Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What is the most absolute unconfortable handgun you have ever shot? Recoil wise

Boolit Master

TC Contender in 30-30 with a tapered 10 inch barrel and factory loads. Very snappy!

Boolit Grand Master

Thompson Center Contender in 30-30 and a 10" barrel.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    For me it would be the stupid mistake of shooting a J frame airweight (not steel) in full house 357 Magnum.
    +1, Me too

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Sp101 in 357 magnum. Friend had it. We shot some of my full power 357 magnum out of it.
    +1. Full house 158gr 357 in that snub nose let off a nifty fireball and was flat unpleasant to shoot. I'm not shrinking violet but I ended up selling it.

Close second was a Kel Tec 32. Not because of the recoil but because Man Mountain Dean couldn't pull that ridiculous trigger and get a group. Must have been a 20lb trigger when it went off which it was kinda random about. I still have it in the safe because I won't sell a defective firearm.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    Not a pistol, but was a double barreled coach gun that was sawed off at 12". Had 2 3" sabot slugs loaded and I pulled both triggers on a "friends" advice.
    lol, in that regard the single shot Pardner 12g with 3in Turkey loads was not a fun time.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    1. Derringer in .44mag. Hurt so bad I didn't take a second shot.

2. Not recoil but hurt every time. Walther .25auto. Grip was such I could not hold it without getting two 'grooves' in the web of my hand from the slide. Very bloody. Only shot it twice. I thought I had changed my grip enough the second time...NOT

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    TC Contender in 30-30 with a tapered 10 inch barrel and factory loads. Very snappy!
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Thompson Center Contender in 30-30 and a 10" barrel.
    I have the aforementioned Kel-Tec P-40 and a 14” Contender in 44 mag and both have significant bite. I agree that the .30-30 Contender is pretty nasty. Not as bad as a 4” S&W 500, though. I shot a friend’s and planned on shooting two rounds; one each single and double action. Fired the first round double action because I didn’t think I would be able to shoot the second one d.a. and I was probably right. My right hand still tingled the next day.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    It's encouraging to see how many folks don't care for 357 in a little gun. I put a few full power loads through my Model 60 and promptly discarded that idea. I think 158gr at 1000fps is about as high as I would want to go for most things.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

My wood grip 500 magnum 500 grain bullet, full load lil gun. Not good.

350 grain bullets are nice though.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Without a doubt , a big bore Contender with those awful wood grips .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Cast Boolits Owner

So far mine has been a TC Encore with a 10” barrel 454 Casull pushing a 350gr Boolit at 1500 fps.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master

The Polish P64 in 9x18 Makarov. Pounds your hand like a hammer.
    leadhead

Boolit Master

I had a Ruger .44 Magnum which had grips that did not fit me well and made shooting uncomfortable.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    For what it's worth. I bought some "PMC" brand, full house 357 magnum ammo, and shot some of it in my Ruger SP101 snubby. OUCH!!!

That same ammo, fired in a Ruger Vaquero with 5 1/2" barrel was a totally different story. Downright pleasant if I do say so.

My Ruger SP101 is now pretty much a gun safe queen.

Boolit Grand Master
    Dan Wesson .357 2.5" bbl.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

My most unpleasant gun to shoot is a old Colt police positive in 32 S&W long. It snaps back and whacks my knuckle every time! Elegant looking revolver but that small grip is nasty! Tim

Boolit Master
    I’d have to say the worst was a Windicator in .357 with Hornady personal defense ammo. It really bites the web of my hand. Second worst is my wife’s S&W Bodyguard in .38spl +p—-with standard .38spl loads it’s pretty snappy. With +p loads I sent one down range and unloaded the other 4. My wife is petite and cannot tolerate even very light 38spl loads (like 140gr pill on top of 2.2gr bullseye). So I bought 500 38 Short Colt cases from Starline and now load her some 140gr pills on top of 1.2gr Trail Boss, it’s not a .22lr but it’s tolerable enough that she will be able to shoot enough to get accommodated to the trigger pull.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    TC Encore 45/70 fifteen inch tapered barrel no brake TC barrel with 550 grain cast at 1500 chronoed.
    I have more powerful handguns but it is the most obnoxious, rude and overbearing handgun I've shot. But it is a great training tool.
    That's about it. Except it was a Contender shot from Creednoor position with the pistol braced against my right leg. I had been shooting Contenders in .357 MAX and .44 mag. but this was something new. The pistol recoied up well past vertical alsmost hitting my face. And, surprising me, it twisted my shooting hand because of the effect of the heavy boolit and the rifling. never had that happen before.

Jim

Boolit Master
    The little-bitty Hungarian PA-63 in 9mm Makarov with tiny grips. Painful recoil. Sharp edges. It was brand new and trying to work the stiff controls could wear a lot of hide off your hands.

Boolit Master
    Not an uncomfortable one to shoot, but a story for being prepared for the shot.......I have a. 54 caliber TC scout pistol.....quite a handful, but fairly easy to shoot. Well, I had loaded it with the maximum charge, 430 grain bullet and 120 grains of powder, and as I was settling down to aim, there was a distraction a split second before firing, (This is an endorsement for securing your surroundings at whatever impromptu range you may set up) and I touched off the gun without being ready. Yes, stupid and careless, but instructional. When I got the gun under control, it was beside my head. If it's path had been 3 or 4 inches to the left, it would have cold cocked me. Never before Never after!!
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast