Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Titegroup in a Lyman 55

Titegroup in a Lyman 55

I’ve always left powder in my throwers…. I recently “upgraded” to a new manufactured Lyman 55. Left Titegroup in the hopper about a month and it “shrunk” and no longer seals to the body.

Is this an issue with the powder, or the hopper? It’s never been an issue with other powders, but in all fairness, I just started using Titegroup at about the same time as I got this measure.

FWIW, it hasn’t affected my Dillon 650 hopper
    Sic Semper Tyrranis

Quote Originally Posted by tek4260 View Post
    I’ve always left powder in my throwers…. I recently “upgraded” to a new manufactured Lyman 55. Left Titegroup in the hopper about a month and it “shrunk” and no longer seals to the body.

Is this an issue with the powder, or the hopper? It’s never been an issue with other powders, but in all fairness, I just started using Titegroup at about the same time as I got this measure.

FWIW, it hasn’t affected my Dillon 650 hopper
    I haven't had it shrink any hoppers but I've never let it sit in one that long. It does pretty quickly etch the plastic hoppers. I never leave TiteGroup in the hoppers after use anymore. I think it's the high nitro content that causes problems. Gp

Well that stinks. I was planning to use it exclusively in 9mm so it would always be in the hopper of my 650 that is exclusively used for my competition loads.
    Sic Semper Tyrranis

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I never leave any powder in any measure after I am through loading . Anything in the hopper when the last round is charged goes back in the same bottle or jug that it came out of. Leaving powder in a measure is a bad habit.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    I have left powder in the hopper over the years. Sometimes with no effect and sometimes with catastrophic effect. Ruined the hopper on my Redding and on a Bair. The Bair melted and the Redding turned black and shrunk. Never had an issue with RCBS or Lyman 55. I think it depends on the powder and the type of plastic used in the hopper. I figure that it isn't worth the trouble it takes to replace/repair the measures so I don't do it anymore

Boolit Master

My memory is not good enough to leave powder in a measure. I only have one powder on the bench at a time and put the leftover powder back in the can after use.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master

Seems like my 1967 Lyman 55 came with the instructions warning not to leave powder in the hopper ...
    the chemicals in double base powder reacts with and destroys the plastic . Another reloading manual also said not to leave powder in hoppers ... when done dropping powders return the powder in the hopper back into it's original container ... it is also a safety thing .

Looks like if you do leave double based powders in a plastic hopper it will do bad things ...
    Nice to know the warnings were not just hot air from people making up unnecessary warnings !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Mold
    I have observed the deterioration of Lyman and RCBS hoppers with either single based or double based powders, however, they had been exposed to direct sunlight. Fortunately, Lyman sold me hoppers directly that fit older models of the 55.

Boolit Buddy
    The solution to your problem is just a click away....

https://dramworx.com/

I don't own one but I will get one if I ever drop one of my Uniflows and break the hopper.

Boolit Master
    I have never left any powder in my measures. Even just the limited time spent loading the color of the hopper changes fairly quickly.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dar View Post
    The solution to your problem is just a click away....

https://dramworx.com/

I don't own one but I will get one if I ever drop one of my Uniflows and break the hopper.
    No thank you, not for that kind of money! If I break the hoppers on one of my uniflow’s, I’ll just do like I did the last time, call RCBS and have them send me a new one.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!