Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heavy bullet in 9mm?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by leadhead View Post
    joebaja.... Do you think 231 or Red Dot would work with this bullet?
    leadhead
    I haven't used Red Dot, or 231 with this particular bullet, but I have had decent results with 231 with other heavies.

Boolit Master

Yes, I used 231 with 147gr cast before... no reason it won't work with the 150gr.
    leadhead

Boolit Master
    I used the NOE 358-155 before. Sized .357. Worked well in a 9 Shield and SR9.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
    I used the NOE 358-155 before. Sized .357. Worked well in a 9 Shield and SR9.
    Yes, but what load did you use?
    leadhead

Why are we wanting to run heavy bullets again? I could see a benefit in PCC but idk about pistols

I have run 165gr bullets in 9mm for minor loads. The are only going about 800fps so very quiet report & enough mass to cycle most pistols, stupid soft recoil. The 150 Lee will work too, OAL may be an issue because of the short & round ogive. I used RedDot & WST for my loads. No data obviously, so I went with 147gr starting data.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    Why are we wanting to run heavy bullets again? I could see a benefit in PCC but idk about pistols
    I don't know what advantage a heavy bullet would have in a carbine, other than if they happen to shoot better. They offer a lot more in pistols. Especially in competitions that require a power factor. It is a skewed system strongly favoring heavy bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I don't know what advantage a heavy bullet would have in a carbine, other than if they happen to shoot better. They offer a lot more in pistols. Especially in competitions that require a power factor. It is a skewed system strongly favoring heavy bullets.
    More velocity, acceptable penetration, expansion, energy, and holds bolt closed longer. I'm sure there's more but that's 5 good reasons.

Boolit Grand Master

More velocity, acceptable penetration, expansion, energy, and holds bolt closed longer. I'm sure there's more but that's 5 good reasons.
    None of those things are good attributes for a competition pistol. A heavier bullet allows a lower recoiling load at the same power factor. It's as simple as that.

None of those things are good attributes for a competition pistol. A heavier bullet allows a lower recoiling load at the same power factor. It's as simple as that.
    What?

You said

I don't know what advantage a heavy bullet would have in a carbine, other than if they happen to shoot better.
    so I said

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for letting me know. I don't shoot much for pistol carbines. I was only trying to answer your quesiton too.

Boolit Master

I just wanted a heavier bullet because it's more accurate in my Taurus G2c pistol.
    I shot 147gr and they were more accurate than the 125gr. Simple as that.
    leadhead

Boolit Master
    Nothing wrong with a heavier bullet if it meets you needs or desires.

But, I wanted to add this. The heavier bullet is not needed for massive straight line penetration, at least in the case of a flat-nosed hardcast.

I like the MP 125 grain rf, which casts at 135 in the flatnosed configuration. At 20 bhn, and with a healthy dose of blue dot, it went through I think 12 1-gallon milk jugs and kept going.

Neither here nor there, but I thought I'd add that info.

Boolit Master

How deep did you have to seat the Lee 358-150 gr bullet?
    I think it's going to be pretty deep in the case.
    leadhead

Boolit Master

Well, I cast some bullets up this morning. I guess I'll have to scrap this idea as the bullet is to long.
    I had to seat it down where it took up over half the case. Guess I'll go back to my 125 gr.
    leadhead

Boolit Master
    The Elco Boolit is designed specifically for 9mm cases to run heavy boolits with a narrow nose. They can be had as a 155 grain flat nose or a 147 grain hollow point. NOE has the mold. Lots of folks on here using them. Ive cast over 20000 of them, only boolit I use in 9mm now.

Boolit Master
    I have only loaded the one projectile that I mentioned, I haven't loaded any other heavy-for-caliber projectiles in 9 mm, but I've loaded BUCKETS of those. Bullseye/Red Dot powders & ones with similar burning rates work "okay", but not optimally with them. Velocities are low, even at max. charge weights. Medium burning rate propellants like Unique, Herco, BE-86 & AA#5 give about the best function and velocities. I could not get enough Blue Dot under the bullets (w/o compressing it) to get good function. In one of my 9mm pistols, I broke 1000 f/s with AA#5, at 0.1 gr. under max.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master

I've never gone past the 147 gr size. I can't see 150 being much different.

Boolit Master

I don't have a 147 gr mold. A buddy of mine gave me 100 of his cast 147's to try.
    I'd be happy with a 147 gr mold, but I'm not paying $90 for one. That's why I
    tried the Lee 150 gr. It's not going to work in my gun.
    leadhead

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12