RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Wideners Load Data

Thread: 357 Magnum 149gr DEWC seating depth question

Boolit Mold

357 Magnum 149gr DEWC seating depth question

Hi, I am developing a load using a 149gr DEWC coated lead boolit for a 4" Python. I have both Tight group and Bullseye powders. I loaded a few with the bullet crimped in the top grove. This puts the WC just protruding from the case. I this the norm? or should I seat it differently. I have not loaded a DEWC before.

The H&G 50 wadcutters that I loaded last night were seated to the crimp groove and crimped in the groove with the nose of the bullet protruding. The only time you need a flush fit wadcutter is for 38 specials to be shot in Smith and Wesson Model 52 semi-autos or in colt 1911 wadcutter guns. If you decide to load the bullet flush with the case mouth reduce the load. Going from a wadcutter load that is seated to the crimp groove to seating the wadcutter flush with the casemouth can skyrocket the pressures.

Boolit Grand Master
    The beauty of the DEWC is that you can load it to several different OAL, depending where you decide to crimp it. I use it in 38 Specials. For my S&W 52-1, I load them flush with the case for an OAL of ~1.16". For my model 14, I get better accuracy if I load them to about 1.3" and crimp in the upper grease groove. You can also load them to crimp in the middle grease groove for standard power loads with 3.5-3.8 grains of Bullseye.

I know that you are going to be using them in the 357 Magnum, so the OAL will be different, but you can load Flush for low power target, in the first lube groove for slightly better accuracy from a revolver, or in the middle groove for more power, adjusting the powder charges appropriately. I have never used them in any 357 loads, having other loads that work for me and use SWC or RNFP boolits.

PS. I just remembered that I have loaded some 358-63's in 357, crimped in the 1st groove and loaded with 4 grains of Red Dot--but that was back in the 20th century.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 08-14-2022 at 10:30 AM. Reason: add info.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    The beauty of the DEWC is that you can load it to several different OAL, depending where you decide to crimp it. I use it in 38 Specials. For my S&W 52-1, I load them flush with the case for an OAL of ~1.16". For my model 14, I get better accuracy if I load them to about 1.3" and crimp in the upper grease groove. You can also load them to crimp in the middle grease groove for standard power loads with 3.5-3.8 grains of Bullseye.

I know that you are going to be using them in the 357 Magnum, so the OAL will be different, but you can load Flush for low power target, in the first lube groove for slightly better accuracy from a revolver, or in the middle groove for more power, adjusting the powder charges appropriately. I have never used them in any 357 loads, having other loads that work for me and use SWC or RNFP boolits.

PS. I just remembered that I have loaded some 358-63's in 357, crimped in the 1st groove and loaded with 4 grains of Red Dot--but that was back in the 20th century.
    ^^^^^ This is excellent advice. I can't improve on it.

I've never used Titegroup, but I've had great luck with Bullseye in both DEWC and SWC.
    I can't remember the charges, but they're one click down from the max. in the Lyman book.

I wouldn't hesitate going up to the max for the Python.
    With Lead boolits--- There's no way you'll shoot your eye out kid unless you really, really work towards it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Seems like the correct way would be to load them to the OAL specified in the loading manual you are using.
    If you aren't sure where to crimp your DEWC maybe you shouldn't be making up your own loading data too.
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Boolit Master
    Colt has a faster twist than S&W. Your Bullseye seated flush and lightly roll crimped with a flat base boolit will get you there. If you had some American Select that may improve. 920 fps is about the limit before you start loosing accuracy. If you could find a 358432 Lyman mold that may help also with a 357. My 357 magnum groups a little better with 38 special brass. You can go 920 with them also. I can't tell any accuracy loss using American Select -W231-or Bullseye using 3.2--3.8 grains with a WHEEL- gun. <no autos>I have some sticking out also but no accuracy gain. I am talking 1 1/2'' or better bench loads at 25 yards with 10 shots.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 08-14-2022 at 04:38 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

With 2.7 grains of Bullseye we tested seating Flush , crimped in Top groove and crimped in Second groove .and shooting loads for bullseye accuracy .
    I don't have the numbers but crimping in the Top crimp/grease groove gave best accuracy . I'm calling them crimp grooves but they may all be grease grooves ... ? ...Whatever they are we used them .
    That test wasn't exhaustive , fired 20 rounds of each on a bullseye target but the Top Groove got the nod ever so slightly . I was kinda expecting the flush seated rounds to do better but I think the better crimp groove allowed more consistent crimp .
    Indoor range , 75 feet , slow fire , S&W model 64 , 6" bbl .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 08-17-2022 at 02:09 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

I think you’re supposed to crimp into the BOTTOM crimp groove so that you have virtually the entire case available to fill with H110.