Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Crazy Powders

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by unique View Post
    I got a deal on 32 LBS Keg of Blue Dot a few years back so this motivated me to try it out in a number for cartridges and various loadings. One thing I can tell you is Blue Dot is squirrely or crazy as the op indicated. I like it and use it a lot but it ain't anything like Unique which is linear and predictable. What I saw in 357 Mag was some extremely high pressures randomly for mid-loadings of cast bullets. I actually have a note in my journal where I exclaimed that the powder was Bat SH!T Crazy stuff so I think it supports the title of this thread.
    I've been loading with bluedot for as long as I've been reloading. I don't know the exact year I started, it's between 15 and 20 years. Not once have I ever had a surprise from bluedot. I have loaded it in every single cartridge I've owned. Multiple shotgun gauges, all the magnum handguns, the common pistols like 9mm, 40 s&w, 45 acp, 10mm auto, many bottleneck rifle rounds like 308 and 30-06, you name it. I don't think I've ever seen a high pressure sign with it in 357 magnum, although I'm sure it's possible.

That's the characteristic of bluedot, it is one of the most linear and predictable powders there are. I check most of my loads with a chronograph too, so I'm not just playing it by eye. It is one of the most consistent powders I've ever worked with. Velocity spreads are really good, accuracy is phenomenal.

You are saying the opposite of what it is. Something you are doing is wrong. It isn't the powder.

^^^^^^^Agreed^^^^^^^
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I've been loading with bluedot for as long as I've been reloading. I don't know the exact year I started, it's between 15 and 20 years. Not once have I ever had a surprise from bluedot. I have loaded it in every single cartridge I've owned. Multiple shotgun gauges, all the magnum handguns, the common pistols like 9mm, 40 s&w, 45 acp, 10mm auto, many bottleneck rifle rounds like 308 and 30-06, you name it. I don't think I've ever seen a high pressure sign with it in 357 magnum, although I'm sure it's possible.

That's the characteristic of bluedot, it is one of the most linear and predictable powders there are. I check most of my loads with a chronograph too, so I'm not just playing it by eye. It is one of the most consistent powders I've ever worked with. Velocity spreads are really good, accuracy is phenomenal.

You are saying the opposite of what it is. Something you are doing is wrong. It isn't the powder.
    Agreed
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Just perusing old files. I've had successful Blue Dot loads ranging from 9500 psi to 37,000 psi in cartridges as small as my centerfire .25 Stevens conversion to as large as the 7.5x55 Swiss. In some cases I've found marginally better powders, but none of the Blue Dot loads have been total flops, and none have shown any signs of instability. My reloading has slowed as I age out, but I'm glad I've still got most of an eight-pounder left, in case the powder famine gets significantly worse.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I find unique, red dot and blue dot (the flake powders I have on hand) hard to get consistent metering through my Dillon measures. So I don’t use them.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Buddy
    "You are saying the opposite of what it is. Something you are doing is wrong. It isn't the powder."

Well I can't stop chuckling after reading that. Thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    Back to the original OP question. Two other powders that I found to be crazy are H335 and Win785. I suppose I could go into why but then again I would only find out I was doing something wrong and I don't think I can handle the fact that my last 60 years of reloading was a really just a fools errand.

Cheers.

Boolit Master
    Anytime, ANYTIME, that reloaders use propellants outside their intended "spectrum of use", results of a "crazy" nature are in the offing.
    Fast-burning powders in the Bullseye/Red Dot range are WONDERFUL for use for small capacity, moderate pressure rounds. Try to use them to obtain magnum performance in any of the original magnum cartridges or the "hand cannon" calibers developed later, and it's an engraved invitation to pressure excursions and damaged EVERYTHING. There's also the strong likelihood of double-charges, a completely separate source of disasters.
    SOME slower-burning "magnum pistol" propellants, like 2400 and (perhaps) the 4227s can be loaded down, to moderate velocities and pressures, but they do not burn cleanly, and may give poor accuracy. Magnum primers MIGHT help with the expected incomplete burn, but may introduce other problems. Very pronounced crimping sometimes improves things.
    Propellants in the Green Dot to Blue Dot range can USUALLY be loaded up OR down, to somewhat overlap the performance spectra of the faster and slower powders, but they do not burn cleanly at lower pressures, and tend to get "peaky" (MY experience) when pressed hard to do the job of a true magnum pistol powder. I've actually loaded six rounds of the same propellant, projectile, case manufacture, primer, O.A.L., EVERYTHING, and 2 or 3 of the 6 rounds would show flattened primers, next to primers that looked PERFECTLY normal.
    In times of shortages of nearly all things shooting-related, it IS tempting to try to substitute components intended for certain uses, for others. SOMETIMES, or maybe even USUALLY, there are no ill effects. But complacency can result in disaster. We've all been admonished about this in one or the other loading manual, yet how quickly we often forget.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Quote Originally Posted by unique View Post
    Back to the original OP question. Two other powders that I found to be crazy are H335 and Win785. I suppose I could go into why but then again I would only find out I was doing something wrong and I don't think I can handle the fact that my last 60 years of reloading was a really just a fools errand.

Cheers.
    Well, it's long been said that "there's no fool like an old fool". I should know, 'cause I see one in the mirror every morning.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    USCRA112 you should be kinder to yourself. SOME people think that the difference between "innovator" and "old fool" is the success or failure of their brainchild. To ME, it's the thought process. It takes a keen and agile mind to approach a problem from a different perspective (these says, I think it's called "out of the box thinking"), and to come up with even a REMOTELY plausible solution.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    Try magnum primers? May solve you ignition problems ??

Boolit Master
    GONRA uses Blue Dot for .44 mag, .44 Auto Mag, .45 Win Mag autopistol loads..

Boolit Grand Master
    Win 296 is a magnum powder. Works great in that capacity. Used it for .30 carbine loads as well.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Use a stronger match, a mag primer>>

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234