Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Finally Finished My New Backstop

Finally Finished My New Backstop

Added Picture of Bench at the bottom. Still need to add seat for rifle addition and get it all painted. If you look close you can see the backstop.

Well My Backstop is DONE and it did indeed take me a LOOOOONG time, but that is the joy of retirement NO hurry. It is about six foot tall and 8 foot square. Left side, Right side and Back are 9 layers (rows) of Railroad Ties. Front has 3 layers (rows) of Railroad ties on the bottom Each Layer (row) of Railroad ties overlap on all 4 corners. Layers of Rail road ties are secured with 3/8 x 12 inch spikes. Bottom two rows are anchored to the ground by 48 inch long 1/2 steel rebar. It is filled with a dump truck full of field dirt. The target stand (Both Plumb and Level) on the front is a 2x6 stud wall with inner and outer wall of treated ground contact plywood. Target stand is screwed together so it can be replaced if needed or just screw another sheet on the front. Top cap and bottom 2x6 of target stand will also be painted red. The RED is OFF Limits as this is the frame and studs are behind the upright red stripes. Top and bottom red is just a safety buffer. The grid of black stripes on unpainted plywood is used as a guide to place targets plumb and level.

Put first 7 layers up by myself, but finally hollered for the sons and grandsons for help. Punched a few holes in it this am but had already taken my phone in side so no pic of My pitiful shooting LOL Maybe next time. Sorry for all the rambling, maybe the pictures below will explain better.

It holds 20 8.5 x 11 printed targets or 4 HUGE ones. I am sure the Kids and Grandkids and Yes Papa too will enjoy it for years to come.

Life is GOOD

Safe shooting
    Doug

Last edited by tred1956; 08-14-2022 at 02:27 PM.
    Enjoy life but remember, we are only practicing for something better !!

Great project, Doug. Well done. It should endure for many years.

DG

Quote Originally Posted by tred1956 View Post
    Well My Backstop is DONE and it did indeed take me a LOOOOONG time, but that is the joy of retirement NO hurry. ]

Good job.

I retired 5 years ago and have learned that projects that were so important, I had to stay up all night,
    and work all weekend to complete---- heck. Now I can stretch those out for months!
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Great looking backstop. When the crossties need to be replaced burn the old ones and get the lead out of the ashes.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Nice job! I usually shoot into an old tree or a metal trap I built so I could recover the lead.

Boolit Master

Very nice.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    Needed some dirt to fill an access point to our woods over a drainage pipe. Removed all of it from the hillside and made a backstop into the hillside. About 6' wide and 5' deep. Use the bucket to remove dirt and recover the lead. Have about 25' so far so it is mainly for pistols.

Don

Moderator Emeritus

Very nice. Now that you are finally finished with yours, mine has been waiting a few years for you
    Ron