Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Is .266 to .267 lyman sizing die possible

Is .266 to .267 lyman sizing die possible

I have an extra .266 Lyman H & I sizing die I'd like to turn into a .267 if possible. Has anybody honed one out and if so would you share your method?

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Well,,,, I guess it's not possible or someone on this site would have already done it. I have a 450 lube sizer I was hoping to use this on but I can't seem to find a .267 sizing die for it.

Any suggestions on another sizer? I can powder coat to size but wanted to lube the boolit. Just wanted to get a consistent .267 size for my 6.5x55 Mauser.

Slim

Vendor Sponsor

Forum member and vendor sponsor Lathesmith can custom make you any size you want.

I don't have a mandrel the right size since that's not really a revolver caliber so honing it on the Sunnen hone is not a viable option, you could invest in an ACRO brass adjustable lap and some fine compound that would be a LOT better than a split dowel and abrasive paper but it's still more or less "bubba-ing" your way through.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

slim, PM Buckshot and ask him to [re]post his method for honing a resizing die. (That information used to be on the CASTPICs site, btw.) It is not difficult and going from .266" -> .267" won't take very long.

DougGuy,
    That's beyond my knowledge and capabilities, was kinda looking for an easy way out I guess. I know some have hollowed out mold cavities and was hoping perhaps that might work in my case.

Maven,
    That is what I'm looking for, an easy way for someone limited in tooling and knowledge. Hope he stumbles upon this and posts that thread. I'll reach out to him also.

Thanks,

Slim

slim, This is essentially Buckshot's method:

It can be done in several ways, some are pretty slow others faster but more chance of messing up. these are hardened dies so it takes some work, the lube holes can also cause issues with cutting them. Here are 3 ways

1) polishing, this can be a easy way to do this project.
    a wood or aluminum dowel (5/16" works for the size you want of .366) 6" long. Split on center line 4" up from end. This is the mandrel
    fine wet dry sanding paper in 320-800grits cut and fit a piece 4" wide at a length that makes a snug fit in the die when wrapped around the die.
    Start with the 320 and work slow. a low speed rpm and high feed not coming off the paper. Coming off the paper causes belling on the edges and also may require rewrapping paper every time. Make a few passes back and forth, you want the polish lines to cross over looking like figure 8s in the die. A little oil (clp kroil or other light oil) on the paper keeps it cutting clean.
    work thru the grits as you go. measuring often for size.
    For final finish a piece of flannel and flitz simichrome or toothpaste gives a very fine polish.
    Measuring can be done several ways. A lead bullet can be pushed thru and measured with mikes. this works well and is easy to do. pin gages can be used again quick and easy. small hole gages and mikes here the lube holes may affect the measurement and your working with 2 feels one setting the pin gage and then measuring. Last and least accurate is the inside jaws on calipers.

2) Honing, this requires a actual machine. It is very accurate and controllable. Mount appropriate hone in spindle and adjust dress the hone and hone out checking size often this often leaves a fine enough finish that polishing isn't required.

3) Boring in lathe or mill. this is a tedious set up for the amount being removed and carbide tooling is needed. The lube holes will set up vibration patterns and may also chip tooling due to the interrupted cuts. Requires setting up in a 4 jaw chuck and indicating into dead 0. This method can also leave burrs on the lube holes that are hard to remove. This is the fastest way to do this but is also easiest to go over size with.

4) Lapp. is to coat bullets with lapping compound and push thru die. you can push 1 slug thru 4 times rotating 45* each time. this method requires a few slugs lapping compounds and a small press. It does alighn polish lines down the bore not around it. It takes some time to do and if not square and tru will produce oval holes.

Cast a batch of bullets mark bases with a scribe. impregnate a bullet with compound rolling between 2 flat steel plates. push thru die 4 times rotating 45* each pass thie rotation will help to keep it round and true. Run a couple 3 bullets thru as above measure work thru finer grits until out to size.

Mavin,

Thank you very much, I'm going to try the honing method and see what happens.

Slim

Moderator Emeritus
    A dowel and sandpaper should work fine. It will not take long to go .001” so check often.

Boolit Master

I'd suggest you go to .268" for 6.5x55. I had Lathesmith make me one for the Lyman 4500.

Dutch

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    I'd suggest you go to .268" for 6.5x55. I had Lathesmith make me one for the Lyman 4500.

Dutch
    Thanks,

Slim

Boolit Master
    GONRA suggests a set of EZLAPS to go up one mil. Verks great for me!

I'm thinking some lapping compound on the center stem chucked up to the drill press might do the trick. Still thinking though.

Slim