Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Help With Size

Boolit Buddy

Help With Size

I recently got a .43 Spanish rolling block. I have some brass and dies and now hunting for bullet options to get this old rifle shooting again. I used a .454 round ball from pure lead to slug the bore. The large measurement is .442. I know I read about .43 Spanish being .439 but as I stated. Mine slugged .442. Does that mean I need to size my bullets to .445 to get proper fit? Is a chamber cast the only way to see if that will even chamber? Thanks

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Chamber cast will answer all most all questions i run .460 for my 45/70 in pure lead very accurate rifle

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, I also have a 45-70 sharps I shoot .460 wheel weight allow in and it does great. But I'm asking about .43 Spanish.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

43 Spanish is not normally going to chamber a round with a groove diameter bullet seated. That's why you use soft lead and black powder, as soon as it lights off the bullet fits the barrel just fine. If you make a chamber cast you will also discover the chamber is about 1/4 inch longer than the case. I quickly learned that if I made cases out of 44-90 brass trimmed to the length of the chamber it was considerably more accurate. No need to resize the cases, just make a bullet a slip fit in a fired case and life is easy as is accuracy.