MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LEAD FREE SHOT, for pigs??

LEAD FREE SHOT, for pigs??

I need help with something. I need to make some lead free buck shot loads for feral pigs. I assume they aren't monsters yet. 120 looks like the biggest documented.

Would it be better to use steel shot, or the zinc wheel weight material I've been saving?

Also, what size is ideal for going through hog fat/shield?

I have a few weeks before I need to put them to use. So I can either buy store bought stuff or make my own.

Thank you all!!
    Lake Havasu City... Born and raised

Are you heading West to hunt pigs- or does Arizona have lead free regs? As sorry as steel shot is versus lead shot on waterfowl- I'd put max range for steel buckshot at 20 yards maybe? Perhaps cast some buckshot from lead free solder?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

I'm going to hunt a place that requires non toxic shot.

In Arizona

Boolit Grand Master

There's no way in any universe I would ever shoot a pig with steel shot. T is the largest you can safely shoot in a 12 gauge, and that isn't even that great on a canada goose. I would have to be starving before I ever try zinc. I really wouldn't be happy about it, but bismuth tin alloy is the very lightest alternative I would ever consider. I certainly wouldn't mess with small sizes.

Are you absolutely sure you are required to use non toxic shot? Even things like Federally owned waterfowl production areas have exceptions for varmints like coyote where you can still use lead.

Boolit Master
    find some goose loads...some #BB steel and get in close.....as in under 20 yards.... because you are going steel...go fast...and if a semiauto gun..as fast as you can get....
    watching videos of guys shooting hogs from helicoptors it is surprising that this type of load isnt being used on the smaller stuff....would save a LOT of rounds. Ive shot wallabies up to 30kgs/70lb with lead #3s lead #2s and lead #BBs having used a lot of steel shot in last 10 years I would happily use steel in #BB or #2 for the same job...I have shot rabbits out to 40yards with steel #4s no trouble at all,and they werent particularly good loads either.
    if you cant drop a canada goose at 40 yards with steel #2s its not the load at fault.....either your pattern sucks or you poked holes in the sky.
    animals on the ground gives a 2d TARGET Vs a 3d bird in sky...if centred in pattern it gets the full impact of front and tail of the shot string... not that steel is much of a string as its pretty close together .

once you get above #BBs you start to get a thinning pattern. we tried #00 and found it hopeless past 15 yards..the #7 buck has 30ish .22 calibre balls...its better but hard to find and again pattern thins quickly.
    there is all copper buckshot around...DOC use it over here.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    If you have. Some zinc at hand, I would try that.

Boolit Grand Master

Those steel or even bismuth loads with #BB's or T shot are NOT going to be effective on a hog! I've plucked out #4 and even #0 lead buckshot out of the shield of hogs that were hit at 15 yards and didn't penetrate the vitals. I would plan on taking slugs or plan on wounding some hogs.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Yes, visiting a wildlife refuge that's on the Colorado River. The couple near me all require non toxic shot

Boolit Master

If they require lead free ask what their clients have been using that is successful. Steel doesn't sound very good to me.
    Rick

Boolit Grand Master
    I have to agree with the above. Ask what is being used and, if you really have to, go with that. I've shot a wide variety of stuff and nothing is effective as lead. Considering those pigs can bite back, I'd be very leary. Wouldn't expect any good effect unless it were just about a contact shot. Good luck and carry a big knife.

Boolit Master
    If you can use a rifle there is all copper bulets out if you need a shotgun i would use bismouth in 00 buck at very close range i have seen a .38 bounce off a pigs head from inches away

Boolit Master
    If useing a shot gun use a paterne board to see what you have for pattern size and denesety then chose your choke for best size modifyed or imp-cylender ?? To tight will blow pattern fine out where the center of shot pattern is?
    Or if you have a big hole in the center of shot pattern ?? CAST SOME SHOTGUN SLUGS IN ZINK OR BUY COPPER SLUGS ?
    Last edited by BLAHUT; 09-04-2022 at 11:43 PM.

Boolit Master

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...t=0&ajaxserp=0

Good luck finding some it is supposed to be buckshot. Lead free I would use a rifle with copper rounds.

Boolit Buddy
    Ballistics Products has tungsten, bismuth and Hevi-shot in #B size shot.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by baogongmeo View Post
    Ballistics Products has tungsten, bismuth and Hevi-shot in #B size shot.
    Bismuth B is acceptable on canada geese. It wouldn't penetrate into a pig beyond spear range. Hevishot B, maybe you would get 15 effective yards, just guessing.

The only non-lead shot I see commercially available that I would be willing to try on pigs would be TSS BB size. On paper TSS size BB should have penetration about like a lead 2 buck or 1 buck. It is insanely expensive stuff, but it does work.

For comparison, bismuth 00 buck size on paper should be about the same as TSS size BB, or 2 buck/1 buck. The caveat would be you would want to up the tin in the alloy to something like 12% for a larger shot. Buckshot molds are available from Marty's Arms, but for that cost you might as well just buy the TSS.

Zinc is even worse than I realized. No way would I ever shoot that at anything. Even zinc casted as a 00 size, here is what KYP ballistic predicts.

Lead 1 buck at 1200 fps, 7" penetration at 54.4 yards

Zinc 00 buck at 1200 fps, 7" penetration at 1.8 yards. Not 18, 1.8 yards!

Also steel shot, I gave it the best chance I possibly could. T is the largest safe in a 12 gauge.

Steel T shot at 1800 fps (7/8 oz load), 4.78" penetration at 20 yards. I definitely wouldn't shoot this in a gun I cared about, but it might work on coyote to about 30 yards. For pigs you might as well just use a spear.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 08-19-2022 at 01:45 PM.

what about a single 0.690 zinc ball or 000 zinc

Boolit Master

Best bet, mount you a pig sticker on the end of that shotgun.

Boolit Master
    I've shot several hogs with both shotgun & rifle & quickly learned that shotguns leave a lot of them still running for quite some time, with a quick drop now & then. I don't like to be close to an injured hog in brushy areas. Me personally would only use a rifle, even a good .30-30 will put them down right now.

Boolit Master

Ballitic product tx 00 buck non-toxic expensive

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/IT...ctinfo/TX00BK/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast