Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sharpshooter-22lr-reloader NEW rifle check makers

sharpshooter-22lr-reloader NEW rifle check makers

In the process of looking for a 30 cal check maker for some time, I just noticed that sharpshooter 22lr reloader is now making Rifle checks for .22 & .30 cal boolits.
    Does anyone here have experience with their other pistol check makers, I thought I'd wait on pulling the trigger until I hear some feedback.

https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.m...as-check-maker
    https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.m...as-check-maker
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

It will be interesting to hear how it works out for who got them.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

I made my own .30 Cal aluminum check maker, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy from 22lr Reloader, they look like quality and what I have received from them in the past seems to be good quality although I have not actually used any of it.

Those are some turnkey prices compared to the competition. I like the idea of it not being a two stroke process or needing a separate ejector to function. I'll order the .30 die in a couple weeks and let everyone know how it goes.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Mold
    Was looking into buying both myself and googled reviews for these and this came up.

I ordered the .30 cal die tonight. I will have an update in about a week, stay tuned...

Boolit Buddy
    Bought .22RE's percussion cap maker.......quality item, same for the little mould they supply with their kit. Had I not just acquired one of PM's I would most certainly have ordered from them......they didn't take a year to send the stuff I ordered. Too, the finish quality of their products is at least as good or better than PM's.

Boolit Buddy
    I have his 44 gas check maker. It's as good as I am an operator of it. Don't know how to fix this last part.

Well shooters & reloaders, the die came to my mailbox in 4 business days. The fit of the the die is tight and the finish is on par with Lee's polished dies.

I punched out about 50 x .30 cal. checks and only had 3 unusable checks, I will chalk that up to error on my part, I was trying to see how many I could squeeze out of these Copenhagen lids and cross cut them.
    The checks are a tad smaller than my previous Hornady .30 cal checks in height by 2 tenths of a MM.

The ID between the checks is the same, but 22RL's gas check fits the cast from my MP mold better, so that means the checks are tighter and less bowed out towards the opening than Hornady's checks.

Overall, I am very satisfied with my purchases, I have never punched checks before and thought to myself: Wow, this is simple.
    I would highly recommend that others who have thought about making their own gas checks, to seriously try it.

I have a 30 cal one one the way but I can't seem to find any 0.017 or 0.02 aluminum valley flashing online. It's all 0.011"

Update: I think 24 gauage is 0.02"

But this is expensive:
    https://www.metalroofingscrews.com/p...31010728837192
    Last edited by kentfielddude; 01-23-2023 at 10:13 PM.

Boolit Mold
    I “sandwiche” my .012 flashing with strip of beer can (.004) and that seems to make them thick enough for .30 shank.

I know the patmarlins gas check maker can be resharpened. Do you think this one can be aswell?

Boolit Master
    Yeah, you can easily sharpen the punch. It should be almost the same as sharpening a Pat Marlins, except the punch will be concave or countersinked vs flat.

If you wanted to sharpen or debur the outside hole half of the die, you can put a piece of PSA sandpaper on a strip of your check material and rub it in the slot.

The 223 should make more than 1000 checks for every square foot of material, if you are curious how much material you would want to buy.

Boolit Master
    If you bought 5000 223 checks for $30/1000, that's 150 dollars.

I bought a roll of 6"x10' material at the local store for 19.00. That'll make 5000 checks. So if you can afford that much powder and primers, you should come out ahead by 5000! But of course it's kina fun to make your own checks for less than half a cent of material, each. You'll surely end up buying every caliber and never making your money back.

I'm only going to cast bullets for 300 blackout and maybe 303 british.
    Last edited by kentfielddude; 01-24-2023 at 10:51 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Deces, what are the copenhagen lids made from. I thought they were tin.

Quote Originally Posted by Oily View Post
    Deces, what are the copenhagen lids made from. I thought they were tin.
    I noticed some rust on one of the lids, so I guess it was steel. I have since switched to smoked oyster pull lids, those are aluminum and one side looks like brass

Boolit Master

I don't shoot much in the way of gaschecked bullets these days.

But the ability to make #10 caps interests me.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230219_142310.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	311611
    Made some 30 cal gas checks out of 0.5mm alumnium using the sharpshooter gas check maker it works well.

I broke my reloading bench while making them. 0.5mm requires a bit of force. Going to try some 0.4mm aluminium once I've fixed my bench.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230220_194925.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	311612

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast