RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 625 misfires/45 auto rim

Boolit Master

625 misfires/45 auto rim

Been having problems with misfires in my 2 625s with 45 auto rim R-P brass. Primers seated correctly CCI large pistol,was getting 2 - 3 ftf out of 6 rounds.
    I was having this problem with one pistol so I brought my other 625 same thing. After some poking around found out that the primer pockets could be shallow. So I deprived some of cases measured pocket depth .117-.118".
    So bought a primer pocket uniformed and corrected the problem.
    I've some ammo loaded in Starline brass that I'll try later.

Boolit Grand Master
    ????

Most of the misfires I have heard about in S&W Model 25/625 revolvers has supposedly been traced to the springiness of the half or full moon clips for using .45 ACP ammo. In theory, .45 AR brass doesn't have this problem, but obviously yours do.

I would think deepening the primer pockets would make the situation worse, not better.

I would check your strain screw for tightness, for some reason people like to loosen them instead of doing a real trigger job. I would also check headspace of all chambers on both guns.

For the record, the Model 25-2 that I had 30 thirty years ago never had a misfire with anything--clipped or not, factory hardball or reloads; all ACP, AR wasn't all that easy to find then.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    ????

Most of the misfires I have heard about in S&W Model 25/625 revolvers has supposedly been traced to the springiness of the half or full moon clips for using .45 ACP ammo. In theory, .45 AR brass doesn't have this problem, but obviously yours do.

I would think deepening the primer pockets would make the situation worse, not better.

I would check your strain screw for tightness, for some reason people like to loosen them instead of doing a real trigger job. I would also check headspace of all chambers on both guns.

For the record, the Model 25-2 that I had 30 thirty years ago never had a misfire with anything--clipped or not, factory hardball or reloads; all ACP, AR wasn't all that easy to find then.

Robert
    One of the first thing I checked was the strain screw and it was tight.
    Didn't have the same problem with 45 auto in full moon clips in either revolver.

Like MK42, I had a very nice 25 back in the 80s that handled clipped, un clipped and auto rim with 100 percent reliability. Only problem is the revolver would not hit a barn door at a hundred yards. Beautiful gun went down the road. If I had known then what I know now. Doug Guy and Accurate Molds would have fixed the problem.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Buddy
    Here is mine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7408.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	303294
    It did have a professional trigger job and was set up for federal primers. It was never quite 100% with either AR brass or moon clips, but it was good. This lasted for 20 years or so until recently when it started being about 80% reliable even with Federal primers. A local gunsmith looked it over and replaced the mainspring. That didn’t fix it. He finally concluded that the bobbed hammer was the most likely cause. He had an old target style hammer in his miscellaneous box so he put it on. Fired 80 AR rounds yesterday and all but one went bang. We will see how it goes. However I will also note that I never have cleaned the primer pockets. I will do that when I next reload for it.

Boolit Master

625 misfires/45 auto rim

If they’re PC guns, the lighter mainspring requires soft primers, in my experience.

Also check you’re strain screws.

Also an Apex extended firing pin might give a little more oomph.
    Last edited by Jtarm; 08-17-2022 at 11:50 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tejano View Post
    Here is mine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7408.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	303294
    It did have a professional trigger job and was set up for federal primers. It was never quite 100% with either AR brass or moon clips, but it was good. This lasted for 20 years or so until recently when it started being about 80% reliable even with Federal primers. A local gunsmith looked it over and replaced the mainspring. That didn’t fix it. He finally concluded that the bobbed hammer was the most likely cause. He had an old target style hammer in his miscellaneous box so he put it on. Fired 80 AR rounds yesterday and all but one went bang. We will see how it goes. However I will also note that I never have cleaned the primer pockets. I will do that when I next reload for it.
    That makes no sense. A bobbed hammer should set primers off better, not worse. Skeletonized hammers are the best of the best for lock time and reliability. If that gun has the separate firing pin, make sure that is clean.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Deprimed
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Quote Originally Posted by DocSavage View Post
    ..... After some poking around found out that the primer pockets could be shallow. So I deprived some of cases measured pocket depth .117-.118".
    So bought a primer pocket uniformed and corrected the problem.....
    So you fixed the problem by uniforming the pockets?

I wonder if the discrepancies in the pockets were causing an issue with the anvil not being supported? Did the tool perhaps take out a small shelf or fat radius at the bottom of the pocket?

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Boolit Master
    The depth of the pockets are now .122" and any built up residue has been removed as well. There was a fair amount of shavings from the uniforming as well. Not going to reload all 100 just 20 random cases if the problem still persists off to a gunsmith for repairs.

Boolit Master

Let us know how those worked.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    That makes no sense. A bobbed hammer should set primers off better, not worse. Skeletonized hammers are the best of the best for lock time and reliability. If that gun has the separate firing pin, make sure that is clean.
    ^^^^^^^^^^

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    Let us know how those worked.
    Going to the range on Friday. The failure to fire is happening with 2 different 625s that's why I think it's the R-P brass. Don't recall having this problem with 45 acp in moon clips or Starline auto rim brass.

Feeler gages and caliper.

You could measure the gap between the brass and the frame with feeler gages. Measure both moon clipped 45acp and the autorim.

The rim thickness on the autorim should be the same as the sum of the acp rim plus the moon clip thickness.

If the autorim-rims are too thin, your firing pin won't reach correctly.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    You are absolutely correct about improved lock time, but it's been my understanding that some guns in addition to mainspring force, require a certain mass of hammer/striker to set off the primer. For example, titanium firing pins in an AR sometimes don't set off 5.56x45 primers.

All that said, I have two M25-2s, two M1917s, and a M625-3, all unmodified, and all digest ammo loaded in R-P Auto Rim brass.

Noah

Boolit Master
    slughammer suggestion - use a feeler gauge to check headspace with the R-P brass. Very long ago (before internet) I too had S&W 25 that was not accurate, probably chamber throats. I did have several misfires with factory loaded Remington 45 Auto Rim with that revolver, moon clipped 45 ACP, including US military issue always worked . I also have 32 special R-P brass with very thin rims, absolute SAAMI min, compared to other brass. I just received back order of Starline 45 AR but have not tried it in my two S&W Brazilian .45's, only used moon/half/third clips so far, without problem. There are many ways to get smooth, light triggers on S&W's without putzing with the mainspring.

Boolit Master
    Ok,just got back from the range with my 625. Firt off took the cylinder off cleaned under the ejector star just in case debris under it might be part of the problem. Cases primed with RCBS hand priming tool CCI primers seated slightly below primer pocket. 5 grs Red Dot 200 gr swc. Mixture of double and single action firing 1 failure to fire out of 20 rds. So my guess of poorly cut primer pockets was correct. These were R-P cases will try the rounds loaded in Starline brass later this week. Will update afterwards.

Boolit Master
    I have had two of the Smith 45 ACP revolvers. I primarily used 45 Auto Rim brass.
    No problems.

Smith & Wesson revolvers that misfire

Eliminate/Reduce cylinder end play. Shims are made for this. Midwayusa has a Youtube video.

Brass rim thickness should be measured & compared to SAAMI standards. 45 Auto Rim.

A test for a Smith and Wesson revolver, model 28, 357mag., may work on other guns also<> Gun empty.
    Dryfire gun and hold trigger fully to rear.
    Cock hammer with thumb.
    Hook a weight around the hammer (for example 3 1/2 LB minimum weight for 357).
    The hammer must not move rearward when the gun is lifted.
    The hammer should lift 3 1/2 lbs without going into the cocked position.

Primers can be flush with the case head to .008" below.

Measure hammer nose/firing pin protrusion.

Is hammer rubbing frame? This slows the hammer. There are shims for this also.

Last, check headspace.

Better yet, see a pistol smith.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast