RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sharpshooter-22lr-reloader NEW rifle check makers

Got the alumnium from aliexpress. Couldn't find anything thick enough locally.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230219_143254.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	311613

Quote Originally Posted by kentfielddude View Post
    I broke my reloading bench while making them. 0.5mm requires a bit of force. Going to try some 0.4mm aluminium once I've fixed my bench.Attachment 311612
    That can be a big set back. I see what you did to catch the checks popping out of the die, I used the Red cylinder case the comes with the old style Lee cast sizing dies, to catch my checks.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Yeah i thought about that. I'm using NOE sizing dies to size my bullets so I don't have any of the lee red cylinders and it doesn't look like you can just buy the cylinder.

I picked up a rcbs rock chucker II used locally. I don't want to break my lee turret lol.

Boolit Mold
    When I’m making a lot of checks I have one of those cheap lee hand presses I mount upside down in a vice and tap handle to punch checks… they fall out the bottom into a cup on the bench

I guess 22lrreloader is now offering a small & large primer cup punch die, because of the recent primer shortage. This company slays seems to be coming out with something that helps out in hard times.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Yeah, I would be very weary of using aluminum flash for primer cups...
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master
    Will they make checks with .006" material? I plan on using the thin material on plain base boolits.

I did make some gas checks with a pop can when I first got the 30 cal sharpshooter gas check maker just to test. Searching the internet I found average thickness is 0.102 millimeter which is 0.004".
    They seem to be slightly less tall then when using thicker material. 0.004" was pretty thin and while I didn't try using these gas checks, I'm not sure how well they would work. The edges have crimps in them.

0.004":Click image for larger version. 

Name:	popcangascheck.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	311681

Gas checks from 0.5mm (0.019685") aluminum:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gascheck0.5mm.jpg 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	311682
    Last edited by kentfielddude; 03-15-2023 at 01:20 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kentfielddude View Post
    I did make some gas checks with a pop can when I first got the 30 cal sharpshooter gas check maker just to test. Searching the internet I found average thickness is 0.102 millimeter which is 0.004".
    They seem to be slightly less tall then when using thicker material. 0.004" was pretty thin and while I didn't try using these gas checks, I'm not sure how well they would work. The edges have crimps in them.

0.004":Click image for larger version. 

Name:	popcangascheck.jpg 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	311681

Gas checks from 0.5mm (0.019685") aluminum:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gascheck0.5mm.jpg 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	311682
    The aluminum material you are using (Pop Can) is too thin. That is why the sides are wavy, and the base is not a flat surface. Other Aluminum based cans thicker might work better.

I use Amerimax .014 inch thick flashing (4 inch x 50 foot rolls) for making my checks, but they are not Sharpshooter Check dies. Here is an Amazon Link for the type of flashing I use. I buy mine at Ace Hardware though.

Amerimax 68104 Aluminum Roll Valley Flashing 0.0140" 4" X 50 '

Not sure what thickness your instructions call out; but Amerimax should have a thickness that will meet your needs. There used to be a chart of Amerimax Flashing options with a thickness for each; could not locate it - so just sort through their flashing options looking for a thickness that fits your dies/meets your needs.

I have a 50BMG gas check die that I use a "Spray Sun Sunscreen" aluminum bottle cut up that is just the right thickness. So; scrap options can work; but the Amerimax is probably your best option for reliable thickness and repeatable source.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Mold
    "I guess 22lrreloader is now offering a small & large primer cup punch die, because of the recent primer shortage. This company slays seems to be coming out with something that helps out in hard times."

saw them at the Recoilstore too https://recoilstore.com/reloading/

They also sell the one stroke...cheaper too

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12