Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: brakes

Boolit Master

brakes

any way for one guy to bleed brakes

Boolit Buddy
    Sure, why not; hook up vacuum pump and you should be good. Something like this

Speed Bleeders are good things. Vacuum pump works too.

Boolit Master

You can actually just gravity bleed them. Make sur the master cylinder is full, open one bleeder and watch for clear fluid without any bubbles to flow from the bleeder. Make sure the master does not get low on fluid. Do this for each bleeder and try the pedal. If it feels a little soft repeat the process. This method takes time and patience, but it does work.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, and you don't even need fancy stuff. I never could understand why people always did the two person pump-hold-bleed method.

Just take a hose that fits your bleeder nipple. Put a loop in in using a zip tie. Attach the hose to the bleeder, and make sure the top of the loop is above the bleeder, another zip tie can help. Run the other end of the hose into a catch bottle. Crack open the bleeder, and pump. It's that easy, and it works better than the two person method.

Boolit Master
    Just don't run the antilock brake assy dry or you will need a Scanner to bleed that. Those go back quite a few years now.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Buddy

If you do this often, these are well worth the money:

https://www.motiveproducts.com/colle...c-bleeder-kits
    Running the ridges and riding the rivers of the Southwest Virginia Appalachians

Boolit Buddy
    Go see your pharmacist; ask for a 30cc irrigation syringe. They have a tapered plastic tip that fits several sizes of tygon tubing. Figure out the tubing size that fits your bleeders. make a wire hanger for the syringe, remove the plunger. connect to the bleeder, and hang it on some part of the suspension.Fill the syringe with brake fluid, and crack the bleeder. Gently pump the brake pedal. bubbles come up through the syringe, and fluid goes back into the system. Save the plunger, put it back into the barrel of the syringe to keep it clean when you are finished.
    Newer cars are metric, often 10 mm. You will most likely need a bleeder wrench, too.

Boolit Mold
    1/4” ID clear hose from hardware store. Empty clear soda bottle.
    Remove master cylinder cap & insure it’s full. Push hose on the farthest bleeder from the master cylinder (usually right rear). Crack open bleeder & observe fluid flowing thru tubing. Be patient. Check master cylinder fluid level often. When satisfied no more bubbles, close bleeder & move to RR, then RF, last LF.
    Note: may be best to check all bleeders FIRST to insure they’re not rusted fast.

Boolit Master
    You can purchas a bleader at horbor freght there are cheep easy to do by your self

Boolit Master
    Just grab any of us with Old Man Skin, you'll have your bleeder. Probably been around long enough to know brakes too.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    Just grab any of us with Old Man Skin, you'll have your bleeder. Probably been around long enough to know brakes too.
    That's the truth right there.

Boolit Buddy
    Gravity is your friend. I have bleed many by just opening the bleeder and let the brake fluid run.

Boolit Grand Master

While I'm sure gravity bleeding can work, how long would it take? 30 minutes per wheel? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    While I'm sure gravity bleeding can work, how long would it take? 30 minutes per wheel? Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Well you did ask how to bleed them by yourself. I have also used a siphon sprayer to suck the brake fluid out of the bleeder. Just stick the hose part on the bleeder and hit the sprayer with a little air. Be careful not to blow brake fluid all over.

Boolit Buddy
    LOTS of YouTube videos on this topic, search for "ChrisFix"(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1NvtUwfRJc)
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    When bleeding small aircraft brakes, we would pump the break fluid in through the bleeder valve up to the master cylinders. There were one for each wheel. They were always higher than the wheels and it was easy to get all of the air out. I have always wondered if it would work on cars and trucks. I haven’t needed to bleed any brakes since then to try it.

I used to do all my own repairs, too lazy or too old anymore, take your pick.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    When bleeding small aircraft brakes, we would pump the break fluid in through the bleeder valve up to the master cylinders. There were one for each wheel. They were always higher than the wheels and it was easy to get all of the air out. I have always wondered if it would work on cars and trucks. I haven’t needed to bleed any brakes since then to try it.
    It would definitely work, but it isn't something you want to do. I'm surprised you are allowed to do it on aircraft. If you are working on a car or truck, you are certainly working on a used brake system. The systems build up little bits of dirt and rubber inside, and worst of all your brake fluid is hydroscopic. DOT 3/4 brake fluid is only good for a couple of years. Despite that, there are people who run it until something fails. Getting that old fluid out is almost more important than getting the air out. In the racing world, a lot of people bleed brakes with fresh fluid every single race. I'm guessing airplanes don't get their brakes hammered on nearly as much, so maybe they can run a different kind of fluid that handles different conditions. Do they use DOT 5?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I'm guessing if he asked this question, he is not in a shop working flat rate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast