Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Mernickle Shoulder Holster Problem

Mernickle Shoulder Holster Problem

I have 3 Mernickle holsters: 2 are belt holsters & 1 is a shoulder rig. No problem with the 2 belt holsters: in fact no problem with the holster part of the shoulder rig. My problem is with the harness.

The harness is made of very limp thin leather. It has the consistency of thick cloth.

I ordered it for a 4" S&W 25-5. As you know the 25-5 is no lightweight. This weight & the limp harness material makes for an unstable carry position.

I called Mernickle a few months ago to see if they had perhaps redesigned their harness & they had not. Every now and then I'll take this rig out of the gun safe & try to adjust everything to improve the problem, but nothing works.
    That material also stretches.

I called them today & they'd make a new harness from thicker leather for $50.00 & I'd pay the freight both ways. They say that the thin more flexible leather is more comfortable.

The only experience I've had with a shoulder holster was back in the 80's with a 8 3/8 25-5 in a Safariland rig. I really liked that holster & had no problems with it whatsoever (I gifted that gun & holster to my oldest son). I'm trying to decide whether to roll the dice with Mernickle again or look elsewhere. There seems to be a dearth of shoulder rigs for revolvers (particularly large revolvers).

Any recommendations on a shoulder holster manufacturer?

You could discuss the problem with Springfield, a member here. He made two custom shoulder holsters for me out of heavy leather for large revolvers and I've got no complaints. www.WhyteLeatherWorks.com

DG

Boolit Buddy

I learned I do not like shoulder holster, seems I am too thick in the chest or arms are just too short! It is not the nicest idea, but have you thought about a leather slider (say 1 1/2 x 6 in ) threaded thru on to the factory strap to spread the load? I have seen and used this method on chest rigs for heavy handguns like my T/C contender and Lone Eagle 7/08 Nice looking holster you have GW

Boolit Master
    Just a suggestion. Hit all the thrift shops for old leather belts. And have someone with a heavy duty (shoe maker?) sew the old belts onto the limp leather. Should make the harness a little more stiffer. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    You could discuss the problem with Springfield, a member here. He made two custom shoulder holsters for me out of heavy leather for large revolvers and I've got no complaints. www.WhyteLeatherWorks.com

DG
    Thanks for this information. I checked out that web site & I think you've given me the solution.

Henry

AN UPDATE:

1. I have a new rig on order from Whyte Leather Works. He 1st. wanted me to send photos of the Mernickle rig to see if he could replace the harness to make the holster stable. After studying my photos his opinion was that due to the attaching locations on the holster his harness design would not work.

2. Later I received an advertising email from Mernickle & I replied telling them how satisfied I was with my 2 belt holsters that they manufactured, but how unsatisfied with the harness on the shoulder rig. Soon afterwards I received a phone call from Mernickle. They apologized for the incorrect information that I had received that their replacement (thicker) harness would cost me $50.00 + shipping. They promptly send a replacement harness @ no charge & told me to keep the original harness. After changing out the harness I made a slight recommendation that I thought would make it even better. They promptly responded & made another harness with that very slight adjustment & sent it to me @ no charge. They insisted that keep all harnesses.

The replacement harness of the thicker material made the rig more stable & just as comfortable.

It looks like I will have 2 shoulder rigs.
    Last edited by oldhenry; 11-07-2022 at 09:08 AM.

Boolit Master
    I would have tried laminating some webbing onto the existing leather - maybe by sewing on a strip of canvas. Just a thought, but better that the factory made it right for you.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldhenry View Post
    AN UPDATE:

1. I have a new rig on order from Whyte Leather Works. He 1st. wanted me to send photos of the Mernickle rig to see if he could replace the harness to make the holster stable. After studying my photos his opinion was that due to the attaching locations on the holster his harness design would not work.

2. Later I received an advertising email from Mernickle & I replied telling them how satisfied I was with my 2 belt holsters that they manufactured, but how unsatisfied with the harness on the shoulder rig. Soon afterwards I received a phone call from Mernickle. They apologized for the incorrect information that I had received that their replacement (thicker) harness would cost me $50.00 + shipping. They promptly send a replacement harness @ no charge & told me to keep the original harness. After changing out the harness I made a slight recommendation that I thought would make it even better. They promptly responded & made another harness with that very slight adjustment & sent it to me @ no charge. They insisted that keep all harnesses.

The replacement harness of the thicker material made the rig more stable & just as comfortable.

It looks like I will have 2 shoulder rigs.
    Thats good to know. I'm Mernickle fan. I too had an issue with a shoulder rig for 25-3....it was to thick. I gave it away when I sold the gun. Geez..I should have called them. I might still have the rig.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

In my experience cotton webbing is much better for a harness than thin leather. Any kind of leather in that application with a finish on it is likely to stain clothes if you sweat. Harnesses are not really a forever part of a holster rig. They are meant to be periodically replaced. Years ago when such rigs were popular a new harness could be called for every year or so, but the leather holster would last for a career.