Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White glue for roll crimps?

Boolit Master

White glue for roll crimps?

I just started playing with roll crimps now that my tool arrived... Have a question.

I have seen some posts that say you can put a bead of white glue at the roll crimp where it is touching the overshot card..

This good practice?

Boolit Grand Master

You might be reading about alternatives to roll crimping. Especially loading full brass shells, a lot of guys glue their overshot card rather than crimp it in.

If you are trying to waterproof ammo I'm a believer in it mostly being feel good. Even fold crimps are next to impossible to truly seal meaningfully. Many think they do, but cut the crimp off, and you will find a lot of them still show light through.

Boolit Master

Thanks.

Boolit Mold
    I’m a fan of roll crimping if for no other reason I like how it looks. I have soaked myself duck hunting and am equally effective at getting my shells wet on the inside with or without a sealant, fold crimp or rolled. Now I carry my shells in a zip lock type bag and call it good.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Malheur View Post
    I’m a fan of roll crimping if for no other reason I like how it looks. I have soaked myself duck hunting and am equally effective at getting my shells wet on the inside with or without a sealant, fold crimp or rolled. Now I carry my shells in a zip lock type bag and call it good.
    That's a good method. What I started doing is carrying some on an ammo belt, a real ammo belt with military flap pouches that mostly keep the shells dry in rain. They won't do much for a long bath if you fall though. I don't keep too many in the belt though, and the rest are in an air tight ammo can. A zip lock would be just as good. It's not as entertaining as the guys who show up with a neoprene shell belt though. How those things still exist is beyond me. You may as well just show up and dump your ammo straight into the slough and get it over with.

Overshot cards punched out of milk jug plastic + a good roll crimp and you should not have to worry much about water.

If you were really concerned a little melted paraffin wax would seal them very well. Without the worry of glue residue and your barrel.

And most white glues and Elmers wood glue soften in water.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    I think that gluing the roll crimp, would tear the case mouth when it is fired. jmho.

When I built .45 acp shot shells out of cut down 308 brass I used enamel nail polish to seal the overshot wad. Never had one ‘unload’ in my magazine.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    I think that gluing the roll crimp, would tear the case mouth when it is fired. jmho.
    I personally don't think the white glue will stick much to the poly cases.. paper.. yeah.. but I don't use those.

One of the white glues I have is supposed to be an alcohol cure and should be water "resistant".

I was thinking more in the terms of having a consistent pressure by a good solid crimp.

It sounds like it won't be an issue however.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    It does not.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    When I built .45 acp shot shells out of cut down 308 brass I used enamel nail polish to seal the overshot wad. Never had one ‘unload’ in my magazine.
    I use the wife's nail polish too, with different colors to denote the shot size!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Mold
    Polyurethane varnish/nail polish applied to top card and case mouth inner wall helps with moisture control but is not truly waterproof. A plastic overshot card plus varnish would pretty much form a waterproof seal but you may have to shoot a few patterns to assess any adverse affect on pattern quality.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    I just started playing with roll crimps now that my tool arrived... Have a question.

I have seen some posts that say you can put a bead of white glue at the roll crimp where it is touching the overshot card..

This good practice?
    I have done this to "water-proof" shells ... while duck hunting in Louisiana everything gets wet .
    A little white Elmers Glue helps seal the crimp and water-proof the overshot card ... you don't glue the roll crimp shut ...it stays shut on it's own . The thin film of glue does no harm .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

I remember, back in the day, the only shotshells I had were paper hulls and they had a "waxy" seal over the crimp.

Boolit Buddy
    Lets see glue sticks to everything, varnish does the same.
    Wax will seal the mouth of the case and vaporize when the shell is fired.
    The wax vapors will coat the chamber and bore acting as a rust preventive.
    Wax seems like a win-win solution to me.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jaguarxk120 View Post
    Lets see glue sticks to everything, varnish does the same.
    Wax will seal the mouth of the case and vaporize when the shell is fired.
    The wax vapors will coat the chamber and bore acting as a rust preventive.
    Wax seems like a win-win solution to me.
    I've tried Parafin and beeswax. Neither vaporizes. They leave chunks in the chamber. Not the end of the world. Various silicones, such as one product sold as "shell shield" don't get in the chamber, but instead stick to the crimp even after firing. Not that big of a deal. Then there is the stuff like nail polish and some products like "seal all". They don't seem to leave residue anywhere, but they also don't seem to seal water much at all. I've never tried anything what I'd consider a glue. I've tried a LOT of things to seal a crimp. I've never had any problem from a sealed shell. They all fire, any residue is inconsequential, they don't cause any real issues with reloading, and they don't hurt the shell at all.

None of them are waterproof consistently. Shell crimps just have too many nooks and crannies to seal every time. Even factory winchester rounds that melt the crimp. Cut a few of those in half sometime. You will find more often than not they have light showing through. Winchester melted crimps are definitely not sealed from water every time. I never tried much with a roll crimp, but that would be easier to seal than a star crimp. I ended up doing my own testing with ammo. I eventually got to the point I couldn't find a reason to seal ammo. Completely unsealed ammo can be left in a bowl of water for a long time and still fire. I've had unsealed shells sitting underwater rolling around the bottom of a boat for hours on a morning hunt, and I have yet to have one fail to fire. I no longer seal shells at all, at least not for the purposes of keeping water out. A sealer can be a slick solution for buffered loads. An overshot card will normally seal them, but if you don't want to use one, or cant fit it, then a drip of nail polish seals the center of a crimp enough that buffer doesn't seem to leak out.

Boolit Buddy
    Whatever is left behind in blown out with the next shot.
    Wax left behind will dissolve with any bore cleaner like Eds Red.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jaguarxk120 View Post
    Whatever is left behind in blown out with the next shot.
    Wax left behind will dissolve with any bore cleaner like Eds Red.
    Yes, and even if it didn't, the brush pushes it out. I've never found any issue with crimp sealers causing any issue. Wax left a few chunks in the chamber, but it never caused any issues.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I use clear nail polish over my shot card after I roll crimp it.

I tried hot glue to hold my shot card in before I bought my roll crimper. It worked just fine but the left over residual made a mess on the hulls and my roll crimper once it showed up and I re used the hulls.

The clear polish ends up smearing my writing. I have to learn to roll crimp them and seal with polish…. and then mark them.lol. I only load a handful of turkey loads at a time so no big deal. Wish I had a few pounds of #7,#8, or #9 of heavy type shot to try in my modern 10 gauge turkey loads.

Boolit Master
    [ BALTIMOREED When I built .45 acp shot shells out of cut down 308 brass I used enamel nail polish to seal the overshot wad. Never had one ‘unload’ in my magazine. ] HOW DID YOU GO ABOUT DOING THIS ??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast