loads of #2 Hevi shot is $2+ per shell for the shot alone
    But it is heavier than lead and a lot harder
    I did a quick search and found the T and OO Buckshot loaded shells
    I have not bought any Hevi Shot to load in a while , so I am not sure who sells the large pellets
    To load Hevi Shot is not hard
    BUT it takes steel shot wads , 3" hulls and normally "Steel" Powder
    The Steel Powder is a PITA as it dose not like to go through a powder measure
    So I weigh ever charge of powder
    Also Steel Powder need a LOT of wad pressure , like 80 lb min , for my long range goose and turkey loads
    I use 100 lb or a bit more of wad pressure
    Also Hevi Shot dose NOT like much choke
    For geese I use a Mod or Light Mod choke tube for 60+ yard shots
    My long range turkey load out of a Extra Full choke tube
    Has a 12" pattern at 40 yards , so I use a red dot sight on that shotgun
    But I have killed turkeys at 60+ yards cleanly with 1 shot with Hevi shot

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Buddy
    Hevi-shot sells a Dead Coyote load with a tungsten blend OO 3" 12ga. load. Says lethal on coyotes out to 70 yards. Expensive though.

Boolit Man
    Shot several 100ish pound pigs at 10 to 20 yards with #2 heavy shot. Found I got around 10 to 15 inches of penetration in just meat no bones or shield. I try to pick shots from the rear quarter and aim at the last rib, so I miss the heavy bones and impact the lungs.They never go very far after the shot.Savage 24, 30/30 over 20 gauge. Shoot 1 standing with the shotgun barrel, then if I can get a standing headshot I use the rifle, no lost animals.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dan View Post
    Perspective based on years of shooting rifles, pistols and shotguns. Have never used “non-toxic” shot of any style, but have put down a lot of critters over the years. On point of shooting hogs I pass this along for what it’s worth.

1993-1995 in Georgia: 77 dead hogs shots of 20 ga #3 buckshot. 9 of those were taken with 3 shots. Range varied from 10-40 yards. Weight ranged from ~40-250+ pounds.

From 2007-2015 I killed over 150 hogs with a TC Contender Carbine using CB shorts. One required a second shot. On one occasion 5 were killed without taking a step. Two mature at ~250# and 3 at 60 pounds. CB’s are quiet. Hogs aren’t the brightest creatures.

Placement is important, but with a shotgun it’s a general theory.
    i totally agree with this post! I was going to post that in my opinion the op would be better off with a 22 long rifle and a shotgun. But I was afraid that the topic would get loaded up with a plethora of people stating how hard it is to kill a hog.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 45workhorse View Post
    Best bet, mount you a pig sticker on the end of that shotgun.
    One of them antique boar spears!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Master
    I think I'll stick to a rifle, 30-30, 308, 44, 45. You see what I mean. At any range other than close I've seen very poor results with a shotgun.

Boolit Master
    even lyman themselves in loading manuals have solids and buckshot for very short range....

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by LAKEMASTER View Post
    I'm going to hunt a place that requires non toxic shot.

In Arizona
    Arizona recommends non-toxic but it is not required except for waterfowl. Page 83
    https://azgfd-portal-wordpress-panth...ons_220616.pdf

https://www.raptorresource.org/learn...condor%20range.

Arizona: No ban
    Non-toxic shot is required for waterfowling per federal law, but Arizona has no additional bans in place. The Arizona Game and Fish Department encourages the use of non-lead ammunition and gut pile removal in Arizona’s condor range. The AGFD offers free non-lead ammunition to hunters drawn for hunts in the north Kaibab National Forest and the Arizona Strip. Hunters who use lead ammo and pick up gut piles are entered into a prize raffle.

The north Kaibab Forest borders the north rim of the Grand Canyon and is contiguous with the Arizona strip, which lies north of the Kaibab. Both areas are condor habitat.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    anyone make copper buckshot?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Milsurp Junkie View Post
    anyone make copper buckshot?
    Possibly, but it isn't dense enough to be worth anything.

Thank you everyone for the replies. Settled on 00 steel per the guys who have been doing it. Might try 3/8 shot one day.
    Lake Havasu City... Born and raised

Boolit Grand Master

What?! You aren't honestly going to shoot a 00 sized steel bearing! What moron told you they did that?

Boolit Master
    steel shot is NOT a steel ball bearing.... but all the same for crying out loud DO NOT use any choke at all....

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Duck View Post
    steel shot is NOT a steel ball bearing.... but all the same for crying out loud DO NOT use any choke at all....
    Then where is he going to find 00 size steelshot? That's .330". I've never seen it, or even heard of it. I can't imagine why it would exist. Enough guns were wrecked with F size steel shot due to bridging that there has been warnings not to use it in 12 gauges or smaller for decades. And now the guy is going to shoot 00 buck size, which won't even stack inside a wad, and shoot it? Nobody would ever think that is a good idea.

Banner Sponsor

BPI has slugs ready to go.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast