MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners

Thread: Remington 521T "Sporter" project

Remington 521T "Sporter" project

I've always appreciated the early 500 series of Remington bolt action guns. My first was a 521T in '59 (maybe '60). Unfortunately I traded it off (funds were tight then). I never saw a 513S except in photos & thought they were the ultimate.

In the late '70's (maybe early '80's) I found a "Frankenstein" 521T @ a rural gun shop. It had a 513T stock (warped) and a S331 rear sight marked "Crossman". Mossberg used the S331 sight on some of their bolt guns: they were marked "Mossberg". Those S331 sights were all mounted with 10-32 screws. The prior owner (or somebody) had "adjusted" one of the original 6-48 mounting holes to 10-32 & drilled another (crookedly) & tapped it for the other 10-32 mounting hole. Fortunately, the original rear 6-48 hole was unmolested. At $35.00 it was a bargain.

I sold that warped 513T stock on Gun List (remember them?) for $25.00 (the hardware was good). I detail stripped that gun, did a little polishing & stored everything except the bbl in a tin box.

A few years later I ordered a 511 stock blank & replica butt plate from Silver Hill Gunstocks in NC. I believe they are what is currently Gunville (336-230-6686). Later I was able to find a Lyman 57 (jrs?) sight. All of this sat in a corner of a closet for at least 30-35 years.

This year I plugged the 10-32 holes & redrilled one to 6-48 & started work on that stock blank. Work was slow as my eyesight is fading & I have nerve damage in my right hand. With the help of forum members, I also learned something about the slow rust blue process.

I all came together yesterday & I'll sight it in tomorrow morning before the temperature gets too high.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-009F.JPG   MVC-010F.JPG   MVC-011F.JPG   MVC-012F.JPG  
    Last edited by oldhenry; 08-10-2022 at 04:06 PM.

nice hobby - done several myself over the years - no pristine collectibles were used in my projects - modified stock - cut + crowned barrel at 16 1/4" - homemade scope mounts -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    nice hobby - done several myself over the years - no pristine collectibles were used in my projects - modified stock - cut + crowned barrel at 16 1/4" - homemade scope mounts -
    Nice conversion & use of the OEM stock.

thank you - the 521's were the lowest production of the Remington 5 series - some of mine are more accurate then my 513's - let us know how it shoots - for best accuracy make sure that end of fore end puts upward tension on barrel - currently 521 original stocks+ 57rs sights are selling for more then i paid for complete rifles when i started accumulating them -
    Last edited by schutzen-jager; 08-11-2022 at 07:10 AM. Reason: addendum
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Cast Boolits Owner

Beautiful work!
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -