RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I get frustrated

Boolit Master

I get frustrated

I get frustrated trying to figure out what gun movie characters or using. It seems their hands are always covering the action and the director only allows a second to see it. I was watching the old movie, A GHOST IN THE DARKNESS with Val Kilmer recently and he was loading a bolt action rifle but the shot of him loading was so short I just could not tell what the rifle was. Have you seen the movie?
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Hollywood guns are sometimes highly modified to fire blanks etc. In highly accurate movies a real authentic piece can be in for close-ups. Then when being fired, it could be substituted with the modified rig. Such as a shorter bolt for the blanks etc. They try to keep things generic when it comes to ammo. Example several unrelated arms with several calibers firing one blank that fits all.
    When I'm keen on something I want to see up close. I record everything and can freeze frame when I want a closer look.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master

I remember a discussion some years back that included an ejector rod housing on a double action revolver. The stuff they do in movies!
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

I remember reading that Patterson used a Lee Speed Sporting Rifle.....whatever that is.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I remember reading that Patterson used a Lee Speed Sporting Rifle.....whatever that is.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/magazine/lee-speed
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    as a registered contributor to imfdb I try to be as accurate as possible when I contribute information about any guns I describe used in film, and I never try to provide information on something I'm not 100 percent sure of, but sometimes ive found mistakes that have been made on the site.
    but it is probably the premier web site dedicated to guns and weapons in movies and tv
    http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Main_Page

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    It was never hard to figure out the pistols that the cowboys used to shoot in the westerns that we used to watch as kids as they chased the outlaws on horseback . . . Roy Rogers, Hopalong Cassidy, Cisco Kid, etc. . . . . . they were all armed with those pistols that never had to be reloaded!

Boolit Master

Many of the old western will have guns that are newer than the period the movie is set in.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    It was never hard to figure out the pistols that the cowboys used to shoot in the westerns that we used to watch as kids as they chased the outlaws on horseback . . . Roy Rogers, Hopalong Cassidy, Cisco Kid, etc. . . . . . they were all armed with those pistols that never had to be reloaded!
    Ah, the Remington Reloadless. Not accurate on the model, but the name flows.

Boolit Master
    They could afford the big roll of caps!
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master

These sites that M-Techs links to are excellant for finding out what firearms were used in a movie .
    I saved them on computer and wrote them down on index card ...
    So many movie guns , so many questions ...

THANK YOU M-Tech Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

A Lee Speed in 303 for the first lion. This was a commercial hunting gun made on the SMLE pattern.

Boolit Master
    If I were trying to kill a grown African male lion, I would use something a bit bigger than a .303. In his book, African Rifles and Cartridges, John Taylor said they are very tough to kill, and they can kill you even after being shot.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Think about their camps. Bedrolls, fire irons, skillet, coffee pot. I want some of those saddle bags.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I only watch movies to be entertained, I never expect them to be accurate as to reality.
    On the occasions I have, I was always disappointed.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    If I were trying to kill a grown African male lion, I would use something a bit bigger than a .303
    especially a known man eater.

but hey, it's a movie.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    especially a known man eater.

but hey, it's a movie.
    The movie is loosely based on actual events and the 303 is correct.

https://theultimatepredator-com.cdn....rom%20%251%24s

Although arguably a pair of history’s most fearsome predators, the Tsavo Man-Eaters were not the evil spirits many thought they were and they eventually met their fate at Patterson’s hand. But they didn’t go quietly or with ease. The first of the two man-eaters he killed by firing both barrels of his 12-gauge smooth-bore—loaded with slugs—into the lion’s shoulder. The second, though, took a great deal more to finish. “I accordingly waited until he got quite close—about 20 yards away—and then fired my .303 at his chest. I heard the bullet strike him, but unfortunately it had no knockdown effect, for with a fierce growl he turned and made off with great long bounds. Before he disappeared from sight, however, I managed to have three more shots at him from the magazine rifle, and another growl told me that the last of these had also taken effect.”

Pursuing, Patterson came face-to-face with the wounded cat. “I at once took careful aim and fired. Instantly he sprang out and made a most determined charge down on us. I fired again and knocked him over; but in a second he was up once more and coming for me as fast as he could in his crippled condition. A third shot had no apparent effect.” Scaling a tree, Patterson grabbed a Martini-Henry carbine from his gun-bearer and fired again, downing the cat. “Rather foolishly, I at once scrambled down from the tree and walked up towards him. To my surprise and no little alarm he jumped up and attempted another charge. This time, however, a Martini bullet in the chest and another in the head finished him for good and all; he dropped in his tracks not five yards away from me, and died gamely, biting savagely at a branch which had fallen to the ground.” When they examined the animal, they found no less than six rounds in it, including a slug Patterson had fired at it 10 days before
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-19-2022 at 08:34 PM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

I was trying to ID a firearm recently seen in a movie and thought of this old thread.
    see Post #8 above.
    thanks farmbif

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast