Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: 43 reformado boolit question

Boolit Bub

43 reformado boolit question

I've been finding answers here for years so I hope the experts can help me again. I acquired a roller in 43 reformado. It's an original Remington made first contract saddle ring carbine rechambered to 43 reformado. I bought a few 43 spanish brass from Track of the Wolf and some .439 385 grain boolits from Buffalo Arms. I loaded 70gr of FF lightly compressed, a card wad, a 3/16 grease cookie, and another card wad below my boolit. The cases fire formed nicely but here's my question and possible problem. The case mouth ID is now .468+/- and the bore is still .440. In Layman's book he states that most 43 Spanish that were rechambered were not rebored. That's what I have. How big of boolit can I shoot? .458? That's .018 over bore size! I understand filling the throat with lead but how much is to much? Chamber cast at the case mouth is .492, case neck thickness is .008. Resizing back to .440 will kill this pricey brass in short order. This is my first post but I have been reloading for 40 years and never seen this. Neil

Boolit Bub
    Pics of the problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boolits2.jpg  

Boolit Master

What alloy?
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Bub
    Soft, probably 20-1

Boolit Grand Master
    Ugly situation there with the Reformado chamber butchery... I'm thanking my stars that Argentina didn't go this route.

I don't believe I would go all the way to .458 projectiles. Maybe .446 ones meant for the 11mm Mauser or .44-77?

Maybe have to anneal cases each firing?

Good Luck with it and welcome aboard.

Someone that has already solved this problem will no doubt be along shortly.

Robert

Boolit Master

I am wondering if you wish you had that money back. Welcome to the world of period black powder cartridge! My reference claims this Reformondo ( 0.545" bullet ) was the original Spanish, suplanted by the 43 Spanish ( 0.439 bullet ). I am not sure how that plays with your info that the 43 was earlier and should have been re bored/cut to 454. No matter. If I have got your numbers correct, you can chamber a 458" 45-70 bullet. Never hurts to be 2 or 3 thousands over groove dia. I would get a 45ACP or 45 Colt dies size die and polish it out a thou or two or more as needed. You can leave a larger flare exposed to help center in the chamber when loaded. hope that helps.

Boolit Bub
    Ascast, I didn't pay much for it to begin with as it came with problems. I was going to re-barrel it but when it showed up it was in much better shape then I expected. I know from research reformado =money pit. The books can't agree on when the spanish and reformado came to be. I think the rechambering came about because Mr. Remington talked the Spanish government into a caliber they didn't want. I'm getting responses elsewhere that size doesn't matter P.O. Ackley apparently opened the neck of a 30-06 to accept a .358 bullet and fired it in a 30 cal. barrel with no rise in pressure. But I'm guessing his rifle wasn't 160 years old.
    Last edited by northwoodneil; 08-21-2022 at 07:07 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Will soldering on a thicker neck work? I tried one to see if I could do it, other than dialing in the lathe a little closer it works. But is it safe will it hold?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20220821_090914_resized.jpg  

Boolit Bub
    I cast some 405gr .457 today. They dropped from the mold at .456 with 30-1 alloy. I tried slugging the barrel with one and quit with it half way in. There is no way I've got the nerve to touch one of those off in front of 70gr of black. So will my idea above work?