Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whiskey bottle wax???

Boolit Buddy

Whiskey bottle wax???

Is there any use for the red wax on bottles of Makers Mark? I am a connoisseur of Makers, and have about 2 gallon sized freezer bags of the wax dipped bottle tops. . .just made me think of boolit lube??? Let me know if there are any good recipes out there. Thank you.

Boolit Master
    It's probably some form of paraffin - maybe with a bit of carnauba added for shine. Would likely work with smokeless recipes for lube.

Boolit Grand Master

https://www.pastemagazine.com/drink/...tles-have-red/

The first bottle was dipped using wax heated up in a deep fryer on the Samuels’ stove. The formula for Maker’s Mark’s wax used today was developed by Tom Hammond in his garage. It took six months, and a lot of trial and error, for him to create the iconic wax. One important feature of it: it will only melt at 350 degrees, so there’s no risk of it melting after it initially dries on the bottle (that could make for some messy bottles if they got warm in transport or at your home).

One more

https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-s...s-mark-bottle/

The appearance of the wax is distinctive enough that the Samuels family trademarked it in 1985. In 2003, Maker’s successfully sued Diageo over a line of Jose Cuervo tequilas that were also being sold in bottles topped with dripping red wax.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-13-2022 at 06:20 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

It shouldn't be much different than using plain paraffin, candles, or even crayons for a base in any home made lube.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

From M-Tecs' post it doesn’t seem like it has any utility at all. More plastic than wax.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    From M-Tecs' post it doesn’t seem like it has any utility at all. More plastic than wax.
    Yup, I dipped 6 bottle necks in that stuff a few years ago and that stuff acted more like plastic than wax.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Buddy
    Well Hell! That doesn't sound to promising. I was hoping for some good use from all this - LOL. Besides the good whiskey drinks!!!

Ya for danged sure won't be able to sell it for enough to pay for a liver transplant. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

You could try it as a flux when casting. I have used the Baby Belle cheese wrappers like this, and they work well.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master
    I can’t swear to this, but I’ve been told that the main component of the MM bottle seal is Carnauba Wax, noted for two things, one of which is high melting point. IIRC, early records were made mostly of Carnauba for its high MP and toughness. It also imparts a shine to metal surfaces, so I use a couple of % in my home brew mixes and just bought several lb of Lars’ Carnauba Red to use (in a heated sizer) for pistol bullets. Take my free observations for what they’re worth!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

The wax on cheese is Carnauba, and it is WAY softer than the stuff on Makers Mark bottles.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Try on a few rounds and see what happens see how it acts in the gun see how it cleand up after firing if all looks good try a few more and see ??? Thake your time and watch the results keep good notes for a reference ?? It took me about 4 years of trials to get my lube to do just what i wanted on target and in the gun<< good luck

Boolit Bub
    Sounds like a lot of work. My local furniture store sells nice Amish and Mennonite stuff with traditional door slides that should be waxed, so he sells blocks of parafin in 3/4 and 1" thickness for doing just that. I just warm them on a hot plate and press the boolits through them when they come out of the mold hot. Similar blocks all over ebay...buy in bulk, shelf life is longer than you or I will have on this Earth.
    Last edited by 1886nut; 08-09-2022 at 04:39 PM.

I, too, njoy Maker’s Mark. I always thought the seal on the bottle was some kind of plastic.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Grand Master
    Pure Carnauba is hard!! Years ago a fellow caster gave me some pieces of pure CW and it was like chunks of tan colored hard plastic. Randy Rat sold me some in the form of shavings… much easier to melt into my mix.

The stuff on cheese may contain some Carnauba, but it’s by no means pure. Based on a very rudimentary comparison, the harder stuff sealing Maker’s Mark bottles is likely to be much higher in Carnauba than the wrapping around Baby Belles.

I’ve got a lifetime supply of CW for mixing my own DIY lubes, but if anyone needs help emptying their MM bottles to fill their own stash, let me know and I’ll come help. I’m that kind of nice guy.

Froggie

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFSHORE View Post
    Is there any use for the red wax on bottles of Makers Mark? I am a connoisseur of Makers, and have about 2 gallon sized freezer bags of the wax dipped bottle tops. . .just made me think of boolit lube??? Let me know if there are any good recipes out there. Thank you.
    Wax that doesn't melt easily is used by machinists and jewelers for practice material and to make parts for lost-wax castings. Somewhere on this machine I have a recipe for making it from paraffin and the plastic shopping bags that are so common these days. "machinable wax" would be one search term. Jewelers use several kinds of wax, of varying hardness's including soft and sticky waxes. They generally burn out the wax before pouring the metal in. I've seen folks do lost wax and lost plastic castings without burning out the wax or plastic, and it gets smoky and smelly.

Not sure it would work well as a bullet or boolit lube by itself. Good luck getting the info you asked for.

Bill

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Pure Carnauba is hard!!

I’ve got a lifetime supply of CW for mixing my own DIY lubes, but if anyone needs help emptying their MM bottles to fill their own stash, let me know and I’ll come help. I’m that kind of nice guy.

Froggie
    Y'all need so help Im willing to step up and do my part

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daver7 View Post
    Y'all need so help Im willing to step up and do my part
    You’re obviously a fine fellow, Daver7. Perhaps we can form a traveling team of like minded selfless types willing to go where we are needed for the noble task of helping empty Maker’s Mark bottles to help increase the available supply of this fine sealing wax for use by our fellow casters. There may even be a Nobel Prize in it for us in recognition of our acts of selflessness.

Boolit Master
    Makers Mark fancy bottle topping is a thermal plastic.

Cheese wheel wax only contains a very small portion of a firming wax that may not be Carnauba wax, as it’s expensive.

Why anyone would invest in scrap ingredients to make lube to their coat bullet$, potentially wasting powder and primers on a handload using suspect junk leaves my head shaking.
    Buy pure, clean ingredients for your homemade lubes. Measure your lube ingredients carefully, by weight and make notes of your formula so it can be accurately duplicated.
    Last edited by greenjoytj; 08-16-2022 at 10:52 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by greenjoytj View Post
    Makers Mark fancy bottle topping is a thermal plastic.

Cheese wheel wax only contains a very small portion of a firming wax that may not be Carnauba wax, as it’s expensive.

Why anyone would invest in scrap ingredients to make lube to their coat bullet$, potentially wasting powder and primers on a handload using suspect junk leaves my head shaking.
    Buy pure, clean ingredients for your homemade lubes. Measure your lube ingredients carefully, by weight and make notes of your formula so it can be accurately duplicated.
    I was told and read in several places that the Makers bottles were wax dipped. Never knew any different, and had not tried it as of now. I wanted to ask the folks here if they have ever gave it a try and what the results were. . .I see it is best that I just leave it alone. Thank you for the input everyone, and have a happy holiday weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast