Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Powders

Boolit Master

Crazy Powders

I have decided that I am not interested in H110/296. They have poor ignition characteristics, that can make things go boom with light loads. I know it’s not just because H110/296 is a slow burning powder, because Accurate 5744 is slower with much better ignition characteristics.
    Blue Dot seems to have inconsistent behaviors at the extremes of winter/summer temperatures, and I have read about things going boom with BD.
    What other known powders have strange or inconsistent behaviors? I’d rather just avoid these.

Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    I have decided that I am not interested in H110/296. They have poor ignition characteristics, that can make things go boom with light loads. I know it’s not just because H110/296 is a slow burning powder, because Accurate 5744 is slower with much better ignition characteristics.
    Blue Dot seems to have inconsistent behaviors at the extremes of winter/summer temperatures, and I have read about things going boom with BD.
    What other known powders have strange or inconsistent behaviors? I’d rather just avoid these.
    I have used H110 in both the .357 and .22 hornet with consistent ignition if you use the right primer. And I have been doing so for about 50 years.

ACC

H110/296 is not a strange or inconsistent powder. It is a magnum powder, designed for full power loads. Trying to get it to work in "light" or "standard" loads goes against instructions from Hodgdon and reloading manuals. It is not just the burn speed, or burn speed and spherical shape but also the deterrent coatings.

Boolit Master
    I understand H110/296 can work for a lifetime when properly applied. Nonetheless, it has a narrow range of safe application.

Boolit Man
    H110 and H380 are in my "Tried it and nope, not for me" category too.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVIDMAGNUM View Post
    H110/296 is not a strange or inconsistent powder. It is a magnum powder, designed for full power loads. Trying to get it to work in "light" or "standard" loads goes against instructions from Hodgdon and reloading manuals. It is not just the burn speed, or burn speed and spherical shape but also the deterrent coatings.
    Exactly. In fact I have a very good load for my 357 Magnum Henry rifle that shoots great in the rifle but very poorly and inconsistently in my 357 Ruger revolver. The lower pressure developed in the revolver (cylinder gap and shorter barrel) just isn't enough for good ignition. H110/W296 likes pressure to burn well.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    I have used lots of H110/W296 and still use it for a very few select applications.

When I was looking to move to something less finicky than the above, I saw enough reports of "problems" with Lil Gun to stay away from it.

Now days I much prefer to use:

- Heavy Pistol (nearly the same as AA 9) for applications where a little faster than H110 is good.

- WC 680 (milsurp version of 1680) for applications where a little slower than H110 is good.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    …shoots great in the rifle but very poorly and inconsistently in my 357 Ruger revolver.
    That’s the sort of thing I’m getting at. A surprisingly narrow range of application.
    For all those that love H110 - great. I’m trying to learn about the landscape of powders so I can avoid powders with a surprising lack of versatility.
    One powder I do have that is marginal in versatility is Ramshot Silhouette (used to be labeled WAP). It basically should not be used wherever a roll crimp is employed, at least that is what I am concluding. When I compare it’s load data across a range of calibers, it seems to have a stronger than normal relationship between pressure and burn rate. I’ve rationalized that a strong roll crimp might result in a pressure spike, kinda like a runaway condition. I could be way off base, but .38 Special is the only revolver cartridge that has load data with Sillouette and only in newer manuals.

Boolit Master

After much "hoopla" with my Smith 500 I put the H110 aside and found that IMR4227 works wonders! FAR more accurate, forgivable loads and cleaner burn.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

For me, H110/W296 makes the .30 Carbine, .300BO, and .41 magnum be "all they can be"- perfectly. No problems using it for what it is.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NObamain2012 View Post
    H110 and H380 are in my "Tried it and nope, not for me" category too.
    What’s the deal with H380?

Boolit Master
    I like Silhouette with 170gr pills in .38spl +p with a heavy roll crimp. Burns very clean compared to Bullseye with the same boolits/lube.

I also use Silhouette in .45 auto with 200gr hp boolits and also find it much cleaner than the same bullet with Bullseye.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Shooters World Heavy Pistol is a good alternative.

Boolit Man
    H380? poor accuracy in a half dozen calibers I tried it in. And a tar-like powder fouling that was a real buzzard to clean.

Perfect use for all the magnum primers I have accumulated in my inventory.

Boolit Master

I don't think that the powders are crazy, some powders just have a much more limited range of application than others. As long as you don't try to use a powder for something it was not intended for they get their job done.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Moderator Emeritus

Gee, H110 is my GoTo powder for Hot 41mag (or 44 mag) loads with heavy projectiles. Surprisingly accurate.
    Yeah, I guess it's use is narrow.

One crazy powder not yet mentioned, is Lil'Gun. It's reported to erode revolver metal lickity split.
    Now I do use it for 22 Hornet (rifle) with jacketed bullets....and love it for that.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

H110/296 has been my go-to powder for heavy loads in 357mag and 44 mag for years.
    I have used many pounds of it for that purpose without issues.
    I have always used magnum primers with theses powders in handguns.
    296 has been my go-to powder in my 22 Hornet with jacketed bullets.
    Small pistol primers were used in the Hornet.

Boolit Master
    In older Lyman manuals H-110 had listed starting loads in the less than 20000 cup range whereas Win 296 did not. Did something change along the way with H-110? Is the newer H-110 just W296 relabeled?

It seems that certain powders have a narrow range compared to others but all of them have a range. It's become prevalent during the drought that some folks try using what they have or can get to accomplish what they need but may not be well suited for the load they attempting to use.

Not a Trail Boss user but it had limitations from what I've read and understand.

Boolit Buddy

Crazy Powders

For h110, I get what you mean. A magnum or SR primer and a strong crimp are necessary for reliable ignition and clean burn.

However if your shooting a revolver hot you definitely want a good crimp no matter what powder you use. The bullet jumping out of the brass under recoil is no good.

For light loads I prefer bullseye. In my experience it’s reliable ignition even with my weaker handmade primers. I’ve used it in subsonic rifle cartridges that don’t need a suppressor to be quiet, and I’ve used it in handguns frequently. Even down to .5 grains in a large case it will go off. And depending on the boolit even send something out the barrel. Albeit at a stones toss trajectory.

A heavy dose of bullseye is not a lot of physical powder mind you. Be wary of not double charging a case with it. A lot of men have lost the use of a good 38special handgun and possibly a digit or two. “I only loaded 4 grains” twice by accident will destroy medium cartridges.

But it ignites easily, generates a fair amount of gas, nets you decent velocity, and is accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast