MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: copper fouling and PC'd bullets

Boolit Master

copper fouling and PC'd bullets

It has been my understanding that trace cooper fouling in the barrel tends to act like a lead magnet and will lead foul more easily than a perfectly clean barrel. Consequently I try to segregate my weapons as being; for cast only or for jacketed. If I run both, I deep clean to remove any hint of copper before running cast.

I'm working with a fella trying to get him set up reloading cast bullets in his Henry 45/70 lever. He has been running factory jacketed through it and I got to thinking about the copper fouling thing and lead fouling.

So I have a couple thoughts/questions:
    1. Will/does copper fouling increase the likelihood of lead fouling?
    2. Since I often hear PC folks saying a PC'd bullet is basically a bullet jacketed in polymer paint. If we are only running PC'd cast bullets, is the trace copper fouling even a concern?
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

I've heard many times copper fouling will cause some kind of problem with lead bullets. In all my time, I have seen precisely 0 issues with shooting lead after jacketed. I've shot jacketed, and cast alternating on the same day with zero issues. No fouling, no accuracy issues, nothing. I would expect no different from coated bullets.

Boolit Master

I have not had any problems either.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

I switch from PC to jacketed all the time, in both handguns and rifles. I have different loads and bullet weights for different uses. I have had zero issues with leading. I definitely like PC. It is so much cleaner when handling bullets or loaded ammo.

Boolit Grand Master

I haven't experienced any problems either. But I normally don't shoot jacketed then cast in the same session. I think the copper/lead fouling is more theory than real life problem...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Bub
    My Ruger american ranch x39 gets a fair bit of copper fouling from the cheap russian copper washed ammo i ran it through. After switching to PC casts, I've noticed the PC/GC actually scrubbing out the copper fouling, and no accuracy issues. I never really noticed any performance/fouling issues running FMJs and casts together.

Boolit Master
    LOL, I have the same experience. .308win. The Savage barrel is a copper mine when shooting jacketed. Takes quite a bit to clean it. Then one day I decided to shoot cast (PC with GC) after the jacketed. Good accuracy (as good as shooting from a clean barrel). When I went to clean I found almost no copper in the bore. Those GC's must be a bit tougher than the bullet jacket copper.

So, now whenever I take jacketed ammo to the range I make sure to take at least 5 rounds of cast to finish the day.

I have had the same experience, shooting a bunch of PC'd gas checked bullets seemed to really clean the barrel to a shine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I've heard many times copper fouling will cause some kind of problem with lead bullets. In all my time, I have seen precisely 0 issues with shooting lead after jacketed. I've shot jacketed, and cast alternating on the same day with zero issues. No fouling, no accuracy issues, nothing. I would expect no different from coated bullets.
    My experience also
    Hick: Iron sights!

I think the lead eventually removes it if it is not really bad. But I have never owned a truly bad barrel that collected a lot of jacket material either.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rickt300 View Post
    I have had the same experience, shooting a bunch of PC'd gas checked bullets seemed to really clean the barrel to a shine.
    Remember that powder coat does NOT leave a layer of lubrication in the barrel.
    Run a lightly oiled patch down the barrel after shooting powder coated bullets.
    That shine is bare metal.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master

If it is a concern, clean the bore out with this stuff. It was recommended to me recently, and I have never used a copper solvent that worked so well. It is absolutely worth the price.

I can say in my experience I have never noted a issue switching between the two, but your mileage may vary.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image.jpg  

Boolit Master

If it is a concern, clean the bore out with this stuff. It was recommended to me recently, and I have never used a copper solvent that worked so well. It is absolutely worth the price.