Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Powder Sticking to New Funnel

Boolit Master

Powder Sticking to New Funnel

I recently purchased a new 17 Caliber RCBS powder funnel to better load 223 cases with H335 powder. My older RCBS 22 to 45 caliber powder funnel was just not small enough and leaked powder. The trouble I am having with this new funnel is the fine spherical H335 powder sticking to the surface and I can't seem to tap it enough to get it all down in the case. Does anybody have a solution for this sticking powder in a plastic funnel?

Boolit Buddy

Wipe it with a dryer sheet, that dissipates the static charge.

Noah

Boolit Master

What Noah said. Works for powder measures too.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

I use a dryer sheet that's already been through the dryer. It still does the job, but doesn't leave the film on the plastic.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Fred beat me.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

rub the plastic funnel with graphite powder. the one for the locks or from pencil lead
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Master
    As I recall, you can also use a wee bit of dish soap undiluted but wiped on the inner surface and dried?

My main funnel is an aluminum funnel and it edges not harbor static like plastic does. Fits my 22CF necks with fine powders well enough too.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Grand Master

If you stumble across the old Pacific funnels in your travels, they are marvelous pieces of kit. I received both sizes in a large trade years ago and the plastic moved on down the road. They used to be reasonable on the big auction site, but now everyone thinks they can pay the mortgage with one.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

Wipe with used dryer sheet.

Another vote for used dryer sheet.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

I think we had a similar question last week but a dryer sheet or wash in dish detergent.

Boolit Master
    I’d wash it first with dish soap and then thoroughly dry it. After it’s dry spray it with graphite lube in an aerosol can.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    If you stumble across the old Pacific funnels in your travels, they are marvelous pieces of kit. I received both sizes in a large trade years ago and the plastic moved on down the road. They used to be reasonable on the big auction site, but now everyone thinks they can pay the mortgage with one.
    YES! Unfortunately I only bought the small one. It’s my favorite by far. It’s spun aluminum and doesn’t get the static charge.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Buddy
    Dawn dish detergent/ and water wash air dry and use.

Boolit Buddy

Metal dissipates static charge the best. I use inexpensive small metal funnels intended for kitchen use, similar to these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W7BQ6GB...d_plhdr=t&th=1

Amazon and eBay have assortments of different small metal funnels.

I've sometimes modified them by driving into the funnel spout from above a necked cartridge case from which I cut off the base and deburred the cut end. The necked-down section of the brass case serves as both an extension and a spout diameter reducer. I match the OD of the cartridge case to the ID of the funnel spout the best I can, and apply a smidge of epoxy if need be.

Noah

Boolit Grand Master

A quick wipe with a dryer sheet usually takes care of this problem. If not, wash it in a fairly heavy soap/water solution and let it dry without rinsing it.

Boolit Master
    Thank you all for your great suggestions. With a combination of a couple of these I resolved this issue with sticking powder in a plastic funnel! As for the graphite, I still have almost a whole case of it from John Deere out in the shop for lubricating the planter for soy beans or corn. I washed the funnel in Dawn dish soap, let it air dry, and applied the graphite lubricant all over the inside and tapped out the excess. And what a difference it made. The H335 powder slides down into the casing very quickly and completely. Thank you all very much for your suggestions and ultimate solution to this problem.
    Don
    Last edited by DonMountain; 08-18-2022 at 11:35 AM.

Glad it worked out, Don. Sometimes those little things can drive you up the wall. In this case, the fix was an easy one.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez - Don MOUNTAIN - static electricity strikes again!