MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with a good car you can't drive????

Boolit Master

What to do with a good car you can't drive????

What can I do with a 2009 KIA that looks good but rear sub frame is bad. It can be moved around the drive-way but not drove on the road. Most of the scrap places around me want gas tank removed and all fluids out of engine. I am not putting that work into it for the scrap price. How do I get it gone as wife said to get it gone?

Boolit Grand Master
    Put it on Craigslist for parts. Buyer must haul or tow away
    Don Verna

https://legion.careasy.org/home

Donate it .

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

One of my uncles was a rancher and sold hunting leases on his place.
    He used to take old cars, strip the interior out, put in a semi-comfortable chair,
    park them out in a field, and use them for a deer blind.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    One of my uncles was a rancher and sold hunting leases on his place.
    He used to take old cars, strip the interior out, put in a semi-comfortable chair,
    park them out in a field, and use them for a deer blind.
    Out near a Coleman lease, we put old 18 wheeler sleeper cabs on 12ft channel iron stlits. Very comfortable. We put some on the ground and the elevated ones were called "Penthouses"
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by warren5421 View Post
    What can I do with a 2009 KIA that looks good but rear sub frame is bad. It can be moved around the drive-way but not drove on the road. Most of the scrap places around me want gas tank removed and all fluids out of engine. I am not putting that work into it for the scrap price. How do I get it gone as wife said to get it gone?
    Where I live folks come around looking for cars, and you'll often seen signs on the road, like the ones for yard sales, with a number and "I buy cars" on them. That may work for you, or dverna has a good idea, too. In my experience, the car donation places are either a scam, or they don't take undrivable cars. YMMV.

Bill

Boolit Master
    If the local high school has an auto shop, you can donate it to them and you get a tax write-off. Also, a veteran organization might take it.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Scrappers are everywhere that'll give you $250 if you have the title (maybe if you don't). I doubt very much if they care about gas tanks or oil.

Boolit Grand Master

Any "scrap yard" that would ask you to remove the tank and fluids is not really a scrap yard. They probably just want to roll it on a train and collect the check. A real scrap yard is also an auto salvage. They will strip the engine and transmission out of it, they take care of the fluids. Also, if you haven't called an auto salvage place, do that. For a running/driving car, you should get more than scrap price. That is the quick way. If you can wait a few weeks, selling private sale such as craigslist or FB marketplace will get you significantly more money. I wouldn't be surprised if there is someone out there who would buy it for $800. Replacing a sub frame isn't the end of the world. Someone out there is looking for just such an opportunity.

Boolit Master

It's crazy to think just how bad the salt is out in the midwest and northeast during the winter and just how much damage it does to vehicles.

When I moved to Iowa, I could not believe the devastation on vehicles just a couple of years old. When I sold my `66 F-100 out there, I advertised it as rust free. I got a call from a guy that refused to believe that it was rust free. I told him we don't salt the roads in Idaho; we sand and gravel them and use snow tires. (back in the 90's in Iowa, I couldn't find a tire shop that sold snow tires. It was weird.)

The guy showed up and crawled underneath the truck with a flashlight, then scooted back out and said he couldn't believe it. Paid me my asking price.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by prisondoc View Post
    https://legion.careasy.org/home

Donate it .

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
    I donated a car once. 4 months later the city cops wanted me to call them. Seems "my" car had been towed and they wanted me to pay the impound fees. The whole thing was exceptionally annoying. Thank God I kept the paperwork.

Do what you want, but I’ll never donate another car.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    I recently sold a pickup to a salvage yard for approx $400 (as is, with oil, gas, etc). A year and a half ago, they offered me about $75. The prices go up and down. I could have gotten more money if I sold it privately, but there's a Lemon Law here in MA and I didn't want the hassle. I tried to donate a car once but it was over 10 yrs old and no one would take it.

Banned
    Google coparts , you'll get more then scrap and they will pick it up if they have an auction yard in your area

Scrap yards here will accept gas tanks but won't pay for them because people fill them with water and expect to be paid by the pound.
    Cognitive Dissident

I had a car that I wanted to donate once. The name of the charity implied they use the money for veterans. I checked and most money went to a salary and some to an advertising company. The person who got the high salary also owned the advertising company so he got a double salary. I ended up selling the car.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I would certainly drain every last drop of gas out of it - not foe safety sake but if you don't, someone may beat you to it - better in your tank than theirs!

Boolit Master

I don't think you would have a hard time selling it for parts by listing it on Marketplace or Craigslist. Especially since it runs.

Boolit Master

With a friend drive it to a big city. Park it, don't leave the keys. It will be gone in a couple of days.

Moderator Emeritus

If you were near me I would take it and put a sub frame under it that I cut out of a junked car. Or find a jeep frame and make a frankencar for the mud runners here...

Boolit Buddy

We donated our daughters old Toyota celica to a "worthy cause " outfit. two months later the police were here. When the guy robed the liquor store it would not start so he ran away. KEEP THE PAPER WORK! Or drop a few nuts down the air horn to lock the engine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast