MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Power charge for CEF pistol for MP 138gr HP cast boolits.

Boolit Buddy

Power charge for CEF pistol for MP 138gr HP cast boolits.

Can anyone using CFE Pistol recommend a load for the boolit in the subject line. I've used Win231 for this projectile but not CFE. I've been using 4.8gr of CFE for the Campro 124 FCP round nose with decent results but I'm not sure how to adjust for the slightly heavier 138.5gr cast lead boolit.

What cartridge?
    I would suggest the Hodgdon data site. They have extensive data for all there powders.
    https://www.hodgdonreloading.com

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry should have mentioned 9mm. I'll check the link.

Boolit Buddy
    So am I correct in assuming that the heavier the boolit the less powder and lighter boolit more powder? The link provided doesn't list any cast boolits unless I'm doing something wrong. It does list an Acme 135gr RN CTD. Not sure what CTD means or if it's a cast boolit or not.

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/rel...c=true&type=53

Yes, you are correct in that assumption.
    That acme boolit is a cast round nose. CTD stands for coated.
    The powder charges should be applicable for your usage. As always, start low and work up.
    If you have access to a chronograph, use it to see the effects of small powder charge changes.
    I have a load using CFE Pistol that I use with a 135 grain RNFP from NOE. I use slightly less powder than the maximum listed on the Hodgdon site and am getting velocities slightly over 1000 FPS in my pistols. Accuracy is great.
    Last edited by tazman; 08-14-2022 at 12:53 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Yes, you are correct in that assumption.
    That acme boolit is a cast round nose. CTD stands for coated.
    The powder charges should be applicable for your usage. As always, start low and work up.
    If you have access to a chronograph, use it to see the effects of small powder charge changes.
    I have a load using CFE Pistol that I use with a 135 grain RNFP from NOE. I use slightly less powder than the maximum listed on the Hodgdon site and am getting velocities slightly over 1000 FPS in my pistols. Accuracy is great.
    Thanks so much for the info.... appreciate it. I will follow it and work up as suggested. I don't have a chronograph but perhaps once I understand the correlation I'll get one. I see it in context all the time but I've never tried to understand why one is needed for reloading . I'll have to do some googling to see what it's all about.

The uses for a chronograph are several.
    Speed of course being the first. Are you getting the velocity you expected.
    Second. When working up a load, make incremental changes to the powder charge and check the changes in velocity. This is important because, when nearing the max loading(in your pistol) the velocity changes mat no longer be linear. A sudden spike in velocity indicates an unstable load situation and a need to back off the charge weight even if you are not at book maximum.
    Third. You can see what velocities work best in your pistol with a given powder. This can change due to the differing burn rates of different powders.
    Fourth. When you reach an acceptable velocity for your usage, you can stop there. No need to have a max powder charge if a lower pressure load will do the job you need done. Plinking and practice loads don't need to be full power to accomplish the goals. Lighter loads are easier on your firearm and you.
    There are undoubtedly more uses for a chronograph, but these are the ones that I apply while working up a load.

Boolit Buddy
    Well that's a great explanation. Now you have sparked my interest.