Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So looking at Ruger .22 revolvers suggestions?

So looking at Ruger .22 revolvers suggestions?

I have a chance to purchase a long desired 1911 period 45 ACP from a private party. In this state that means getting a pistol permit from sheriffs office. While there I noted a box for number of permits and because my wife let me go unchaperoned I put a "2" in that box.

Couple of items vying for that second permit. One is a .22 LR revolver and I like Ruger being familiar with the GP and SP and Vaquero.

Since this is intended as a plinker and a way to insure I don't die with a bunch of Y2K .22 LR ammo to be disposed of... Price matters. I'm not buying for a legacy to pass on. Wife likes .22 rifle and would probably enjoy a 22 pistol if it wasn't too heavy. Normal for her is a .38 snub nose but the .22 having less recoil would be more enjoyable.

Myself I have many fond memories of 22's and abandoned gravel pit outside of town back when riding a bike with gun case wasn't likely to find one talkin to a whole passel of law enforcement responding to frantic 911 calls.

So opinions on the...
    • Wrangler - can easily afford new in this as they are generally under $200. Looked nice when I saw at gun show.
    • Bearcat - would need to find in used to afford adding that to my budget.
    • Single Six - new model Again would need to find used to get to my price point.
    • SP or GP - would have to be used and even then... also .22 LR is not a common caliber as these are beefy pistols.

I am also considering the Ruger Mk4 but not a wheel gun. Still if one with experience with both the .22 wheel guns mentioned and the Mk 4 wants to weigh in with the comparative merits I'll be interested in how they compare.

At one time in my youth I owned one of the early Ruger semi-auto target pistols so have a certain fondness for them but that 45 ACP is going to be lonely looking for other auto loaders in the safe. Guess I watched more westerns and cop dramas growing up where the good guys used revolvers. The 1911 makes it in on WW2 movies and Rat Patrol. Pretty sure that is it because I'm sure not interested in the current Barretta 9mm in use by our military today.

Just looking to punch some paper myself and with family and friends while not punch a hole in the household budget. I also feel that it is important that cans going to recycling need to learn to fear me once in a while. The .22 is perfect for such lofty goals.

I should add while I can see wisdom of used quality for $600 over lesser quality item for $300 in the long term I'm equally sure my dear wife who shares in the budget impact of my purchases can see the difference in bank balance as simple math which is not easily argued with. If the answer isn't this one is going to hit twice as many bullseyes I don't have a whole lot of "ammo" in that discussion. She has seen me shoot so any gun I claim will have me hitting twice as many bullseyes is going to be greeted with extreme skepticism. Note I said cans should fear me, not that they all die quick deaths on the berm. I'm pretty sure they fear near misses, right?

All that said a better pistol is a better pistol and the price range is running $200 to $600 with several in the $400 - $500 and I can see going from $200 to $400 for a clearly better quality item. I did note that resale while not a huge factor it does speak to the perceived quality or value of the item. Oddly Wrangler doesn't lose much, of course not much room to drop either. Some on the other hand drop 1/3 from new to used 80% condition.
    Last edited by RogerDat; 08-12-2022 at 01:39 PM.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

The Wrangler is the best $200 .22 handgun out there in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Agree.

Boolit Buddy
    Ok here goes...

Son #1 has a Wrangler, Ruger Super Six and an old HS Double 9, wife has a S&W M&P 22c, Son #2 has MK4 22/45 Target ( lnib $275 @ PS) and I have a MK 4 22/45 lite.

Consensus of the group is the M&P 22c is the favorite for plinking and as a trainer for the S&W Shield with the MK4 22/45 lite coming in a close second. I placed them opposite with the 22/45 lite at #1 and the M&P 22c at #2. I give the accuracy edge to the 22/45 but the S&W is small and light enough for a purse. My wife has carried hers a few times.

If I were to buy a single action for myself it would be the Bearcat. I shot one a long time ago and it was a lot of fun. The Wrangler is a fun gun for $200 but you could step up your choices for $100-200 more.
    Cargo

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a .22 Single Six and like it. Also, a Mk III Target and like it too.

One advantage of the semi-auto is I can easily (and have) mount a red dot sight and that helps as eyes age.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I bought a Bearcat at auction a couple of years ago, it was a little beat up so I sent it to Ruger. They looked it over and said it wasn’t safe! BIG DISSAPOINTMENT!!, until they said they would replace it with a new one!
    The Bearcat is a great little revolver, if you have smaller hands it’s a nice fit. It takes some practice to shoot it well because of its size. They are very solid but very expensive! I believe they will last several lifetimes. I have a Heritage Arms that I bought for $100 that shoots very well but doesn’t give the satisfaction that the Ruger does. The Wrangler is probably a Best Buy , and any problems, Ruger customer service is second to none.!
    Good luck and good shooting whatever your choice!
    Tim

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I like my Wrangler. Had to cut down front sight to correct elevation, but windage dead on. Shoots consistent 2-inch groups at 25 yards off bags with CCI Blazer and Mini Mag. I took feeler gages to the LGS and picked one with B-C gap of pass 0.005" and hold 0.006". Don't buy one over 0.008". I am Very satisfied.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 08-19-2022 at 10:58 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    If fixed sights don't bother you for a plinker, the Wrangler should be a decent buy. I have never shot one, nor even held one in my hands though.

Bearcats are cute, spendy, and would make a great trail gun.

The New Model Single Six is in my opinion, more gun than needed for a .22. I think they are best in the .32 H&R.

If you really want a single action .22 for plinking, the Colt New Frontier was about right size wise. It is just enough smaller than the Ruger Single Six that it is noticeable. But it is spendy, if you can find one these days.

Robert

I have a single six that I use on the trap line for many years and happy with it , it is one that came with the mag cylinder. If I do not want to load it all the 6 rounds just turn the cylinder 4 clicks and then put a round in and then when pull the hammer back and then I get the one shot I wanted . I like rugers also . I have there BH and SP 101 in 357 mag and 327 mag.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Well here goes. About 6 or 7 years ago I was looking for a single action 22 revolver with the intention of teaching my granddaughters to shoot and general plinking. Had my eye on A Ruger convertible six. Everyplace I looked local they were going for $600+. The Wrangler hadn’t come out yet. I wound up picking up a heritage arms single action 22 with the interchangeable 22 mag cylinder for $110 bucks on a Black Friday special. ( Believe it or not it was at Dick’s before they went woke). It’s more than adequate for what I use it for but had the Wrangler been available, hands down I would’ve bought the Wrangler! Even though there’s no option for 22 mag with the Wrangler. If all you’re looking for is a single action revolver to shoot 22 long rifle at a really good price point I would go with the Wrangler. If the option of being able to shoot 22 mag appeals to you take a look at the Heritage homes it’s not a Ruger but mines never given me a lick of problems. I don’t know what they go for now but if The darn thing falls apart oh well I’m out 100 bucks.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Being very familiar with all of them and in the end it really falls to your needs and wants. My Wrangler was close and needed a file and bend but she hits now, the .011" barrel to cylinder creates much disgust but am going to fix. The 22/45's have a lot going for them in terms of capacity, ease of loading, a world of aftermarket, and the options of one purchased with expandable sighting choices (red dots) and screwing something on front end. The old classics are very cool and have a niche but they are not cheap. A Romeo 5 and a can with ten round mags in a MK something creates a smirking situation minimally!

Boolit Master
    I too have a long history of familiarity with the Rugers mentioned.
    The Wrangler,, in-expensive & fun to enjoy. Around $200.
    The Single-Six, a cut above for sure & will outlive you. Around $400.
    The Bearcat,, while enjoyable,, it was designed as a "pocket" gun for fishermen & other woods bumming. Around $450
    The SP-101, an excellent DA handgun,, but pricey in general. Around $450-$500
    The GP-100, another excellent gun,, but many feel too heavy. Around $500.
    And lastly,, the MK series of semi-autos. For the money,,the best buy. Very accurate in general,, and LOTS of options for any upgrades or modifications you may desire. Getting one of the 22/45's will be a good companion to the 1911 you are getting. Depending upon the model & such,, you can get one for $300 to $500. Most of us Ruger fans prefer the MKII series or the MKIV series. This gun is the anchor for the company.
    BTW; My experience comes from actually using all of these guns extensively. My daily gun is a MKII Competition Target model.
    But if I were to select a revolver,, I'd opt for the Single-Six with adjustable sights.

Boolit Bub
    So I at present have 5 single action 22 long rifle revolvers an H&R I've had for close to 35 years ,. 3 Heritage in different sizes and a Wrangler.
    Personally I think the Wrangler is a more comfortable handling revolver than the others.
    My Wife and Grandchildren prefer the Wrangler also and it's the only one that isn't a 22 mag.converatable.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    A lot depends on your budget as it does for many of us.

I do not own one but have handled a wrangler and the feedback on them has been good. I'm condidering buying one for my grandson as a gift.

The single six IMO is a step up in both quality and price. On gun broker they are running $350-$500 used in good condition (completed sales). I bought a pristine 4 5/8" convertible for my wife about two months ago off of GB for $505. We are both very happy with it.

I have a S&W M&P 22 compact (semi-auto) that I use as an understudy to my 9mm shield. Light, accurate and reliable. While I enjoy shooting it I enjoy shooting my wifes single six or my K22 more.
    All that is neccessary for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing.

Edmund Burke

I have a Wrangler & a MKII (it's a 5.25 heavy taper model that is scarce) . I would not want to part with either one. If push came to shove, I'd reluctantly let the Wrangler go.

Boolit Master

The 4.2" SP-101 would be my instant "go to" even at full pop.

Smaller grip to teach those with smaller hands.

DA trigger to teach not only combat revolvery, but also to really help cement the lessons of maintaining sight alignment during trigger press.

Built like a tank, but smooths up VERY nicely with use.

It's basically the modern equivalent of the S&W 63 - a truly great thing to have around.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    The 4.2" SP-101 would be my instant "go to" even at full pop.

Smaller grip to teach those with smaller hands.

DA trigger to teach not only combat revolvery, but also to really help cement the lessons of maintaining sight alignment during trigger press.

Built like a tank, but smooths up VERY nicely with use.

It's basically the modern equivalent of the S&W 63 - a truly great thing to have around.
    This. If you're wanting a Ruger, buy this:
    https://ruger.com/products/sp101/specSheets/5765.html

I have a S&W 63 with the 3" barrel and adjustable sights and it's a wonderful pistol, I would prefer to shoot it over my wife's MKIII Hunter.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Master
    Lots of great choices....

Two I would not go for are the DA GP100/SP101 .22s...trigger pulls are less than desirable and are built like bricks. The LCRX 3" is a nice little plinkier but again the DA pull is very hard for kids and women...

Shot a friend's Birdshead Wrangler and it was a nicely balanced gun...have handled but never shot any of the 4 5/8" models...

And another vote for the MKIII or MKIV 22/45 LITE. Have had one of the MKIIs with the fluted shroud and it has been excellent. I like the looks of it over the MKIV but some people just love that the MKIV is easier to clean.

My choice would be one of the 22/45s....Bob

Boolit Master
    I like my Wrangler but also have had a MKII Gov’t Target for over 20 years now. I shoot the Wrangler more currently but I’ve put cases of ammo through that MKII and that MKII has taught tons of people how to shoot a handgun
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Master
    Bearcat all the way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast