WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Defense Department Invests to Re-Establish Domestic Production of GOEX Blackpowder

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 26Charlie View Post
    Black powder was also critical in 155mm separate-loading howitzers. A BP charge in the base of the powder bags dispersed the (charge 1 to charge 7) smokeless powder charge selected throughout the chamber and ignited it all uniformly. Big mistake to load the powder in backwards or not against the breechblock where the primer flash couldn’t reach it.
    When I was in the 2d Cav toward the end I wrangled a job as a photographer, so I got to go to a lot of shoots. Whether it be tank gunnery, cobra or arty. Saw many bags of powder burned on the ground at arty shoots. Didn't think much of it then, but it kinda hurts now.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by shell70634 View Post
    uscra112, I was referring to the foreign made black powder components that would be equivalent to those items used by DOD, not sporting use. The burn rate for foreign products was extremely inconsistent. There could have been improvements in the last ten years, but I don't trust Brazilian or South African time fuze that burns at an inconsistent rate. Using US manufactured time fuze I can time a detonation at 10 minutes plus or minus 3 seconds. Can't do that with foreign stuff. Irregular physical properties of the black powder were visible.
    Yup, the DOD doesn't give a rats behind about US sporting usage of BP. They do care greatly about the DOD applications of BP thus the investment. A spin off of this MAY be a readily available source of BP for the US civilian shooters. Very similar to what LC does with civilian sales. Like LC the left is/will try to stop the civilian sales.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Sounds like the DoD buying the cheapest thing on the market, as usual.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master
    I spent Saturday at a cannon shoot held by the North-South Skirmish Association near Winchester, VA and had occasion to speak with the biggest seller of BP and related supplies to that sport as well as all the other BP used in all N-sSSA events. He’s in about weekly contact with with the GOEX/Estes folks and confirmed that the Gov’t is indeed $upporting the rebuilding of the BP plant. He expressed confidence that we will soon have abundant BP for our muskets, cannons, and cap-and-ball revolvers.

Good news for those of us who dress up in blue or grey or even those of us who prefer to dress in buckskins for our shooting!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I sure wish I had the chance to go to canon shoots!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I sure wish I had the chance to go to canon shoots!
    I would imagine there must have been some beauties around your location.

Boolit Grand Master
    The mention of the cannon shoot was to set the stage for my powder comment, but to expand on it, the North-South Skirmish Association has artillery in many of its events. If you like cannons (and mortars) it’s worth your while to check it out. There are some original and several types of reproduction cannons in use. My team shot a reproduction “mountain rifle” which fires a 2” bullet from a rifled tube. Our bullet looks like a Minie ball on steroids. It’s deadly accurate at 200 yds. We also have a mortar and a Parrott cannon for other events. In N-SSA we shoot everything from C&B revolvers and single shot duelers through carbines, single shot and repeating rifles, smooth bore and rifled muskets, up to the aforementioned artillery. All of these are original or reproductions of actual Civil War weapons, and only black powder is allowed. News about GOEX is of great interest to us, as you would guess!

Froggie

Wow, Hodgdon is really cleaning up $$$!!! First they crank up prices on all their powder and they also get a hand out from Uncle Sam!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie1971 View Post
    Wow, Hodgdon is really cleaning up $$$!!! First they crank up prices on all their powder and they also get a hand out from Uncle Sam!
    Hodgdon isn’t getting this particular handout. They shut down and sold off their BP division (GOEX, etc). The Estes company (best known for model rockets) bought the BP factory, etc and is resuming where Hodgdon left off. They are the ones getting funds and encouragement from Uncle, since his big guns still use a bunch of BP. While Hodgdon may be making an increased profit on their smokeless powder sales, they aren’t getting any additional money out of their old BP division.

Froggie

Boolit Master
    How would they do a false flag event with a bunch of pipe bombs or pressure cookers full of black powder if they can't find any?

Boolit Master
    Some years ago the US army had an incident with blackpowder,and they held an investigation into Goex.......wasnt a pretty report .......one amusing incident was that Goex had an explosion in an office caused by blackpowder dust getting under a cracked and torn linoleum floor covering.....no one was hurt .

Several months back I came across an article that claimed DoD had contracted with several ammo manufacturers for additional sources. Part of the contract stipulated that any "over-run" on their dime, could not be sold commercially. Apparently they imposed the same conditions on the government owned, contractor operated Lake City Arsenal that used to provide government over run to the civilian market. Didn't follow up on the end result, butt considering the current state of "things", thought I'd mention it.

Boolit Grand Master
    I saw a similar article, but with the tradition of surplus sales going back at least as far as the American Civil War, I don’t believe that could be totally enforced. OTOH, it seems like some agencies are being directed to buy up (and hoard) large quantities of what we consider military and paramilitary ammo, ostensibly to keep it off the civilian market. I don’t know how that will affect BP sales, but with the stroke of his pen, the president could add some restrictions to possession of “large amounts” of BP in the name of “national security.” I guess we’ll just have to wait and see, and this November’s election may have far reaching effects on all of our shooting sports.

Froggie

I think I saw a second report that the "no civilian sales" policy proposal was rescinded. Doesn't affect me either way, since I no longer shoot military calibers.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    That opinion is pretty much unique, as everyone else who shoots black powder in cartridges says GOEX was only for re-enactors. Swiss still stands #1 with most of those guys. Old Eynsford was getting cautiously positive press before the plant shut down. I never tried any. Still have some GOEX left from when I first started shooting muzzle-loaders, back in the '90s. I could fall back on it if my stocks of Swiss were ever to run out, I suppose.
    Swiss is a special case. They produce a really good product. There are a number of blackpowders we don't see in the USA, and I have never heard one good thing about them other than some are cheap. Swiss and Goex are the top dogs for quality. I've never heard anyone say Goex Olde Eynsford was inferior to Swiss. They are two variations of top quality blackpowder.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12