Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .44magnum help

Boolit Master
    yip triplebeards you have it nailed...... and its hard thing to convince the end user about..... in reality a .12ga with #4 birdshot at 3 feet would be safer...but its LOUD..... the humble .223 with 55grn soft points works well too.
    what my gut tells me I will end up with...is a dual loading........ something reasonably quiet and tame that will shoot bottom of beer can at 20 yards...anywhere in earhole will be fine...and a get out of jail load..full noise,no compromise.

Boolit Master
    three44s thanks for that...mate has ap100 which sits right next to your powder so he will be pleased to read that.

Boolit Master
    well so far..2 shots fired=two dead pigs
    first was a subsonic..hit low,in jaw,pig charged,dogs grabbed it and pig was stuck with knife
    second was hit reflex shot as it bolted past at all of 2 yards...I THINK it was a supersonic reasonably hotly loaded 270grn semihollow point...sounds like high shoulder spine hit..dropped on spot...
    have some 240grn berrys bullets to try at some point,AND got a set of my own dies
    cant believe how much fun Im having with this.
    ..its a challenge to me..
    I WILL get it right....
    too plurry stubborn not to LOL.

Banner Sponsor

Sounds Excellent
    If you can get me the length of your bullet and the loaded length, I can try to put it into Quickload with RedDot as the powder.
    The problem with heavy bullets and super fast powder is that small changes in powder charge can give big jumps in pressure without too much of an increase in measured velocity.
    I'm fairly sure that you can bump up your loads some. You'll just have to keep a close eye on the primers. If they start to get flat, your at max, if they crater, you are over max.
    What rifle and barrel length will you be testing them in?
    I love working outside the norm. I have loaded 405s in the 45 Colt for a 4 5/8" Ruger Blackhawk. Lots of fun...

Boolit Master

My last pig was taken at 50 yds with a 150gr 30-06.. it dropped and was rolled over.. shot detonated a shoulder tore lungs out and blew ribs out on one side. bak legs kicked a couple seconds.. that was it. I had a perfect side heart shot lined up and he saw me just as I was fingering the trigger and he turned to near face me so the angle of the shot instead of side to side heard was more of shoulder lungs ribs. He tasked good. dressed out just over 100# was a piney woods rooter. My buddy took a piney woods/russian mixed.. he dressed out at 150.. he got a better side shot.. he was in a lawn chair setting in weeds neck high near a wet spot... I was in a sparse treed area standing in the middle of a 3 trunked oak... way more open... which is why piggy saw me,,,

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    My last pig was taken at 50 yds with a 150gr 30-06.. it dropped and was rolled over.. shot detonated a shoulder tore lungs out and blew ribs out on one side. bak legs kicked a couple seconds.. that was it. I had a perfect side heart shot lined up and he saw me just as I was fingering the trigger and he turned to near face me so the angle of the shot instead of side to side heard was more of shoulder lungs ribs. He tasked good. dressed out just over 100# was a piney woods rooter. My buddy took a piney woods/russian mixed.. he dressed out at 150.. he got a better side shot.. he was in a lawn chair setting in weeds neck high near a wet spot... I was in a sparse treed area standing in the middle of a 3 trunked oak... way more open... which is why piggy saw me,,,
    He probably smelled you. Once they turn toward you and raise their snout, it's a good sign that within a second or two they will take off in a mad dash. I slipped to within 5 or 6 steps of a boar once but I had the wind in my favor - even so, he still smelled me after a short time, and took off in the opposite direction.

I've been told the only animal with a nose approaching a hog's sense of smell is a bear...

Boolit Master

You could be right. Wind may have changed right as I was taking aim..and yeah..i didn't want to loose him.. I knew it would be a kill shot.. Just knew it wouldn't be perfect. My buddy had already killed his and the grunts from the pack in our area weren't near enough to see another straggler.. So I decided to go for it. If he had ran 5' in any direction he'd have been gone.

Boolit Master
    I like the term "get out of jail load"! I hope you won't mind if I use that!
    I don't think there's much point in increasing the charge with the AP50 (Red Dot similar) propellant. You might very well get somewhere, by carefully increasing the charge weight from 6.0/AP30 to 6.5, 7.0, and perhaps even 7.5 gr. Reload 5 or 10 at each charge weight, and shoot them (chronograph, if you can), checking for flattened(ing) primers, and sticky extraction. A LITTLE bit of primer flattening is not usually a bad thing, but it's a sign that you are approaching a maximum. Sticky extraction means "STOP!".
    You should probably also keep your velocities near or under 1000 f/s, so that the faster projectiles do not break the sound barrier and add a super-sonic "crack" to the noise.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

I cast and powder coat a 240 swc . I shoot them in a 6 inch revolver with 8 grains of AP70 (similar to Unique) .This is a very accurate load with an average speed of 950fps.
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    Sounds Excellent
    If you can get me the length of your bullet and the loaded length, I can try to put it into Quickload with RedDot as the powder.
    The problem with heavy bullets and super fast powder is that small changes in powder charge can give big jumps in pressure without too much of an increase in measured velocity.
    I'm fairly sure that you can bump up your loads some. You'll just have to keep a close eye on the primers. If they start to get flat, your at max, if they crater, you are over max.
    What rifle and barrel length will you be testing them in?
    I love working outside the norm. I have loaded 405s in the 45 Colt for a 4 5/8" Ruger Blackhawk. Lots of fun...
    its a begera rifle...and strangely enough,the first loads I put together,I seated them long..just cause I could....and the 2X 6grn of green dot loads were really quiet......so Im THINKING by seating long,Ive in effect made it a bigger case,so a lighter load...seated deeper the pressure will be higher so maybe I wont need to up it much anyway...also in theory a rifle barrel should be 3-400fps faster than handgun...better powder burn etc etc...so maybe the velocity will be in desired range without much tweaking....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12