RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything

Thread: $20 Cast Iron 2-1/2-inch Clamp-On Bench Vise

$20 Cast Iron 2-1/2-inch Clamp-On Bench Vise

You might want to check out the Harbor Freight 2-1/2-inch cast iron, clamp-on three-axis bench vise.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-1-2-...ise-97160.html

For $20, I figured I'd take the risk. It's pretty sturdy and allows me to rotate whatever I'm working on to almost any angle. I notice it's on clearance now and no longer available at my local HF.

One note of caution: OPEN THE BOX IN THE STORE and check the tolerances. The first one I bought was so poorly machined that the outer jaw just flopped around. I had to hold it in position to tighten it.

I took it back and traded it for a better one. Now it's become a really useful tool. Easy to mount and remove from the bench. Will clamp to a 1-1/2" thick bench top or you can drill holes and mount it permanently.

I find I'm using it all the time to hold guns securely and safely while I'm working on them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Harbor Freight Bench Vise IMG_2473.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	303109

Boolit Master
    I can see 101 uses for that gizmo.... dead easy to sharpen chainsaw in a vice,and being able to swing it 180 degrees without removing it would be great.... fiddle angle needing filed would be much easier too . heck at $20 that is fantastic price....we would be looking at 10x that amount over here.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty1776 View Post
    You might want to check out the Harbor Freight 2-1/2-inch cast iron, clamp-on three-axis bench vise.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-1-2-...ise-97160.html

For $20, I figured I'd take the risk. It's pretty sturdy and allows me to rotate whatever I'm working on to almost any angle. I notice it's on clearance now and no longer available at my local HF.

One note of caution: OPEN THE BOX IN THE STORE and check the tolerances. The first one I bought was so poorly machined that the outer jaw just flopped around. I had to hold it in position to tighten it.

I took it back and traded it for a better one. Now it's become a really useful tool. Easy to mount and remove from the bench. Will clamp to a 1-1/2" thick bench top or you can drill holes and mount it permanently.

I find I'm using it all the time to hold guns securely and safely while I'm working on them.

Name:	Harbor Freight Bench Vise IMG_2473.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	303109
    Just looked at the 5 in stock purchased 3. Thanks!!!!!!!!!
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Here's another good one for small money. Smaller but well made.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On this one the REAR jaw moves on a dovetail way, so the jaw alignment stays near perfect. I've used mine for about 3 months now and like it a lot.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post

On this one the REAR jaw moves on a dovetail way, so the jaw alignment stays near perfect. I've used mine for about 3 months now and like it a lot.
    That's a nice looking vise for very reasonable money.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Just looked at the 5 in stock purchased 3. Thanks!!!!!!!!!
    I disassembled mine (four screws, I recall) to check for obvious burrs and sharp edges. I then greased the threads and cast iron interfaces.

To store it, I flip it upside down and clamp it to the far end of the bench instead of using up drawer or shelf space. Easy to get to.

Boolit Grand Master

I clamp such things onto the floor joists over my basement bench.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master

Nice. Just ordered one.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Same vise at amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Tabl...s%2C403&sr=1-6
    Check the reviews, some say the vises received were marked "Central Forge" same as HF.

Last edited by Kenstone; 08-13-2022 at 01:29 PM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Master

I avoid anything made in communist china
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    I got one a couple of years ago. It is my most used vice. Paid for itself many times over. Just so handy.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Master

I could see, if it were retrofitted with "soft jaws", that it would be ideal to use when drifting sights.

Be careful with this one. I was going to buy it as a second vise and even put it in the shopping cart, then read the reviews. The main jaw has a fatal weakness that many users have experienced. You can see where it will break.

Name:	Bench Vise Broken Jaw.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	303172

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    I avoid anything made in communist china
    Is there an American-made vise in existence? Or British? Even the vaunted Wilton name is now hollowed out due to poor quality from very suspect sourcing.

Here's a Wilton for $187. Some say Czech Republic, others say Taiwan, others say China. Sadly, the Wilton has real mechanical problems. https://www.amazon.com/Wilton-63247-..._t2_B01LYSOF24

Boolit Buddy
    Is there an American-made vise in existence?
    Yard sales from folks cleaning out a house. Some years ago picked up an old 4" Craftsman (yep, made in USA) for like 10-bucks. Couldn't get the money out of my pocket fast enough.

45_Colt

Be careful with this one. I was going to buy it as a second vise and even put it in the shopping cart, then read the reviews. The main jaw has a fatal weakness that many users have experienced. You can see where it will break.

Name:	Bench Vise Broken Jaw.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	303172
    The picture attached to that review is not the vise with the sliding rear jaw that I received.

Edit - on closer inspection I take it back. Mine is red, but the hollow below the screw appears the same when seen in strong enough light. Still, mine hasn't broken, and I just now tried tightening it up using both hands.

My complaint would be that Amazon shipped the thing in one of their recyclable paper bags, which tore open en route so the plastic pieces were lost.
    Last edited by uscra112; 08-14-2022 at 01:35 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

After seeing this post I ran over to HF and picked me up a vise, pretty good for the money..

If this HF model breaks, I'd try the McMaster-Carr offerings, but they're $135-$165.

https://www.mcmaster.com/bench-vises...bench-vises-6/

Name:	Bench Vise McMaster Carr.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	303207

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    I could see, if it were retrofitted with "soft jaws", that it would be ideal to use when drifting sights.
    I found some scrap sheet copper at a metal dealer. Good idea.

Boolit Master
    First thing I did was to make soft jaw pads. I just hot glue the ones I need at the time to the jaw faces.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.