WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So looking at Ruger .22 revolvers suggestions?

Lots of good feedback! While the GP is not really in the running for a .22 plinker with an msrp of close to $1000 it is one I highly regard in 357 mag.

Good tip on taking some feeler gauges to check barrel to cylinder. Knowing what to look for or look out for can really help with getting a good deal and not just a good price.

The bearcat seems to me offers the adjustable sights, is still affordable at around 2x the price of the wrangler price is competitive with the MK IV or others in that series.

Good point about the Mk accepting sights that are a better fit for mature vision. Price wise not bad and it sounds like good value for that price.

I had not considered the .22 LR only vs. the 22 mag and 22 LR cylinders. Any suggestions on those might be of interest. Not sure why I didn't think of it but a 22 mag option could be nice.

I would say I should buy them all, yeah! But I do not want to have a collection of seldom used firearms. One Queen in the house, none in the safe. Although I'm really thinking if I get the revolver one of these years I will talk myself into a Mark IV or related semi auto in .22 Or as a couple of people pointed out see a discount brand one and latch onto that for one of the few cheap thrills I'm still allowed to indulge in these days.

I'm not really sure why I put this off so long. Seems like there was always something else more pressing to spend money on. I guess I finally figured out amortized over a few years the cost per year or range trip to have some fun is pretty low. And yes I still have Y2K ammo. Marlin Papoose was my usual camp gun in .22 and because that round is a most excellent survival hunting round it had ammo stocked up on going toward Y2K not massive amounts but way more than I have shot since then.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    I was in a similar predicament. Had plenty of 22 LR ammo, accumulated over the years. Was wanting a DA revolver, as a change of pace, from my Mark II Target. However, couldn't justify that kind of money for a 22 revolver, that one could get in a centerfire chambering. The least expensive was the LCRx but still expensive for a 22, even though I love my 357 LCR.

The new Mark IV's just hit the market, and were almost half the cost of a revolver. Getting good service from the Mark II, I opted for the Mark IV 22/45 Lite. Several months later, I purchased the newly released LCP II for the money I saved by not purchasing a revolver.

I considered the Wrangler line, even though I'm not a SA revolver fan. However, several things I didn't like about it..... fixed sights, slow to load and unload, and only six round capacity. I believe Ruger should have went with the modern nine round cylinder. YMMV.

Winelover

My impression of the SP101-my Dad had one that I shot a few times.

The SP101 in 22LR is a good reliable, heavy, EXPENSIVE, hard to shoot accurately revolver—even after a Wilson Combat spring kit is installed. If your hands are average size or larger or suffer from Arthritis, the small grips make it difficult to shoot accurately. Even in Single Action mode, the standard grips are still too small.

For the bang/$, almost anything is a better choice than the SP101…..In my opinion, of course. Others may have had better experiences.

If you're hands are large, look at the Browning Buckmark. I've had two Mark II's and they never felt right to me. You can also put optics on a Buckmark.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Master
    I looked at the Heritage, but the safety decided me against it. Got a Wrangler - trigger pull was as they say in the gun magazines "moderately heavy" at @5 pounds. Did a poor man's trigger job on it - down to @ 3 1/2 pounds now. Tested a slew of different 22 rounds (I don't reload 22LR), and found the CCI target - standard velocity was the most accurate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wrangler ammo test.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	303177
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master

I’m not happy with most 22lr offers these days, especially the ones from Ruger. If I was to get a 22lr pistol, it would be a TX22 from Taurus. Nothing else in the price range, or even double, matches it. So guess I’m of no help, but much luck in your search. Production quality across the board is horrible these days.

Lefty
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post
    I’m not happy with most 22lr offers these days, especially the ones from Ruger. If I was to get a 22lr pistol, it would be a TX22 from Taurus. Nothing else in the price range, or even double, matches it. So guess I’m of no help, but much luck in your search. Production quality across the board is horrible these days.

Lefty
    I just picked up a Kel-Tec P17 for $200, and I'm pretty happy with it. Light, accurate, easy to conceal, suppressor-ready, and 16+1. I had some problems out of the box because it was early production and needed a new-revision part, but once that happened it has been literally 100% no matter what I feed it.

I still prefer a revolver, but if the P17 was my only pistol I would feel equipped for most situations.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

I couldn't resist another Wrangler since my daughters have claimed the first three I bought. Casual one handed plinking with .22 CBs in the yard is fun.
    I had to upgrade the grips, of course.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I like Ruger firearms, but would it be heresy to suggest looking into a .22 LR revolver made by Taurus or Rossi? They're usually built on a frame that is a very close match to a S&W K-frame revolver (so very acceptable ergonomics) generally come with adjustable sights, and are currently going for about 1/2 what the SP-101 .22 LRs cost. The double-actions tend to have better single-action trigger pulls than the single-action only revolvers, and both trigger pulls can be improved for not a lot of money.
    Just a thought.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Grand Master
    My Wrangler experience is similar to Outpost’s and I selected mine by squinting at the B/C gaps amongst four and choosing. Hits a little low at short ranges but on at 25 for whatever reason. Good general purpose, trapline and plinking 22. Zero regrets.

Accuracy potential is very adequate for its purpose and is good enough for me to realize the piece is verging on very accurate or even better than that with my ability to resolve the sights the main reason for any limitation.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am not a big lover of SA .22's. I have the Ruger with both cylinders. Nice gun but slow to reload and I shoot the semi-autos better.

Roger, IIRC there was a post not long ago (by dtknowles IIRC?) about .22 Mag in a pistol and found it was not that great. The powder used burns too slowly in the short barrel to give much of a boost over HV LR ammunition.

I have been thinking of selling my Ruger revolver as I have not shot it in over 10 years. Just can't see ever needing it. But if you are looking at a revolver, the Wrangler seems like a good choice.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    I like Ruger firearms, but would it be heresy to suggest looking into a .22 LR revolver made by Taurus or Rossi? They're usually built on a frame that is a very close match to a S&W K-frame revolver (so very acceptable ergonomics) generally come with adjustable sights, and are currently going for about 1/2 what the SP-101 .22 LRs cost. The double-actions tend to have better single-action trigger pulls than the single-action only revolvers, and both trigger pulls can be improved for not a lot of money.
    Just a thought.
    Taurus has really stepped up their game in the past few years, I absolutely love my 856 and G3c. The old 9 shot Taurus .22's had alot of problems but I bet the new 8 shot versions are good to go. They simply don't exist around here, even at places that carry everything else from Taurus. I'm interested in the Charter Arms Pathfinder Target. Eight shots, adjustable sights, costs about half as much as an SP-101. My two Charter .38's are excellent.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post

Lefty
    I had a Glock 44 for awhile. Mine was 100% reliable with decent ammo, mostly reliable with cheap stuff, and fairly accurate. I ended up selling it because in the end it is a Glock 19 size pistol and I can shoot my 19 with reloads for the same price or less as quality .22 ammo. So, it just seemed kind of pointless overall. Bought a Bersa Thunder .22 the other day and it seems promising so far.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I am Ruger Single Six’s poor! Have 2 22lr/ mag convertibles ,a 32 mag and have one out visiting JRH and will soon return as 10mm auto 5 shot. All have the Bisley grip frames because they fit my hand best. So if you want get get ahold of me and we will go shooting!

The Bearcat is a great. Shot one for many years and then gave it to my Grandson. Convertibles, at least in my Old Colt bought a long time ago, have rifle dimensions for the 22 mag bullets and shooting 22Lr in there gave poor accuracy..

Quote Originally Posted by clintsfolly View Post
    I am Ruger Single Six’s poor! Have 2 22lr/ mag convertibles ,a 32 mag and have one out visiting JRH and will soon return as 10mm auto 5 shot. All have the Bisley grip frames because they fit my hand best. So if you want get get ahold of me and we will go shooting!
    Nice to hear from you! I haven't seen you since that group of us met up for the Mason gun show. Been a bit for sure. I'm sort of laid up right now with a bum left leg but will shoot you a PM and see if we can't make some holes in paper together.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

I think except for the Wrangler it will depend on what I can find used. Wrangler is inexpensive enough new that used doesn't save that much. The single six has the opposite problem with the same effect. Popular enough that used is almost as much as new.

The suggestions for Taurus seems a viable way to broaden my potential sources so I would consider one if found.

Both the 22 "six gun" style from Ruger as well as the Mark series are ones I grew up coveting so they have sort of top of the list residency. The single six is great but really likely to be outside what I want to spend on something just for plinking and fun. In the Mark series the the MK 4 is a significant improvement in design but as far as shooting go they all seem the same. Bull barrel is too heavy for family use but otherwise they all work.

Too true that one can cast and reload 9mm or maybe even 38 special for the cost of .22 ammo these days. However that means I can buy store bought in 22 for what I make my own for and that isn't bad. Cans and paper can't tell the difference in hole size.

Had a chance to hold and examine a buckmark and it is a very nice pistol. Should be on mine and anyone's short list for 22 pistols. I would say it is a good example of this discussion opening up my options for what I might find that will be suitable.

While I think SA/DA is preferred I do have SA only and don't find that a problem, in some ways practice for SA with a six gun is useful. The advantage to having DA is practice for trigger control is useful too.

I did have a chance to look at a Ruger American in 9mm and I will say it comes close to diverting me from my chosen path. Very nice, easily improved with a little work, felt good in hand. Already have 9mm molds and dies for family.... One of these days I will have to go to the dark side where plastic and bottom feeding reign since all the cool kids seem to have one.

Boolit Grand Master

I Love my Wrangler ... it's the best $199 Sixgun I ever bought . It's just a fun plinking gun and I like the SA Cowboy aspect ... it's a Hoot To Shoot .
    I have 4 other 22's with target adjustable sights for shooting for money or scores ... but this little old west shooter is a pleasure .
    My only complaint was a "stiff" loading gate ... a grease job pretty much fixed it but I believe a redesigned spring is now available to fix that . Shoots just fine and everything is smooth and indexs like a swiss watch ... well maybe a Timex watch but you get the drift !
    When I bought it for $199 the single six next to it was marked $599 ...
    I went Wrangler ... No Regrets !
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 08-19-2022 at 02:19 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy

I wanted a wrangler they look great and decent price.....I guess they are not for sale here in the great state of MN , from what I understand we still have a Saturday night special law.
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Boolit Grand Master
    They kinda lost their way when they thought that criteria applies meaningfully to a Wrangler. Sorry to hear that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast