Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: WTB: .45 Caliber ML Barrel Blank OR .45 Numrich ML Drop In Barrel For 45/70 TD

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar

WTB: .45 Caliber ML Barrel Blank OR .45 Numrich ML Drop In Barrel For 45/70 TD

I have an under hammer percussion rifle (.36 cal) that I would like to have a .45 cal. Barrel for to switch out for using a variety of .45 cal. Boolits in for experimenting and for shooting from a bench.

I am seeking a .45 cal. slow twist barrel blank to make the barrel – needs it to be threaded for the a standard breech plug (I have several different sizes of the under hammer style breech plugs on hand) and otherwise, un-molested octagon barrel. The heavier the barrel (seeking octagon barrel) the better, but will consider all size options and lengths. I will locate, D & T nipple hole into the barrel after fitting to the under hammer action and then decide if I am going to dovetail for conventional open sights or mount a scope on it. If anyone has such a blank laying around that they are willing to sell reasonable, please PM me. I am not interested in a “take off” barrel from a rifle that has been already dovetailed, drilled and tapped for a drum/nipple, under rib screw holes, etc.

MY OTHER OPTION . . . .

If someone had one of the old “drop in” Numrich barrels that Dixie and others used to sell that were .45 caliber and made to “drop in” on a 45-70 Trapdoor where it easily installed and you just had to switch out to a Model 1863/64 Springfield hammer, I would be interested in that if the bore was in good shootable shape. Outeer finish not a biggie as I can refinish as long as it isn't badly pitted, etc. I have an ’84 Trapdoor that would work well with one of those drop in barrels and it would save making the barrel for my under hammer.

Just wanted to see if anyone had a barrel blank or one of the Numrich drop in .45 muzzleloading barrels for the trapdoors. Please drop me a PM if you do. Many thanks.

Jim

Boolit Buddy
    I have one of the trapdoor conversion kits. I don't think it has ever been used looks new. Have no idea what a fair price would be. I would have to get it out but I think that it had a hammer with it.

baogongmeo - Thank you - I'm very interested - PM coming. Thankyou.

Jim

Boolit Master
    I have an octagon 45-70 barrel
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Thanks for your kind reply cabezaverde, but I'm looking for a .45 "muzzleloading barrel" - .450 slow twist. With the boolits I want to test and play with a 45-70 bore would be too large.

6. 08-09-2022, 05:17 PM
    Reason
    Discussion

Boolit Master
    I have an octagon 45 barrel blank 32 inch .452 not tapped. The outside has some surface rust but the bore is good. Looks to be 1/20 twist but I can't be 100% on that because I'm at my summer house in Massachusetts that we just sold and most of my stuff has already been moved. It's yours for postage if you want it.

Thank you everybody for your kind responses - they are greatly appreciated!

Needs have been met. Thank you again.

Jim