RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Why doesn't transmission fluid cause problems?

Why doesn't transmission fluid cause problems?

My understanding was that petroleum products degraded powder and priming compounds. Yet I see many bullet lube recipes that utilize ATF. I'll be pan or tumble-lubing, so lubricant will definitely be present on the base of my boolits. Should I avoid this ingredient?

Boolit Master
    Why are you tumble lubeing your boolets in transmission fluid?
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

It is more about quantity and condition of lube. The atf is present in small quantities and will be in a wax carrier, so the amount present will be extremely minute and also not available to cause a problem.
    Last edited by BK7saum; 08-17-2022 at 07:36 AM.

Boolit Master

And if you are pan lubing where there might be a larger amount, just wipe the base of the bullet when removing it from the cake.

I get a little lube on the bottom of boolits even using a sizer.
    I just lay a piece of blue jean cloth on my leg, and give them a quick wipe before I seat them.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    Why are you tumble lubeing your boolets in transmission fluid?
    I'm not, it just appears to be a common ingredient in lube recipes.

Boolit Grand Master

Because the amount of trans fluid in contact with the powder is infinitesimal. Stop worrying.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    ATF will be blended with and diluted in other substances like beeswax that make up the greasy bullet lube.
    I would choose to use a vegetable based ATF like Lubegard brand that says it made from Jojoba seed oil.

After pan lubing wipe the bullet base off on a pad built up of several layers of paper towel then there will be no lube on the bullet base.

Also I believe that powder contamination by lube is a over worried about non issue.
    In the mining business Diesel oil is mixed with ammonia nitrate to make an explosive for blasting, it’s the biggest bang for the Buck$.
    So if a small amount of lube did get onto the powder I suspect it would just burn, adding its energy to the blast upon firing.
    Last edited by greenjoytj; 08-14-2022 at 09:00 PM.

Boolit Master
    When I first started this cast boolit stuff the recommendation was to not use petroleum-based lubes or additives with Black powder. It may not matter all that much since I see plenty of folks lubes containing petroleum and loading BP without problems.
    If the lube of any type is too runny or melts in storage, then I could imagine some contamination might happen.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by HumptyDumpty View Post
    My understanding was that petroleum products degraded powder and priming compounds.

...SNIP
    With the amounts specified in 'tried n true' lube recipes, it's my understanding that this will never happen.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I just lay a piece of blue jean cloth on my leg, and give them a quick wipe before I seat them.

I been doing the same thing for a zillion years ... works like a black magic Voo-Doo charm .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post

I been doing the same thing for a zillion years ... works like a black magic Voo-Doo charm .
    I wipe mine as I take them out the sizer / lubricator before going into boolit box .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    If you have concerns put a tight card wad over powder and a plastic wad under bullet been doing this for years tight card wad holds powder down to prrimer and tight plastic wad protects base of bullet and acts like a cleaner round i use black horn 209 with mag primers no air space under bullet>> very consistant loads this way

Boolit Master
    if you are loading anything with cast and most / some rifle powers and loading with less than 70% fill,

I have been using a dacron ... powder positioner or filler in 308/ 30-06 I am using a postage stamp size pc and stuffing it in the the case

I think if the lube gets so hot in the sun ... was shooting a couple of weeks ago and it was 90 in the shade

I think if the lube melts the dacron filler will slow it down before it gets to the powder/ primer

No Problems and this is a soft lube -- no heat required even lubing in the colder temps in the basement

Boolit Master

Just store them bullet down in your plastic storage boxes ie MTM 50's hundreds etc.

There are better ingredients than atf if it bothers you @OP. If you are a purist then use non petroleum products especially with BP. Eeyuck

I like ATF expecially for cleaning my guns. But everything gets wiped dry or almost dry.

The real kicker for me was my old Heritage Rough Rider .22 convertable revolver. It was getting sticky and stiff.

So I cleaned it well with ATF. Wiped it dry, let it sit a day. My lord that revolver never sounded so good. The cylinder never spun that many times. It was like a well oiled sewing machine in perfect tune. It just ran.

Since then I clean everything with ATF (it cleans leaded barrels also)

It is slick stuff which makes good boolit lube IMO. If your concerned about contamination, wipe the bullet bases. And store them nose up.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

I use the ATF when I make my bullet lube, I use the old NRA lube. I use it for all my boolits from handgun to rifle.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA