Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recipes for One

Boolit Master

Recipes for One

I would like to start a thread of recipes for one person. A lot of us are empty nesters and some of us are widowed or divorced, so we usually only cook for ourselves. I will start the show with a Pancakes for One and Biscuits for One recipes. Please add any other recipes for one to the thread.

Pancakes for One

Ingredients
    1 cup all purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    ½ tablespoon sugar
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    1 large egg
    ¾ cup milk
    ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 tablespoon salted butter , melted (I use canola oil for ease of use)
    1 teaspoon salted butter for the pan (I use cooking spray)

Instructions
    In a large bowl (it not that much, I use a cereal bowl) , whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
    In another bowl, beat the egg and then whisk in the milk, vanilla and melted butter.
    Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated. If the batter seems too thick, add more of the milk, a little at a time.
    Melt the butter in a large skillet or griddle over medium heat.
    Ladle about ¾ cup of the batter onto the skillet to make a pancake.
    Cook until bubbles break the surface of the pancake, and the underside is golden brown, about 3 minutes.
    Flip with a spatula and cook about 1 minute more on the second side. Remove from the pan and place on a plate.
    Repeat until all the batter is used up.
    Serve with your favorite toppings: butter, syrup, fruit or any other topping you desire.

Biscuits for One

Ingredients

1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon sugar
    ½ teaspoon salt
    3 tablespoons salted butter , cold, cut into ¼-inch pieces (I use half butter/half cold bacon grease)
    ½ cup milk

Instructions
    Heat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
    In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
    Toss butter into the dry ingredients. Working quickly using your fingers or a pastry blender, rub or cut butter into flour until it resembles coarse sand.
    Add the milk and stir just until the dough comes together.
    Using a large spoon, drop spoonfuls of the batter onto baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 10-12 minutes.
    (I divide the dough in the bowl into four equalish parts, roll each part between my palms to make a ball and then flatten out to make a biscuit sized biscuit before placing them in a pie tin to bake)

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Master
    Fortunately, I am still happily married to my wife of 43 years but neither one of us eats much anymore so I make large batches of various items such as chili and gumbo then freeze in serving size containers. There are many sizes of plastic containers you can buy to match your appetite. 5 lbs of chili makes ten or more servings that we can eat from over several months. Another thing I'll do is cook a dozen or more small sausages then freeze them into servings of two links. My wife tends to eat a half link (and sometimes a whole one), while I'm content to simply consume whatever she doesn't want. I applaud single serving recipes but some things don't come together well unless it's cooked in a large amount.

Boolit Master
    If you only cook for one, you would never have leftovers.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    Fortunately, I am still happily married to my wife of 43 years but neither one of us eats much anymore so I make large batches of various items such as chili and gumbo then freeze in serving size containers. There are many sizes of plastic containers you can buy to match your appetite. 5 lbs of chili makes ten or more servings that we can eat from over several months. Another thing I'll do is cook a dozen or more small sausages then freeze them into servings of two links. My wife tends to eat a half link (and sometimes a whole one), while I'm content to simply consume whatever she doesn't want. I applaud single serving recipes but some things don't come together well unless it's cooked in a large amount.
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    If you only cook for one, you would never have leftovers.
    I agree about making and freezing large batches of some items. Some are better the next day any way. What I am looking for are things that are better new made and fresh. Things like fresh bread or a small batch of cookies. I am sure there are other things that I can't think of right now.

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

Moderator Emeritus

Zojurishi 1 pound loaf bread machine is perfect for 1 person. I use up a loaf in 3 days so it doesn't get stale, if I do have to much I make salad croutons I vacuum bag and freeze. They stay fresh up to 6 months in the freezer. No real recipe for the bread... flour, water, salt, yeast... as the machine kneads I add more water or flour as required.

Moderator Emeritus

Sometimes when cooking for one, store bought does the trick. I liked the Krusteaz pancake mix. Other things are definitely better made fresh. Didn't mean to hijack or anything just offering an alternative. I am learning to make bread. Tried a few recipes and am still learning as not quite there yet. Figure something that basic would be easy but not for me.

Moderator Emeritus

I cheat for pancakes, use Bisquick shake n pour... enough for 2 days of pancakes for me.

I often make huge meals and freeze leftovers. Makes for quick easy meals when I am hurting and don't want to stand at the stove cooking. Especially Thanksgiving turkey and stuffing. I put stuffing in a vacuum bag, add enough meat for a meal and vacuum seal it. Drop the bag in simmering water to reheat, pour on a plate, cover with gravy if I feel like making some.

For quick gravies Better than Bullion bases are great stuff. Mix some in water, bring to a simmer, thicken, serve.

Boolit Master
    half handfull of pasta in a pot,few raisins too...few mixed veges,set to boil,fry up meat of choice,sausage or bacon etc.... or if really dislike dishes chuck a couple of savaloys in pot with everything else..pink pasta!!!!
    when cooked serve up,wash out pot and sit upside down on bench,when finished eating rinse plate and cutlery and sit beside pot...ready for tomorrow night..... I did this for years,even with a flatmate we never had more than 2 plates to wash.... this use 3 pots to boil 3 different veges is dumb.... time it right and same pot works great.

Boolit Master
    instant mashed potato flakes have come a long way in my lifetime...the old waitak spuds were ok but had very narrow band of being right or too dry or just slop...the modern versions are really tolerant and are perfect for thickening a casserole too.
    beauty of the dehy spuds is you can do a small quantity for one person wwithout having to peel spuds and wait for them to cook,then try and mash tiny amount....
    mutton chops in electric frypan......then a couple of eggs cooked in same,mashed spuds on plate,the eggs in the hollow you put in the spuds with serving spoon,chops on side of plate...pure bliss.

