Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .44-40 loads won't chamber

Boolit Bub

.44-40 loads won't chamber

So I've started loading .44-40 with the once-fired magtech brass, bullets from a Lee 429-200-RF 6 cavity mould and using a set of RCBS cowboy .44-40 dies.

I found that once the brass has been run through the dies the outside neck diameter is almost identical to the bullet diameter (.429/.430) so it requires an extremely heavy flare to get the bullet started and once seated it expands the case to the point where the rounds won't chamber. I have used the crimp built into the bullet seating die but even with the maximum crimp it still won't chamber. I've tried them in a few rifles so it's not a problem with the rifles. I measured the neck of some factory rounds and they are about .440 whilst mine are .445 but given the bullets come out exactly .429 I'm not sure where I've gone wrong. Does anyone have any advice?

I have included some pictures comparing my rounds to a factory one from magtech.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b917187f-e2da-4e8d-86b1-e80aff427d44.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	303079
    My round on the left, magtech factory on the right

Name:	6d34d1db-bc20-45f4-bf40-c7d904ac88a4.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	303080Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f8c15182-9949-43c0-9eea-0d712fe7882e.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	303081
    Factory round and empty case chambering fine

Name:	930fdb09-c3ca-41b5-bf18-aaf2216929c9.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	303082
    My round not chambering

Boolit Master
    get out a sharpie/vivid/felt tip pen......scribble all over your non chambering round,wait till vivid dries. chamber it,and leave on ejector,move it back n forward a wee bit 1/8th inch??? a few times and eject and have a squizz/look... there will be vivid rubbed off where the round it touching...this will tell you something,give you more to work with.your boolits arent too fat perchance???

Boolit Bub
    Ok I can try that. I ran them through a .429 sizer so don't think they're too fat.

Boolit Master
    You may need to set them deaper in case the ojive is keeping them from chambering try the black marker as see where they are hitting the rifleing in chamber ??

Boolit Master
    Well-- I use 44 mag brass in my 44-40, which creates exactly the same problem (but worse). I run my loaded rounds back thorough the 44-40 sizing die (with a little lube and the decapping stem removed). This sizes the brass down without sizing the part of the bullet sticking out of the case. sounds strange but works like a charm.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    Well-- I use 44 mag brass in my 44-40, which creates exactly the same problem (but worse). I run my loaded rounds back thorough the 44-40 sizing die (with a little lube and the decapping stem removed). This sizes the brass down without sizing the part of the bullet sticking out of the case. sounds strange but works like a charm.
    I've done that on other CB rounds (other calibers) before also and it works well for me.

Boolit Master

Magtech brass is the thickest brass out there, along with CBC. You'd be better off with Starline or Winchester brass, much thinner.
    Running your loaded cartridge through a sizing die will size the brass back down but it will also size down the bullet in the case, maybe making it small enough to not work properly. Kinda likew running a a .427 bullet through a gun that needs .429

38-40 and 44-40 actual chamber dimensions vary a whole lot between old an new guns and old and new gun makers. Shoulder locations will vary too between guns. My first thought is do you have an expander in your sizer die? Second thought would be get a lee .427 push through bullet sizer die to slim down your boolits.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Get a Redding Profile Crimp die for .44-40 and then seat bullets to OAL and crimp separately. The Redding die gives a more consistent result than the Lee factory crimp die. I have a bunch of new and old .44-40 rifles and revolvers and the Redding die permits the same ammo loaded with .430 bullets to be used in all.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    Magtech brass is the thickest brass out there, along with CBC. You'd be better off with Starline or Winchester brass, much thinner.
    Running your loaded cartridge through a sizing die will size the brass back down but it will also size down the bullet in the case, maybe making it small enough to not work properly. Kinda likew running a a .427 bullet through a gun that needs .429
    Making the portion of the bullet inside the case smaller does not reduce the diameter of the portion in front of the case. It simply makes it into a bullet with two different sections-- very much like a bore rider. I use 0.429 bullets and the nose stays at 0.429-- no problem at all. This is no different than a standard 22 cal bullet, or old 38 caliber bullets.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master

What kind of military rifle is chambered for 44-40? I need to start looking for one, if they are affordable.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master

Win 1873 /44-40 musket comes to mind

Boolit Master
    Henry repeater is another. Do you need a .429 bullet that can also be a issue.

Listen to Outpost 75.
    Cognitive Dissident

Vendor Sponsor

You definitely do NOT want to size to .427" this will create other problems like leading, keyholing, etc. I have honed a BUNCH of 44-40 cylinders to .4305" for use with .430" boolits, almost one and all has a .445" neck so your brass is really thick there where it matters.

Try some different brass, Starline for one has .011" neck thickness so adding two thicknesses of case mouth = .022" subtract from .445" = .433" so a .430" should fit and chamber quite easily unless the neck in your rifle chamber is fouled.

Regardless of what the groove diameter in the barrel is, size to fit the throat and you will have good results. With different brass, you may even be able to use a .431" boolit.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

The 1866 musket is 44-40. This is a uberti that they make but you have to special order it. I also have a ‘73 winchester musket from 1891. Cool rifles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 99CF104A-97D8-45FE-AC4E-ACB3714584A2.jpg  
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 08-12-2022 at 09:38 AM.

Boolit Master
    Just for grins and giggles, try a .429 bullet in a fired case before resizing - similar to what is done on some BP rounds. Brass has a bit of springback to it and some brands have more than others, so you might be able to seat bullets without resizing - just decap and reload. Less cold work is also better if you can get away with it.

You may have to crimp into a bullet groove to keep the slugs from pushing back in the magazine but maybe not - worth an experiment.

Boolit Bub
    Hi everyone and thanks for the advice. I had actually tried running the case with bullet in partially through the FL sizer but I thought it was a bad idea so was hesitant. I'm glad that wasn't just me who thought of that.

I'm going to looking into the redding profile crimp as that seems like a good choice. I'll also get some starline brass when I can.

Beautiful 1866 musket too I didn't know Uberti made them.

Proper bullet diameter, at least in the old ones, was .427. Don’t know if that could be your problem.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

.427" is the correct bullet diameter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast