MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recipes for One

Boolit Master
    i have my sourdough starter i brought back when i move back from Alaska, documented back to the 1800 Alaskan gold rush.. just made some today. two loves. one in the freezer, other has a few slices out already. i have found no other that taste better... have a meat and beans dish that is always a big hit a hunting camp if there is an interest ?? guaranteed to fill you up and last .. it is a big batch, but freezes well..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SciFiJim View Post
    I would like to start a thread of recipes for one person. A lot of us are empty nesters and some of us are widowed or divorced, so we usually only cook for ourselves. I will start the show with a Pancakes for One and Biscuits for One recipes. Please add any other recipes for one to the thread.

Pancakes for One

Ingredients
    1 cup all purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    ½ tablespoon sugar
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    1 large egg
    ¾ cup milk
    ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 tablespoon salted butter , melted (I use canola oil for ease of use)
    1 teaspoon salted butter for the pan (I use cooking spray)

Instructions
    In a large bowl (it not that much, I use a cereal bowl) , whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
    In another bowl, beat the egg and then whisk in the milk, vanilla and melted butter.
    Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated. If the batter seems too thick, add more of the milk, a little at a time.
    Melt the butter in a large skillet or griddle over medium heat.
    Ladle about ¾ cup of the batter onto the skillet to make a pancake.
    Cook until bubbles break the surface of the pancake, and the underside is golden brown, about 3 minutes.
    Flip with a spatula and cook about 1 minute more on the second side. Remove from the pan and place on a plate.
    Repeat until all the batter is used up.
    Serve with your favorite toppings: butter, syrup, fruit or any other topping you desire.

Biscuits for One

Ingredients

1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon sugar
    ½ teaspoon salt
    3 tablespoons salted butter , cold, cut into ¼-inch pieces (I use half butter/half cold bacon grease)
    ½ cup milk

Instructions
    Heat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
    In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
    Toss butter into the dry ingredients. Working quickly using your fingers or a pastry blender, rub or cut butter into flour until it resembles coarse sand.
    Add the milk and stir just until the dough comes together.
    Using a large spoon, drop spoonfuls of the batter onto baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 10-12 minutes.
    (I divide the dough in the bowl into four equalish parts, roll each part between my palms to make a ball and then flatten out to make a biscuit sized biscuit before placing them in a pie tin to bake)
    box greater, grate frozen butter into your flour

Won't get into recipes besides boiling a box of Perogies topped with butter. To keep those pancakes hot, I microwave a heavy plate and keep ready with a cast iron, pan cover that get put right on a flame. Just don't mess up by touching the hot lid when adding your pancakes to the dish.

Moderator Emeritus

A good one is stir fry. Get a cheap carbon steel wok and season it like a cast iron pan. Slice meat of choice into bite size strips/chunks and marinate in soy sauce, a little oil, a little rice wine vinegar, optionally add onion, garlic, sesame oil etc etc etc... Heat the wok to the smoke point, add a little oil and stir fry the meat. Remove and set aside. Add veg(can buy bags of frozen stir fry veg) to the pan and stir fry to desired level of crisp/tender, add the meat back and either use a commercial stir fry sauce or just some stock you thicken with a little corn starch slurry. Serve over rice or alongside fried rice. VERY easy meal and can be made for 1!

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Sometimes when cooking for one, store bought does the trick. I liked the Krusteaz pancake mix. Other things are definitely better made fresh. Didn't mean to hijack or anything just offering an alternative. I am learning to make bread. Tried a few recipes and am still learning as not quite there yet. Figure something that basic would be easy but not for me.
    When I got out of the army at the tender age of 23, I decided to learn how to cook for myself. I started with baking bread. When I took some to work, my co-workers asked how long I kneaded the dough. I told them, "Two songs on the radio." I taught my granddaughter how to bake bread, and we made bagels while on vacation last year.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post
    When I got out of the army at the tender age of 23, I decided to learn how to cook for myself. I started with baking bread. When I took some to work, my co-workers asked how long I kneaded the dough. I told them, "Two songs on the radio." I taught my granddaughter how to bake bread, and we made bagels while on vacation last year.

Wayne
    I am learning and getting better each time. This last loaf was the best yet and was pretty good. My biggest issue at first, was the proofing of the yeast. Never knew some brands require you to follow their method (Fleischmann active) for the best results vs the cup of water (they use 1/4 cup), etc. Very interesting that my chickens do not care for store bought bread but devour my homemade. Must be all the preservatives.

Boolit Master
    One of my favorites…
    About 3/4 cup cooked rice. Any will do, I like Mexican.
    2 eggs.
    Oil
    Salt and pepper

Fry the eggs in a bit of butter or oil of your choice till they are just starting to set up. Add the rice and scramble till cooked to your liking. Salt and pepper to taste.

Wrap it up in a flour tortilla for a to go meal.

Boolit Master

I've been cooking and baking for at least 40 years. I just learned a new trick a few weeks ago.

You can freeze homemade biscuits BEFORE baking. Make up a batch of scratch biscuits, cut them and arrange separately on a pan that will fit in your freezer. After they are frozen, put them in a zip top bag to save space.

When you want fresh baked biscuits, take as many as you want from the bag, put them on the cooking sheet, place it in a cold oven and turn it on to 400 degrees. 20 minutes later you have fresh biscuits.

This has revolutionized my biscuit making. I make up a double batch for freezing and then only bake what I need.

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

Quote Originally Posted by SciFiJim View Post
    I've been cooking and baking for at least 40 years. I just learned a new trick a few weeks ago.

You can freeze homemade biscuits BEFORE baking. Make up a batch of scratch biscuits, cut them and arrange separately on a pan that will fit in your freezer. After they are frozen, put them in a zip top bag to save space.

When you want fresh baked biscuits, take as many as you want from the bag, put them on the cooking sheet, place it in a cold oven and turn it on to 400 degrees. 20 minutes later you have fresh biscuits.

This has revolutionized my biscuit making. I make up a double batch for freezing and then only bake what I need.
    Good idea I live alone and kept putting off to make some . Now you give me a good way of doing it , thanks .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    In the USA Idahoan brand instant mashed are my go to
    Yeah. They got it figured out. They are the only potatoes we buy for us to eat that aren't raw.
    The other brands are now days just for a main ingredient for carp bait.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I like to make salmon patties. One can, one or two eggs and half a sleeve of saltines and I get 4 patties for two meals. I like them with green beans.

Quote Originally Posted by alfadan View Post
    I like to make salmon patties.
    After retiring, I have plenty of time now to do fancy cooking, and don't have to 'eat & run' much anymore.

We have plenty of carp in the lakes & rivers here. They're fairly easy to catch if you're patient.
    They don't yield as much as say,, a catfish, so you need to keep the 7-10 pound ones.

I fillet them out, cut off anything that isn't white, and end up down to their other set of 'Y' bones that are like steel needles.
    Refrigerate & Soak in salt water over night then run them in the pressure cooker for 90 minutes.
    The 'Y' bones become soft like the bones in canned sardines.
    They freeze well, and are good for making patties- you can't tell the difference between them and canned salmon.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Canned venison, canned meat, a pint or quart, add a little corn starch or flour to juice, heat and thicken, great over mashed potatoes, real or instant.
    I will put one or more chicken breasts in a small crock pot and pour a bottle of Italian Salid dressing over and cook for a while.

Boolit Grand Master

I do chicken breasts in cambells cream of chicken soup. Pout a little soup in the bottom of bowl and then the chicken beast, season to taste and rest of the soup on top. Bake till breast is done. use the soup for gravy over potatoes or noodles.

I have never been able to make bean soup for 1 with out eating it for most of the week. What I may try is cooking down the ham hocks and freezing the broth and meat in portions then I can soak a 1/2-1/3 cup of beans and add to the broth.

On Soups Stews and such try instant potatoes for a thickener in place of flour or starch.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    Being single (wife passed on a couple of years ago), this is the reason that I don't think I'll ever go elk hunting. Did the math. If I ate a whole pound of meat every single day it would take me two years to finish it. Elk sausage, elk stew, elk casserole, elk waffles, elk loaf, elk shake, etc.

To add something to the OP's recipes: when I make pancakes I use olive oil instead of regular vegetable oil. It makes them light and fluffy and they taste like cake.
    John Steinbeck got to the point where he wouldn't shoot anything that wouldn't fit in a frying pan. I'm getting to be that way. Maybe that's why us old timers hunt squirrels.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jimlj View Post
    One of my favorites…
    About 3/4 cup cooked rice. Any will do, I like Mexican.
    2 eggs.
    Oil
    Salt and pepper

Fry the eggs in a bit of butter or oil of your choice till they are just starting to set up. Add the rice and scramble till cooked to your liking. Salt and pepper to taste.

Wrap it up in a flour tortilla for a to go meal.
    Aldi's sells those pouches of cooked rice that would be good for this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12