This is an odd ball, saw a restaurant owner do this, smelled good, so copied it. Get two oven baking dishes, oval ones. Take a fresh bone in, skinless chicken breast, coat it with sweet soy sauce, put bone down in one dish, salt and pepper to taste, cover with the second dish, put in microwave for 3-4 minutes, depending on the power, on high. Serve with a cup of minute rice and a small salad. Makes a light tasty quick dish. You can use the juice over the rice or add a pad of butter to add to make a sauce.
    That upper dish gets live steam hot or should, so careful
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Being single (wife passed on a couple of years ago), this is the reason that I don't think I'll ever go elk hunting. Did the math. If I ate a whole pound of meat every single day it would take me two years to finish it. Elk sausage, elk stew, elk casserole, elk waffles, elk loaf, elk shake, etc.

To add something to the OP's recipes: when I make pancakes I use olive oil instead of regular vegetable oil. It makes them light and fluffy and they taste like cake.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    Being single (wife passed on a couple of years ago), this is the reason that I don't think I'll ever go elk hunting. Did the math. If I ate a whole pound of meat every single day it would take me two years to finish it. Elk sausage, elk stew, elk casserole, elk waffles, elk loaf, elk shake, etc.

To add something to the OP's recipes: when I make pancakes I use olive oil instead of regular vegetable oil. It makes them light and fluffy and they taste like cake.
    thats what hunting buddies are for...help you carry it out,and share in the spoils..... giving away meat to folks with a young family feels GREAT.... venison mince is just so versitile its a great way to give it to people. and yearlings taste great,fawns even better.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Duck View Post
    instant mashed potato flakes have come a long way in my lifetime...the old waitak spuds were ok but had very narrow band of being right or too dry or just slop...the modern versions are really tolerant and are perfect for thickening a casserole too.
    beauty of the dehy spuds is you can do a small quantity for one person wwithout having to peel spuds and wait for them to cook,then try and mash tiny amount....
    mutton chops in electric frypan......then a couple of eggs cooked in same,mashed spuds on plate,the eggs in the hollow you put in the spuds with serving spoon,chops on side of plate...pure bliss.
    In the USA Idahoan brand instant mashed are my go to for a quick meal. Brown some cubed beef in a little bacon fat, remove and set aside, add onions to pan and cook until tender/slightly browned. Add a cup and a half of water and beef base/bullion(I use Better than Bullion beef base, good stuff!) to taste watching your salt level. Bring to a simmer, add the beef and cook to desired doneness level, in the last minute frozen veg works well, add green beans, peas, corn... thicken with a corn starch slurry and pour over the instant mashed. Quick and easy meal. Do not salt the meat before browning, the beef base adds a lot of salt... pepper yes, a little ground celery seed goes well with beef(not a lot, you don't want to taste celery, you want to say hmmm, what is that background flavor)

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post

Could send 1/4 of it my way LOL I LOVE elk! Hands down my favorite game meat. Had a friend who elk hunted before he died, he hunted 3 months before cancer took him. His wife wasn't an elk fan so I was given a freezer and all the elk meat that was in it. Had over half the animal. He vacuum bagged everything so when I finished it a year and a half later it was still good.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Most people consider me a pretty good cook, but I hate cooking for myself. The only thing I can get excited about is a quick fried steak. When there are a lot of people to feed, I can get into cooking a big meal. Otherwise, there’s nothing like a simple good piece of meat.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    To make basic bread, start with white flour. They use to sell bread flower that wasn’t white and would be best if they still sell it. Take some lukewarm water, the temperature you would test a baby’s bottle on your wrist. Add twice the recommended amount of yeast for the amount of flour.
    Then mix in a few tablespoons of flour. After a few minutes add more. It should thicken and bubble a bit. Add flour until you have a batter like consistency. Wait a few more minutes and then add some salt and flour until it gets to a kneading consistency. Let rise and least once in a warm environment. Knead again, let rise and bake. Normally 400*F or a little more. Tap them and when the sound hollow there done. I like to let them cool down upside down. You can do things like bacon grease, but cut down on the added salt.
    After you get the basic recipe down, you are free to expriment with all sorts of things.
    I made some this morning for a great pizza dough at lunch. I did add some olive oil too.
    Start simple and then try experimenting with other flours and additives.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Sometimes when cooking for one, store bought does the trick. I liked the Krusteaz pancake mix. Other things are definitely better made fresh. Didn't mean to hijack or anything just offering an alternative. I am learning to make bread. Tried a few recipes and am still learning as not quite there yet. Figure something that basic would be easy but not for me.
    Ive made this recipe a few times. Very easy and good simple bread.
    https://gatherforbread.com/easy-perfect-yeast-bread/

Boolit Master

I recently lost my wife of 60 years.
    These recipes are now of interest to me.
    Lets have some more.

Grilled cheese sammiches. You can add multiple types of cheese and lunch meat, tomatoes, etc. Great time to get creative.

Quesadillas. Again, add whatever cheeses you like. Or again, get creative with grilled and spiced chicken, ground beef, ground pork, etc.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

A sandwich maker and some cheese, pepperoni, and pizza sauce make decent Bachelor Chow. I will always remember dad making this one time before we headed out early one morning when I was a kid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast