Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Big 45 Frontier for Parkerized finishes?

Big 45 Frontier for Parkerized finishes?

Hi there!

I had been recommended Frontier 45 for my blued revolver, and I've got to say that stuffs works like nothing else I've seen! Not a bit of harm on my bluing, and the nasty rust was gone.
    https://www.big45metalcleaner.com/

I'd like to know if this product would work the same on a parkerized finish without damaging the original finish or discoloring it.

Are there any other finishes that this product should not be used on?

Boolit Master
    I personally would not use it on a parkerized finish - at least not without contacting the manufacturer first. I suspect that it would remove the parkerizing, the same as any other abrasive does.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    I personally would not use it on a parkerized finish - at least not without contacting the manufacturer first. I suspect that it would remove the parkerizing, the same as any other abrasive does.
    What would you suggest would work best for getting rust out of a parkerized finish, then?

Boolit Master
    scrub with oil soaked 0000 steel wool

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    scrub with oil soaked 0000 steel wool
    Steel wool will most definitely remove parkerizing. I don't know how bad the rust on the OP's gun is, so it's difficult to make suggestions. Any abrasive will remove the parkerizing to some extent. That may be unavoidable, but try to minimize it. A good rub down with CLP or something comparable on a rag will sometimes go a long way towards removing rust - depending on the severity of the rust. I have used cold blue to touch up small spots where parkerizing was removed before, and it didn't look terrible. Not great, but not terrible, either.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Buddy
    Try some Evaporust (can be found online or at car parts places like O'Reillys). I haven't tried it on parkerizing but it does not harm intact metal.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 36g View Post
    Try some Evaporust (can be found online or at car parts places like O'Reillys). I haven't tried it on parkerizing but it does not harm intact metal.
    parkerizing
    Evaporust is a great product but it does remove bluing. I never used it on a parkerized parts so I don't have any firsthand experience, however, these folks do.

https://orisonmarketing.com/pages/evapo-rust-faq
    EVAPO-RUST® will remove sacrificial oxide coatings and is perfect for removing weapon finishes such as Bluing, Parkerizing, Zinc Phosphate, and Browning. Other coatings such as Anodizing, Cobalt Tungsten Carbide, Powder Coating, Chrome, Nickel and Paint will not be removed as long as they do not contain oxides and are still adhered to the surface.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-19-2022 at 11:10 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    A toothbrush and CLP gets my vote.

A toothbrush and CLP gets my vote.
    I think I'll go ahead and start with that and work my way up the ladder, so to speak.

Boolit Master

What about phosphoric acid? I use it to remove rust from car parts, and it leaves a coating of Iron Phosphate (it 'passivates' the metal, making it VERY rust-resistant). If it does remove parkerizing, it will still leave a dark gray finish. Have any parts to test it on?
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodman14 View Post
    What about phosphoric acid? I use it to remove rust from car parts, and it leaves a coating of Iron Phosphate (it 'passivates' the metal, making it VERY rust-resistant). If it does remove parkerizing, it will still leave a dark gray finish. Have any parts to test it on?
    Phosphoric Acid, AKA Evapo-Rust.

Boolit Grand Master

Phosphoric Acid, AKA Evapo-Rust.
    Naval Jelly contains around 30% phosphoric acid. Phosphoric acid is hazardous.

Evapo-Rust keeps a close hold on the chemical formula but it is non-toxic non-hazardous per the MSDS so it is does not contain phosphoric acid.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Evaporust does not contain any phosphoric acid. It's more likely chelating agents with a strong possibility of EDTA.