Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Swaging/ bumping 180 gr .308 FMJ to .312 FMJ for 303 Brit?

Boolit Buddy

Swaging/ bumping 180 gr .308 FMJ to .312 FMJ for 303 Brit?

Just wonder if anyone has built a bump die for up sizing a .308 FMJ to .312?
    I've seen one somewhere where someone was bumping bullets up and sizing them to a true diameter.
    They did in a vise. Slow process but if you only need a few.

I have a lot of 180 gr 308 FMJ. And I would do this for a hundred or so. Perhaps the manufactures would get back to making them again.

Problem around here is getting 303 Brit bullets. Like Hens teeth up and when you do find some, they want $62 bucks a hundred for them.
    I have a handmade .312 sizing die for putting gas checks on .312 cast boolets. So, when I'm done bumping, I can resize to .312

I think a two piece die that comes apart like a mold, with line up pins. 2 pieces so you can get the swaged bullet out.
    Ideas?

Boolit Buddy
    behind the lines of enemy territory,60 miles from NYC
    Can't help you with the swaging, but in these lean times, have you considered cast boolits, maybe at "mousefart" levels?
    Ive had fun with these:
    https://missouribullet.com/details.p...320&category=6

Boolit Buddy
    I do reload .303 with 174 GC cast but the guy I'm trying to help wants FMJ. He is a reloader and he casts bullets too and doesn't seem to have much sucess with cast. I asked if he was pushing it too fast or too hard an alloy? Anyway, he's given up on cast for his 303.

Boolit Buddy
    I have done this. With a die I made for a reloading press.It would take a 147gr nato bullet up to .314 dia. I used them in my enfield. They shot ok about as good as some other bullets I had of .312 dia. The point being the reduction in throat erosion from firing a too small a bullet.
    I used a rock chucker press and the effort was not all that heavy.