MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Successful cast bullet shooting with Swedish Mausers

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    "I've said before, I'll say again. Take that Lee 170 gr two cav mold from Midsouth and throw it out in the street and sit back with a beer and watch trucks run over it."

Sage advice for the "Cruise Missle" bullet. My experience with that bullet reflects the same opinion........
    Larry I can agree to that to because he's talking about the mold from Midsouth. It's drastically oversize. Unless I'm mistaken I don't believe he's talking about the original one. What do you think of the new LEE 6.5 mold?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TD1886 View Post
    Have you seen the new LEE 6.5 mold? Look here:

https://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-c266-140-rf
    I had not seen this. What I'm going to do is wait until some of YOUSE guys try it and I'll read and learn from y'alls experience. Then I'll wait until Lee releases this mold in a 6 cavity offering.

But thanks for the heads up!

Dutch

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TD1886 View Post
    Larry I can agree to that to because he's talking about the mold from Midsouth. It's drastically oversize. Unless I'm mistaken I don't believe he's talking about the original one. What do you think of the new LEE 6.5 mold?
    I'm sure he is talking about the oversized CM mould. My thorough testing of the CM from that mould is well covered in; https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...Cruise-Missile

The original one shoots much better? Haven't seen that yet as those moulds seem to be rarer than hen's teeth.......

The new Lee mould seems to be a facsimile copy of the NOE 269-145-FN. I already have the NOE mould (on the right).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BRP 269469     NOE 269145FN.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	312181

I don't really think the Lee bullet will give any better performance in the 1500 +/- fps range. Unfortunately, the Lee bullet unlike the NOE bullet appears to have the old styled very large lube grooves. With today's modern lubes such as 2500+ or even the NRA 50/50 the old style large lube grooves are not needed. The also are a weak point if the bullet is to be pushed harder as the interior column is more prone to bending, twisting or collapse. Like Dutchman, I'll wait and see......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    I had not seen this. What I'm going to do is wait until some of YOUSE guys try it and I'll read and learn from y'alls experience. Then I'll wait until Lee releases this mold in a 6 cavity offering.

But thanks for the heads up!

Dutch
    Dutch it's been released. I haven't looked up who has it, Lee does have in stock. I may get one.

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't necessarily toss a bad Lee mold out in the street: it's more satisfying to tie it to the trailer hitch and drag it around for awhile. That being said, I've noticed another unrelated issue. Most of the guys having stellar success with the 6.5x55 have been getting good results shooting the Loverin style Lyman # 266469. For me that hasn't been the case. I've had mediocre results with this bullet, both lubed and powder coated. Using the bore riding Lyman # 266673 the rifle shoots like gang busters. Before everyone starts casting the stink-eye at any particular mold, I'd like to propose the novel idea that each rifle & mold combination can be a rule onto itself, and just because a particular bullet isn't the best in one guys gun doesn't mean that it's bad in everyone's. By the same token, just because a bullet will shoot lights out in your buddies rifle doesn't mean that its going to like yours. I guess the only way to find out which 6.5 mold is going to be the best for you is to try it out and see.

Banned
    I went ahead and ordered the mould. So we will have a wait of getting the mould, casting, and then letting the bullets ages.....so going to be a while.

Boolit Grand Master

My most accurate cast bullet in my 6.5 Swedes has been the shorter Lyman 266455 which casts a 128 - 130 gr Lovern bullet. With mine sized and GC'd at .266 and seated with the GC at the base of the case neck the driving band just kissed the leade. That give a perfect fit IMO and the on 100 yard target accuracy, even when pushed to 2000 +/- fps, shows that. However, past 100 yards the adverse effect or the RPM Threshold takes over and accuracy suffers. When shot slower at 1400 - 1500 fps it gives moa accuracy at 100 yards.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    I have had some success with the 140 gn Saeco, a long nose bore rider, H4198(2207) 18 gns shot as cast .269. Lino depleted 20 bn ,GC with a die I made ,tumble alox+mineral turps.Mod 96 1918, will consistently go 1.5”@ 100 yds sometime a little better, std issue sights. Cheers Mal in au.

My Swede likes the bore riding Lyman 266673 (150 grains), with either 5744 or Reloder7 to make 1700 FPS. And even better, the NOE 269-163 bore rider with 4759 (yeah, what load doesn't like that) at 1600 FPS, under 1 MOA iron sighted.

A different load for every gun's desires, though. That is almost always true.

good luck, garrisonjoe
    Last edited by garrisonjoe; 03-27-2023 at 05:09 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I got to see the new Lee mold at the last show; has a huge flat on the nose. Don't think it would work too well thru a magazine. Time will tell..................................

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12