MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationPBcastcoWideners
Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For every animal you take

For every animal you take

For every shot you make on a live animal about how many you reckon you take in practice? Buddy asked me this at work and after some thinking I told him depending on the rifle load development ect, I'd say at least 200rd ( looking at around 500 with this cast stuff lol). He said he thought that was a little nuts and I just shrugged and said I like know where everything is going and what's gonna happen when I pull the trigger.
    What about y'all ?
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Buddy
    I kill 11-13 deer a year here in KY and I say I shoot 100-125,000 rounds a year….so a lot lol

Boolit Master
    91; Can't give an accurate count. Sometimes I get an animal with every shot, & then I may get a new gun that loads need to be developed & may try many many loads til I find what I think I want. Then I may change my mind & start all over again. But then again I have tried a load that was great right out of the gate & stopped right there. But I still need a frequent fix from the bang stick due to my addiction.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    For every shot you make on a live animal about how many you reckon you take in practice? Buddy asked me this at work and after some thinking I told him depending on the rifle load development ect, I'd say at least 200rd ( looking at around 500 with this cast stuff lol). He said he thought that was a little nuts and I just shrugged and said I like know where everything is going and what's gonna happen when I pull the trigger.
    What about y'all ?
    I haven't hunted since I was 17, makes it 50 years ago. When I hunted, we used my dad's 30-06 Springfield that he's sporterized himself. My next-youngest half-brother owns it now, AFAIK. I started helping him load for that rifle when I was 10 or younger. Moderate load of 4895, IIRC, 150gr cast roundnose bullet. 1500fps? Somewhere close to there, anyway. I have no idea how many bullets like that we put down range before that hunt, but it had to have been upwards of 1000. I have my own sporterized 30-06 Springfield now, somebody else sporterized it, but it gets similar loads when I'm loading for it. Don't know if I'll ever shoot a deer again. The one I got back there/then was really a fawn, probably, bit over 100lbs dressed out. Muley. What they have here, white tails, that's a pretty good sized buck, or so I hear. I am collecting stuff to do mouse-fart loads for the 06, just for fun, and punching paper targets and soda cans. That's about all I'm likely to hunt these days.

Bill

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Once I develop a load I only shoot a few times to check my zero every year before season starts. Then it’s usually one shot per deer.

Boolit Grand Master

I am a shooter that hunts. I normal shoot about 20,000 rounds a year. I like shooting so I shoot whatever as much as I want or need. The least shot is my smokeless muzzleloader. When I first got it I shot it a lot for load development. Now it's one shot to confirm zero and one shot to kill a deer. Past 5 season totals were 5 zero confirmation shoots and 5 dead deer.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    An interesting question to be sure. I was introduced to a Marlin 39 in .22 RF when I was seven years old (fully supervised) and began hunting small game with my grandfather, then I was allowed to hunt alone a few years thereafter - maybe by age 9 or 10. My family was mostly made up of old German immigrants and they were cheap. When I began hunting alone, my great-uncle would count out cartridges then grill me on any shots I took; this was when Super-X .22 LR was 50 cents for a box of 50. In most instances, he wanted to see proof - even if it was a varmint, so plinking wasn’t really encouraged. Even though the grown men in our family all participated in target competitions, we spent very little time shooting once someone was declared competent enough to “bring home the meat”. Subsequently, a box of centerfire rifle ammo or buckshot would sometimes last 20 years or more, depending on how many deer were collected.

I’m in my 60’s now, and although I might shoot a combination of guns in a year while plinking or developing a load, I have kept the habit of being generally frugal with the ammunition. A 7mm-08 is my main deer rifle and it was only shot to initially sight in and once at each deer I have harvested, so I’m on my second box of Federal ammo.

The long answer to your question is that I shoot a variety of firearms in the course of a year but rounds fired per game animal is pretty low - certainly less than 5/1.

Last deer I took I used a gun I didn’t use a lot. I shot something like 100 rounds total the whole time I had it.

Id be totally confident to hunt deer with my 30-30 if only I could have 1 shot to confirm sight elevator is correct. I’m a close range hunter though. For that matter, Im sure my sights are on with factory 170 grain so I’d be confident to hunt with it with nothing but a wipe down and lube.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 08-09-2022 at 11:14 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    My savage sees 20 rounds before the season. 2 rounds to check 100 yd zero, 2 at 200. And if its good the rest of the box at various ranges on clay peigons out to 300yds. And cleaned when the season is over.

I shoot alot too, but this is a tupperwear wounder I picked up, and dont really like it. The good areas to hunt here are accessed on foot or petal bike. So if i crash again, it will ruin my day and maybe wreck a $300 meat getter.

Boolit Grand Master

I like to practice a lot. For shotguns, I've had years I've shot 100:1 practice shots to birds killed for sure.

Then there are years like this year. I got hurt, had shoulder surgery. I've fired a few hundred rounds of handgun. Good one-handed practice, but it doesn't do much for hunting. I haven't fired a shotgun in months. I feel good, but I'm not willing to push it quite yet. Bear hunting is in 3 weeks, and I'll be taking out the M1A or the Henry rifle. The Henry I'll take 10 shots, a few to foul the barrel, and some more to confirm zero. The M1A is sighted in for something else, so I'll probably have to turn down the sight some. Maybe 15 shots for that. I'm not too worried though. Bears are shot at 20 to 40 yards.

Back when I was still hunting, I'd shoot the primary deer rifle about 100 times a year.
    Then go hunting with it and kill 2-3 deer per season.
    But I sort of counted all the other several hundred from other rifles as helping me with that one too.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

I have enough rifles that I no longer just use one to hunt. I shoot between 65K and 100K bullets a year, but for hunting purposes, I just grab whichever one strikes my fancy and use maybe 5 rounds to check zero. Most of the time the rifle I grab is a single shot, so I just take 3 cartridges with me on my hunt.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    I have enough rifles that I no longer just use one to hunt. I shoot between 65K and 100K bullets a year, but for hunting purposes, I just grab whichever one strikes my fancy and use maybe 5 rounds to check zero. Most of the time the rifle I grab is a single shot, so I just take 3 cartridges with me on my hunt.
    WOW.

I thought I used to shoot a lot at 15-20k/year. I would love to see your reloading setup.

Anyway, to answer the questions posed, I might shoot 10-40 critters a year of all types (squirrels to deer). And rounds downrange has varied from 4-20k for the last 30 years with fewer lately.
    Don Verna

When I was a kid, back in the 1950s, reloading was practiced by a relative few. I knew several men, old at the time, who got their deer every year with one shot using a cartridge from a box of 20 that contained maybe 18 empties. I asked one of them if that meant he had bagged 18 deer and he said, "No, I shot 15--I missed a couple of times." Things have sure changed.

DG

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WinchesterM1 View Post
    I kill 11-13 deer a year here in KY and I say I shoot 100-125,000 rounds a year….so a lot lol
    Jeez, Somebody's having fun!!
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

I can’t imagine shooting 100k rounds a year. I’d get bored of shooting. I shoot less now than I did, but I was into about 10k a year for a while, including 22s.

Boolit Master

100,000 would be 274 rounds a day, 365 days in a year...... I might shoot 50-60 rounds a week, less during hunting season, call it 3000 more or less. Generally take between 8 and 12 deer per year, had to shoot one twice in the last ten years. And I always use a different rifle for every deer bagged. Keeps it fun.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master

With the shotgun slugs, 2 shots per year. With the 30-06, 1 or 2 per year. That's 1 to 4 deer per year. I generally only shoot once per critter. That's how I do it. Maybe check zeros every 5 years or so if shots seem off. All the rest is just fun blasting. My slugs are Ffactory Remington sluggers and my '06, that load was worked up 40 years ago or so. 168 Sierra Game King over IMR 4895, 46 grains more/less.
    I did fire 15 slugs at a buck once. I won.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Electrod47 View Post
    Jeez, Somebody's having fun!!
    I shoot guns for a living for 11 different gun magazines, in one session(one day) I’ve shot up to 7k rounds of 9mm….yes it gets very boring I stopped picking up 9mm brass because I had 7-5 gallon buckets of it before I said..wow I will never have the components to reload all of this…..so why keep it, so I sold it/gave it away/ scrapped it till I’m down to 1-5 gallon bucket…but we have been doing ALOT of 10mm lately now that I pick up

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CB96FB91-4993-4115-9C16-C78C2243E4E7.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	303065

That’s me.. I own that pistol now, a real sweet shooter

Hey wolfdog91
    Interesting question! According to simple reciepts accounting, my Dillon RL 300 has assembled over a million cartridges. Most of my discharge is in competition. For thirty years, the legal bag limit was taken on deer and hog. My kill ratio is an unblemished 1 to 1, even in my bow usage. Even the most serious shooting competition, is still only play and practice. Marine corp duty showed me the very real difference. Although my proficiency has declined, rest assured, the present ratio could easily be maintained. No longer does the allure of fresh meat, find me in the swamp somewhere, ready to ambush an unwary animal. As time marches on, my continued shooting will numerically increase the amount of expenditure per carcass. To hazard a guess at how many rounds per kill would be possible, but probably not impressive or good for the ego. Still, an intriguing question that has stirred my thoughts, thank you wolfdog.
    Roy
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast