RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Powder suggestion for lighter .45-70 trapdoor loads?

Powder suggestion for lighter .45-70 trapdoor loads?

I am looking to shoot the Lee 340 grain rnfp in the 1100-1200fps range. I have several rifle and pistol powders, including IMR 4759 and Accurate 5477 to choose from. I have seen a reference to using Alliant Unique, foggy on the details? Our rifle is a Browning Hi-wall. Mostly plan to shoot with iron sights out to 100 yards. THANKS in advance for your replies, hc18flyer

Boolit Master

12 grains of Unique should work very well for you. It does with a 365 grain gas-checked bullet for me. Very comfortable to shoot. the SR4759 should also be a good powder for you but it will take more powder to get the same velocity. I'm not a big fan of 5744 although many are. I think you will have to push your bullet faster than you want to get good results with the 5744.
    Good Luck to you!
    Rick

A friend's Marlin Cowboy 45-70 and my P14 .450 Marlin both liked the Lee 340 over Unique several years back. I'll see if I took notes.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

'RickinTN'- I did find an earlier thread from Larry G. that said 5744 wasn't a good choice for lighter bullets, at lower velocities. I have Unique to try. Thanks, hc18flyer

Boolit Buddy

I use 12 gr of Umique with the Lee 340gr and Lyman 457124.
    A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...2441-Ron-in-PA

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    'RickinTN'- I did find an earlier thread from Larry G. that said 5744 wasn't a good choice for lighter bullets, at lower velocities. I have Unique to try. Thanks, hc18flyer
    Good Deal!
    I might should have mentioned that 10 grains of Red Dot works pretty well also, and, although I haven't chronographed it, I think will give about the same velocities.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    Good Deal!
    I might should have mentioned that 10 grains of Red Dot works pretty well also, and, although I haven't chronographed it, I think will give about the same velocities.
    Good Luck,
    Rick
    Rick, I don't have any RD, I do have some older(trapshooting days) Green Dot, might be a good way to use it up? I will look at the 'burn rate' charts? Thanks, Tom

Boolit Bub
    In like 11 grains of Trail Boss and a 405 cast plain base bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Happyguy View Post
    In like 11 grains of Trail Boss and a 405 cast plain base bullet.
    I do have a little Trail Boss, will give it a try. Thanks, hc18flyer

having shot thousands of loads using 10 and 11 grains of Unique you will like it!

Boolit Buddy

Another vote for 12 gr of Unique. Have used that load for 35+ years in the 45-70.

Noah

Boolit Buddy
    I use 4759 under a 300 FP in a scoped Buffalo Classic. I'm at work and don't have my load notes but I did use trapdoor section and 1200 fps as my target. That load will cut bullet holes at 100 yds. Also I did use Dacron as per Gibson's instructions. That was the first load I tried and have stuck with it. Just for giggles I tried some 5744, and it did pretty good, around 1-1/2 at 100 but the point of impact compared to the 4759 was 2 inches away. Either one is a doable hunting load. Also tried 4198, and 3031 and didn't like either one of those. Based on using Unique on other cartridges I'm sure it would work, but I haven't used it.
    I will say this on 5744 vs 4759. 5744 I have found it will work in place of 4759 but it requires a little more load development work. I have enough 4759 to last so it's my first choice for hunting rounds (less than 50 rounds per year).
    Tony

Thanks ABJ! I was lucky enough to find an old(full)can of 4759 at a Gun Show a few years ago, and I will likely save that for hunting loads. Last night I cast up a bunch of Lee 340 grainers. Tonight I will size and lube some in the RCBS LamII, as well as 'BLL', to load as cast?