Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Summary - FBI Loads as chronographed

Summary - FBI Loads as chronographed

Over the last few weeks I’ve chronographed Rem/Win/Fed 38 Special +P 158 gr LHP “FBI Loads.”

In summary:

Remington:
    Hi 951
    Lo 898
    Avg 925
    ES 53
    SD 18

Federal:
    Hi 901
    Lo 862
    Avg 880
    ES 39
    SD 10

Winchester:
    Hi 929
    Lo 826
    Avg 891
    ES 103
    SD 25

I was expecting higher velocities in my firearm. My previous handloads, which I thought were FBI Load duplicates, exceeded the factory FBI Load velocities usually by 50 fps (or 5%). Maybe this is ball park, but the factory loadings above can easily be duplicated with a 158 gr cast SWC with 5.0 - 5.2 grs Unique, 4.5 - 4.7 grs W231 or 5.4 - 5.6 grs of Power Pistol, at least in my revolver.

I also recognize the variables as the longer 357 Cylinder, gap tolerances, environmental conditions etc but I’m just equipped with my trusty Ruger Blackhawk, a 1950s sturdy folding table, metal chair, a $150 chronograph, ammo and beautiful and sunny Nevadan days…

Peace to all,

Eric

Boolit Buddy
    Just a note - the FBI loads that we were issued were a very soft lead boolit with a large hollowpoint cavity. Supposedly they would expand more reliably. Still, most officers who carried a .357 wheelgun would have some jacketed .357 hollowpoint loads somewhere in their duty briefcase even though it was against department regulations at the time.

Boolit Master
    When I worked for Dallas PD back in the 1970s/80s that was the issue load. The maker varied depending on who had the contract.

Our "issue" guns were Model 15s and 64s. Average velocity from those I saw chronographed was between 875 and 950 fps.

I was with Alan Jones, who at the time was one of ballistics experts for the area and later editor of the Speer Reloading Manual, one time when he was testing a new batch of ammo and it averaged 950 fps...that was the highest average I had ever seen. Most of the batches didn't barely make 900 fps.

"On the street" it wasn't very well thought of...

Bob

ps...I just reread the original post and saw the gun used was a Ruger Blackhawk...try it with a 2" and 4" S&W and see what you get...

Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    When I worked for Dallas PD back in the 1970s/80s that was the issue load. The maker varied depending on who had the contract.

Our "issue" guns were Model 15s and 64s. Average velocity from those I saw chronographed was between 875 and 950 fps.

I was with Alan Jones, who at the time was one of ballistics experts for the area and later editor of the Speer Reloading Manual, one time when he was testing a new batch of ammo and it averaged 950 fps...that was the highest average I had ever seen. Most of the batches didn't barely make 900 fps.

"On the street" it wasn't very well thought of...

Bob

ps...I just reread the original post and saw the gun used was a Ruger Blackhawk...try it with a 2" and 4" S&W and see what you get...
    Bob, great historical perspective on the FBI load, and thanks for sharing. Shorter barrels as 1 7/8 S&W will probably net 800 fps +/- with the Remington load

I suspect the carry load and qualification load were different for the 38s. I talked to Bill Rogers about a bunch of subjects when his Rogers Holsters and remanufacturing ammo operation was over in Jacksonville. I do not recall getting into the differences. But the FBI definitely carried 38 spls for a long time.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

From your statistics, seems to me that Remington is the way to go for factory ammo in this load. That surprises me a little, as Winchester has produced so much military and law enforcement ammo. Good information, thanks for posting it.

DG

Sie sind sehr willkommen, mein Vergnügen

Muchas gracias por las palabras buenos, amigo mio.

DG

Boolit Master

Good data, THANX........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Muchas gracias por las palabras buenos, amigo mio.

DG
    No hay de que…me difiendo en espanol tambien! He ententido (He vivido en espana por casi dos anos).

Boolit Master
    The Buffalo Bore Standard Pressure .38 Special 158 LSWC-GC runs just over 1000 fps from a 4" and about 950 from a 2". Their +P load is running in the 1150 area from a 4"...

When my life depends on it...BB gets my money. The +P is in my 649-2 when I carry it.