Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is reloading a viable option for new low volume shooters?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Not a one size fits all answer. Every person is different. Different needs. Different attitude about the work, or for some fun, of reloading.

Teach them how to reload. They can determine for themselves if it is something they want to do.

Lastly, if a person cannot calculate the cost per round to reload, and determine if it makes economic sense, they should not be reloading. It is not a "nice" thing to say, but this is not an activity for foolish people.
    Once again Don (Dverna) is spot on, imho! The THREE major (again, imho) factors include: 1/ "Recreation of (re)loading" -- Hey -- compare the time spent versus one, say, sitting at a bar, in front of a television, or other free-time activity; 2/ OP did not mention calbre(s) -- e.g., simple to load hand-gun (e.g., .38 S&W Special, 9mm L&P, etc.) versus, say, wildcat rifle calibres; and 3/ (A big one for me) Are calibres NOT on the shelves of local stores (e.g., .38WCF, .25-20, etc.) the ones needed? I have a few firearms -- e.g., a .30-30 Remington rifle -- for which ONLY reloads enable it being shot!
    Some thoughts on query.....
    geo
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 08-08-2022 at 08:34 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Learning to reload doesn't mean you have to do it. But it is a nice "skill" to have. The knowledge of how ammo is 'made' just adds to the overall 'gun culture' population.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master
    A single stage press , dies , & a good powder scale are available used or new at a very reasonable cost + they will last a lifetime . Pick up a pound of powder , a couple hundred primers with a box or two jacketed bullets a new reloader is in business . But honestly very few people are willing to set down and take the time to load themselves a box or so of ammunition .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    There are people that love them but, if I had to start off with a Lee Loader I would never have gotten in to reloading. They might be great to take to a cabin or hunt camp but there is no way I would recommend them to a new reloader to produce their main ammo supply.
    Look at where you are coming from - for everyone that is a different place. Did you KNOW you wanted to reload when you started shooting? Did you start with an unlimited budget? Did you Go All In right out of the chocks? I sure didn't and I don't believe most did either. I knew I wanted in, but not All In out of the gate.

You cannot sit in judgement - now - knowing what you know - now - and condemn a fellow who has NO IDEA what you mean by "main ammo supply" when there is practically no ammo on the LGS shelf or if there is, it costs and arm and a leg for 20 rounds.

Based on supply and demand - now - it is justifiable to start slow and ease into reloading with COST AVERAGING over time for the fellow that doesn't (can't / won't) shoot a lot. If his motivation and financial situation improve over time, he might reconsider and Go All In.

Heck, if he figures out he doesn't like it, he can sell his stuff for what he paid for it, or maybe make a slight profit, since he did the leg work to gather it together in this time of lack.
    Last edited by Land Owner; 08-08-2022 at 09:42 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    I think it depends on what you call low volume. If a person only shoots 3 or 4 rounds a year for his hunting rifle to check zero and shoot a deer, then no. If a person shoots even 50 rounds a year, I think it starts to make sense. Start with one caliber and buy used tools. A lee whack a mole will work but any cheap older single stage and a set of used dies would be better. A used scale can be bought for $20/$25 but the lee powder scoops will also work.
    The big issue now is primers but even a couple of flats at $10/$12 each will load a bunch of ammo for a low volume shooter. With careful buying of used equipment, a pound of powder, a box of primers and a box of bullets could get you started for around $200. Rifle ammo now is around $2+ per round so 100 rounds loaded and you are at the break even point.
    I started about 60 years ago with a Lee whack a mole in 12 ga and it has cost me a small fortune. But, I have shot many thousands of dollars worth of ammo and could sell my supplies and equipment for a lot more than I have spent.
    The answer is yes for some and no for others

Boolit Grand Master

Economy wise, I would simply put a pencil to it. Browse the Midway site and make a list of equipment and components. Then compare it to the cost of whatever ammo they want to shoot. Loading 9mm will take longer (forever) to pay for itself while something like any of the Weatherby's or a 7mm STW will pay off quicker.

In my opinion, its a great time to be a reloader but not so great of a time to get into it. But I am seeing equipment coming back into stock and even powder and bullets. Primers, not so much.

Boolit Master
    IT DEPENDS. If you are shooting 9mm, 223, 40 S&W, 308 maybe not, a box, even two of 30-30's, 30-06 or 270 a year is not enough. Now if you want to shoot your 35 Remington, 32 Special, or 444 Marlin, reloading may be something to consider. First READ a couple reloading manuals, find someone who may show you what is involve. Start with jacketed bullets, then maybe buy some cast bullets from reliable sources. You DO NOT NEED all the equipment 'enthusiasts' and equipment junkies talk about to load good cartridges. Special equipment for case cleaning, primer pocket prepping, bullet molding and bullet sizing all come after learning how to simply load a metallic cartridge. Shotshell is very different than metallic cartridge reloading but there are common processes. The InterNet can be helpful BUT there is plenty of bad advice too. Again READ manuals from the Lyman, Speer, Lee for the reloading concepts, not just YouTube videos.

The big question is simple, are they gun people. If they are not why bother? Owning a firearm or three does not make you a gun person. I didn’t become a gun guy until I was in my very late 20s after moving from Baltimore to NC and started doing muzzleloading matches and m/l hunting to building cf loads for deer hunting and .45acp for ipsc matches. Most of the guys I’ve worked with had guns, deer or bird hunted but weren’t gun people. Only a few reloaded, fewer competed. Only one family member [on my wife’s side] reloaded and competed in High Power matches and shot at Camp Perry. Bad time to get into reloading imo unless you’re gifted a setup. Supplies are out there but spotty. Saw powder, bullets for a decent price Saturday at Raleigh but primers are still stupid. Good luck.

Boolit Master
    It hard for us old hands to actually address what's "right" for other people's reloading needs without projecting ourselves into it. Not only is that not fair to the noob, it's absolutely wrong more often than not. Not everyone is as nutty about reloading as I am so I never tell anyone else to buy what I like best.

Fact is, there are several valid justifications for reloading; each subdivision requires different tools for now and future goals. Just wanting "cheep" ammo for a game gun or occasional plinking ammo in common calibers is rarely cost effective.

About cost conscious reloaders; I believe most casual shooters on a tight budget will be much better served with .22 RF arms and ammo than a press. Not only are .22s fun, they're much more cost effective than reloading and the low noise/light recoil allow the casual gunner to better concentrate on the imperative shooting fundamentals of safety, grip, sight alignment, follow through, breathing and trigger control.

After several bricks of low cost .22 RF shooting his skills, tastes and experience will guide him to intelligently determine what the next level of his shooting desires might be. In my observed experience, most folks realistic desires will rarely include reloading.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    Look at where you are coming from - for everyone that is a different place. Did you KNOW you wanted to reload when you started shooting? Did you start with an unlimited budget? Did you Go All In right out of the chocks? I sure didn't and I don't believe most did either. I knew I wanted in, but not All In out of the gate.

You cannot sit in judgement - now - knowing what you know - now - and condemn a fellow who has NO IDEA what you mean by "main ammo supply" when there is practically no ammo on the LGS shelf or if there is, it costs and arm and a leg for 20 rounds.

Based on supply and demand - now - it is justifiable to start slow and ease into reloading with COST AVERAGING over time for the fellow that doesn't (can't / won't) shoot a lot. If his motivation and financial situation improve over time, he might reconsider and Go All In.

Heck, if he figures out he doesn't like it, he can sell his stuff for what he paid for it, or maybe make a slight profit, since he did the leg work to gather it together in this time of lack.
    No, I did not go all in. I found a used single stage press, 1 set of dies, a scale and a powder trickler. I did not even get all that at one time but that was my setup for almost two years. If I had started with a whack-a-mole I would have quit on the first session. I would rather encourage someone to put together a good small kit to start with rather than discourage them with the cheapest option just because it's the cheapest. Components are going to be the same no matter what the setup.

Agree
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

jmho - for the time being the current situation for what it currently is buying factory ammo on sale would be more economical for low usage - be on the lookout to find a deal on used equipment for future use - personally w/o reloading now i would not be shooting as often as i do - using decades old components + equipment - currently running low on wheel weights but have enough scrap lead to last longer then i do - anybody else buy a stockpile of primers when Clinton was president + he wanted to regulate storage life of primers ???
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Not a one size fits all answer. Every person is different. Different needs. Different attitude about the work, or for some fun, of reloading.

Teach them how to reload. They can determine for themselves if it is something they want to do.

Lastly, if a person cannot calculate the cost per round to reload, and determine if it makes economic sense, they should not be reloading. It is not a "nice" thing to say, but this is not an activity for foolish people.
    That's a blunt but very accurate statement. Realistically if they are "low volume" shooters because they have a family and other priorities, the chance they'll have time to reload is slim. I introduced a friend to shooting and he was interested in reloading so I showed him how my Hornady Lock and Load progressive press worked. Even on something like that he knew that the chance he'd find time to get it setup, learn the details of reloading and use it was slim. Between hauling around 3 school aged kids to sports and activities and working full time he's lucky to make it to the range once per month. Showing him all the steps that it takes on a single stage RCBS Rock Chucker would have been pointless as there would have been zero percent chance that would work out.

If I had shown him how a Lee Loader works, he would have fallen a sleep. If I had started on a Lee Loader I would have given up quickly.

Boolit Master

I bought land that came "loaded" with game in the form of feral hogs, deer, and turkey from the adjacent "No Hunting" State land. I had a LOT of "trigger time" when my kids were very young, bringing in meat for the table, and toward that effort my desire and need to reload became fundamental and necessary. I suppose I should have quit in discouragement as Lee Loaders are said to be no good and they're cheap though I made superb ammunition on them for 3 years.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

I think if they want to have a lifetime shooting sport then I would encourage them to get into reloading. They should start small and if possible buy used but good equipment, there is plenty available.
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master

Folks need to make ther own decision IMHO.

I reload to shoot it is a pain to do. When Surplus was very available, I did not load 1 round of ammo. I shot cheap and enjoyed every shot.

That time is over again. Now I reload so I can shoot more. Period.

Seems it has been hard to beat factory rounds for accuracy, but they are not available again, so reloading becomes necessary again.

Keeps repeating eh?

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    What does the cartridge or cartridges you want to shoot cost per 100 ? Do you shoot 100 of 2-3 per year ?

I started casting because 45 Colts jumped from $32/100 to 38/50 for 50 rounds marginally suited for my needs . I already reloaded so it was just a switch from shopping bullets to making my own .

The basic Lee kit was about $150 then and the RCBS Partner kit was about 180 . $25 for the mold , yard sale stuff to get the lead hot , and from the hot to the mould , about $10 .

At that time it cost me about $6/100 for Colts and 5/100 for 9/38/357 .

You can still get into the needed tools and basic essentials for 1000 rounds of most pistols and many rifles under $500 .
    Now I don't know what you're loading but 357 is hovering around 50/100 and 45 Colts is closer to 150/100 the last I looked . 264 WM pushes 250/100 . If you get a good break 223 is about $150/1000 and 9mm Wolf has been scene around 110/1000 . Do you shoot 20 reloads of a 70-80/100 every 5-6 weeks or are you still shooting those 100 rounds you bought with the new rifle in 2015 ?

Persuasive argument? I shoot a half dozen out of print and/or very expensive to shoot cartridges . If I only shot the 6.5&7.7 Japanese, 264 WM , 32 Rem , 45 Colts , and 45-70 , its a no brainer . Every one of those is pushing $50 a box at $80-250/100 , maybe more today . I don't shoot often enough but it's not unusual for me to burn 100-150 rounds when I do get out . I don't shoot the 10-15¢ a round FMJ 223 and 9mm so it makes sense for me to reload .

There is an App , reloaders assistant , that has a calculator for cost per component and load data to give you a guide for charge weight .
    At $14/100 for 14/20 AR family cartridges and as little as 8/100 for 45 Colts and 45-70 that is 80-150/100 on the shelf I almost can't afford to not reload and cast .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    If any of them shoots 45/70 the answer is yes it is worthwhile.

I think the comments about it being an individual decision are spot on. Here in NYS, where online ammo sales are basically prohibited if you want to insure that you will have ammo to put in the chamber of that uncommon or obsolete gun then you better be able to roll your own. Like the old credit card commercial used to say.....that’s priceless!

Boolit Master
    Define low volume. Because I reload, I can afford to shoot two thousand rounds a year when components are available. That's high volume to me, but it's nothing for some folks.

If you're a hunter, you burn half a box sighting in and the other half on game, and you're done for the year, then it's doubtful you will find much value in reloading as long as your accuracy needs are met by factory ammo.

It's not that you can't do it for 20 to 40 rounds a year, but anything more than a Lee Loader would be overkill, to me. I wouldn't bother. I probably would start thinking about it at 150rds+.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast