Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What is the most absolute unconfortable handgun you have ever shot? Recoil wise

Boolit Grand Master
    I will not fire anything more than .357 Mag in a full size revolver. Guess I must be a girly man...but I make up for it by hitting what needs hitting.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

It was either an original Automag or a Wildey, but the rear of the grip amounted to holding a board planed to a pair of perfectly square right angles. It HURT!
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Got to be a M29 6" with LH thumbrest grips and I'm righthanded and Norma .44 Mag Carbine loads or a Superblackhawk 6 1/2" with smooth polished custom real ivory grips. Darn thing was beautiful but flipped verically every shot. Nothing to hold on to./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Grand Master

I am not particularly recoil sensitive. While the 11 oz S&W 357's and the S&W 460/500 can be brisk they still don't hold a candle to the early Contender grips paired with some of the lightweight big bore barrel combs.

I've split the web on my hand more than once in the late 70's early 80's with my Contender.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Not a pistol, but was a double barreled coach gun that was sawed off at 12". Had 2 3" sabot slugs loaded and I pulled both triggers on a "friends" advice.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master
    My buddy has a 45acp revolver. A very light weight all titanium model with hard wood grips. With a 230gr +P load it's very painful to say the least. I've shot much bigger loads but they were out of big heavy guns with soft cushy grips.

Boolit Master
    Not me, and I wasn't even there. A navy buddy of mine had a friend that was a hobby gunsmith. He built a pistol in 444 Marlin on a Remington rolling block. The ergonomics on that thing must not have been the best. The one and only time he shot it it broke his wrist. Me personally - The stiffest recoil I've experienced from a handgun was shooting a friends 454 Casul single action. I can tolerate a full power 44 mag with both hands, but the 454 was a bit much.

Boolit Buddy

S&W 625-10 Scandium 45ACP snubbie. With standard factory 230 gr ball ammo my hand was sore for days after shooting two cylinders full. It positively STUNG my hand to shoot it. Even a set of Pachmayr soft rubber Decellerator grips barely took the edge off. Then I discovered two things: The 625-10 was prone to frame cracking at the barrel boss, and only 250 were made. I waited a couple years and sold it to a S&W collector for more then 2x what I paid for it and haven't looked back.

Noah

Boolit Master
    I have a Davis Industries .38 Special that’s pretty bad to shoot. The grip is about the size of my thumb. Trying to hold onto the gun while firing is interesting. Too loose and the guns basically jumps out of your hand. Too tight a grip and it tears skin off. I figured I’d try some light loads and see if it could be accurate. Even light .38 Specials were painful to shoot and accuracy was bad with all loads. Hitting a sheet of paper at 7 yards was about all you could expect.

Boolit Grand Master

Remington XP-100 Chambered in 458 Win Mag.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master
    Same as stubshaft. A guy on the line saw me staring at him and he offer me a shot. One was enough.

A Ruger Blackhawk with the squared off trigger guard in 44mag.
    I had polished wood grips that I couldn't hold on to. The fist shot put a small cut in the web of my hand. The second tore the skin off the knuckle of my finger. There was no third shot.

First off, I have owned up to 6 .44 Mags at any given time. I have fire many of the large caliber handguns such as the 45-70 BFR, 356 JDR, 454 Casull and a couple of 50 Caliber wildcats. I have yet to fire a 500 Smith. By far the most uncomfortable is my little LCP with factory loads.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Kel-Tec P3AT. Least-enjoyable gun I have ever had the pleasure to carry and misfortune to actually shoot, it was so darn snappy.

Would rather shoot full-house 357 mag in my steel J-frame.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Grand Master
    A S&W 29 3" bbl round butt with those funky "combat" grips and some heavy 300+ grains boolits rang my bell. Honorable mention goes to a 30-30 TC with the old, wooden grips. It hurt. You couldn't pay me to shoot the 45/70 after that.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Come on you need to fire five shot group with 550 grain at 1500. It will give valuable info on recoil, gritting your teeth and hanging on as you keep the sights aligned and easing back on the trigger till it fires and using proper follow through.

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    A S&W 29 3" bbl round butt with those funky "combat" grips and some heavy 300+ grains boolits rang my bell. Honorable mention goes to a 30-30 TC with the old, wooden grips. It hurt. You couldn't pay me to shoot the 45/70 after that.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    For me it would be the stupid mistake of shooting a J frame airweight (not steel) in full house 357 Magnum.
    I bought this same revolver to use as a carry gun right before completing my concealed carry class. Bought it factory new, the most I'd ever spent on a pistol. It performed fine during the class qualifications with the provided wadcutters, then after passing the course and getting my permit I went to practice with full-house defensive rounds. I fired ONE cylinder load and promptly packed up and walked out of the range to the consignment desk and sold it on the spot. I'll NEVER fire one again. My palm was chapped and red and my wrist was sore for a week. It's 9mm compact or steel frame .38 SPL for me from now on.
    BDGR

Boolit Bub
    up the road from an old western pa. coal patch
    Kel tec P40. A very light 40 cal (16 Oz) that is very reliable, but not fun to shoot at all.
    3 mags worth is all I can take. Its a perfect deep concealed carry pistol with a lot of power but I can see why they dropped it. Tom

I own and have shot my John Ross S&W 500 but, I can't say it was uncomfortable to do so? Most hunter never feel the recoil while hunting.
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

.45-70 derringer. When loaded, the bullet tip was 1/2" below the muzzle. It was only uncontrollable once, but that's because I only shot it once.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast