RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation - 45-70 for Marlin 1895 w/ GC & HP

Recommendation - 45-70 for Marlin 1895 w/ GC & HP

I have several Marlin 1895's that I'm looking for a HP GC bullet to use for hunting. All rifles have cut rifling. I'm looking for something in the 330-410 gr range. Anyone know of a HP & GC mold that is designed to feed in an 1895?

Boolit Buddy
    I have an 1895 and hunt with it, is there a particular reason you want a GC and Hp? The velocities I drive them don't exceed 1600 fps and I PC them. I use the Noe 315 wfp, and the Lee 340 rfp, neither are GC, the Lee boolit I have to seat just past the driving band and crimp, both feed well in the Marlin. Took a really nice buck last fall with the Lee boolit. Just my opinion Hp's will damage meat.
    Retired: school of hard knocks
    NRA Lifer

The classic Gould 330, PC'd does not need a gas check to reach 1,800(+)fps, and feeds in anything.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post5001471

Boolit Mold
    I use the RCBS 405 GR with check. Cycles great

Boolit Master
    Finding HP's can be the impediment with the GC boolit molds I was researching some years back. Can't recall seeing any offered straight from the supplier. There are those that will custom hollow point a mold you send them. Another method would be to purchase one of these and hollow point only those you are going to hunt with:

https://www.forsterproducts.com/prod...-pointer-kits/

I settled on the Accurate 46-405 FNGC boolit for the Marlin 1895 CB. Range scrap soft lead, Hornady Gas Checks, WWL 2500+ Lube at 1,700 fps. Yes, there will still be a bit of lead shards after a shooting session, but not lead fouled. Tight oiled patches push them out easily enough and the accuracy is excellent. I've not felt the need to HP these wide flat points with deer but would use the bench drill press and an 1/8" bit if called for. I've done that in the past with pure lead muzzleloader slugs, just to eek out a bit more expansion, though those left the barrel at 1,180 fps.
    Hope you find what you are looking for.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lifeshort View Post
    I use the RCBS 405 GR with check. Cycles great
    This boolit shoots great out of all three of my 1895's (Ballard and Microgroove) and it is death and destruction on hogs, sheep and goats!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I have both HP and gas check molds but not one that is both. I'm wanting to see how much of a flat shooting hunting load i can develop. Where I hunt deer and hogs I have shots well beyond the range of a 45-70 but am looking to take shots to 150 yards. This is about the limit of my jwords load so I'm trying develop a CB load that shoots as close as possible to the same POI. I was wanting to experiment with the HP in how various alloys perform at higher velocities. Also most of my lead is range lead (BHN 8) and WW. I don't have, nor want to buy, pure lead and add lots of tin.

Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    The classic Gould 330, PC'd does not need a gas check to reach 1,800(+)fps, and feeds in anything.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post5001471

I've got that bullet but can only get it up to the 1,700 range before I start getting leading issue with my RL (8 BHN) I'm using plus 2% tin. I'm powder coating BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherO View Post
    Finding HP's can be the impediment with the GC boolit molds I was researching some years back. Can't recall seeing any offered straight from the supplier. There are those that will custom hollow point a mold you send them. Another method would be to purchase one of these and hollow point only those you are going to hunt with:

https://www.forsterproducts.com/prod...-pointer-kits/

I settled on the Accurate 46-405 FNGC boolit for the Marlin 1895 CB. Range scrap soft lead, Hornady Gas Checks, WWL 2500+ Lube at 1,700 fps. Yes, there will still be a bit of lead shards after a shooting session, but not lead fouled. Tight oiled patches push them out easily enough and the accuracy is excellent. I've not felt the need to HP these wide flat points with deer but would use the bench drill press and an 1/8" bit if called for. I've done that in the past with pure lead muzzleloader slugs, just to eek out a bit more expansion, though those left the barrel at 1,180 fps.
    Hope you find what you are looking for.
    I've got the non-GC version in a Lyman mold. I have 3 Forster trimmers. I might look into the hollow pointer. Thanks for reminding me that they make it.

MP makes a Keith style HP at 405 grains. Anyone have experience with it in an 1895?

I'm powder coating BTW
    What powder / what method?

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...avity-1gc-1pb/

Have to wait for them to run more but it's what you want.

SoonerEd, I can't vouch for the HP side of your question but I can recommend the Accurate Molds 46-405A and 46-405D without hesitation. They feed just fine in my Marlin and I ordered a 4 cavity with 2 of each, 2 plain base and 2 GC. Best of both worlds. The GC boolit shoots a bit better my rifle but the PB is no slouch either.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    What powder / what method?
    DT using PBTP in yellow/green or black work well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...avity-1gc-1pb/

Have to wait for them to run more but it's what you want.
    Thanks that is one I was considering The jwords I shoot is a 300 JHP Hornady around 2,250 fps. So, the weight would be similar if I could get it too around 2,000 that would be close enough to just adjust the scope a few clicks.

Boolit Master

I wouldn't bother with a hollow point mold in the .45/70, although I do have 2 molds in that caliber that have hollow points. If you are shooting 300 grain bullets now, I'd get the 300 grain gas check RCBS mold. It's a 2 cavity mold, and while it will probably weigh a little more than 300 grains out of the alloy you are using, I bet you can work up a load that's close to the same POI. I have that mold, and have done just that.
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

Boolit Master
    I've used the RCBS 45-300-FN GC in my Marlin 1895 (1980). I've run it up to 2100 without problems. I've shot a dozen or more elk with 300 gr Barnes Originals at 2200 so 300 rains should work fine for deer and hog. The 300 grain bullets shoot much flatter than the 400+grains and kill elk and moose just fine. Longest shot was on a 5x7 bull at 340 yards, but I was very familiar with country. I do get better trajectory/less drop due hunting (and practicing) above 9000 ft.(no air). If you are target shooting over 300 yards and wind drift is a concern, heavier bullets drift less, but for hunting under 250 yards or so, the 300 grainers remove a lot of guessing about drop. I get 1.25 MOA from the Barnes and about 1.5 MOA from the RCBS 45-300's.

Boolit Master

I would try to track down a clone of the RCBS 405GC that's got an HP cavity, or send an original out for an HP cavity.

The accuracy of the bullet is well documented; the smaller meplat would help some with streamlining (as much as a flying telephone pole can be streamlined), and a deep-ish cavity would get you some weight reduction and maybe speed increase. I can confirm that it DOES feed well in the 1895, though in the 1900fps range it does tend to kill on both ends.

But as for a flat trajectory rifle, you'd probably do well to carry almost ANYTHING else.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...60-350-rf-ae1/

I have the four cavity gas check/hollowpoint version of this mold. Feeds perfectly and quite accurate in the several Marlins we’ve tried them in. I’m running it around 1,900 fps with Varget.

I honestly haven’t used hp version on game, the fp just deflates deer when it hits them. They may take a few steps but you can watch them fall over very quickly. Minimal meat damage, like the old saying “you can eat right up to the hole”.

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    I've used the RCBS 45-300-FN GC in my Marlin 1895 (1980). I've run it up to 2100 without problems. I've shot a dozen or more elk with 300 gr Barnes Originals at 2200 so 300 rains should work fine for deer and hog. The 300 grain bullets shoot much flatter than the 400+grains and kill elk and moose just fine. Longest shot was on a 5x7 bull at 340 yards, but I was very familiar with country. I do get better trajectory/less drop due hunting (and practicing) above 9000 ft.(no air). If you are target shooting over 300 yards and wind drift is a concern, heavier bullets drift less, but for hunting under 250 yards or so, the 300 grainers remove a lot of guessing about drop. I get 1.25 MOA from the Barnes and about 1.5 MOA from the RCBS 45-300's.
    What alloy, lube and powder(s) are you using?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast